Cheap Chinese vs Cheapish Conversion?

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Check the sizes of the cells in that battery very carefully, They're bigger than they look. You need room for the BMS too, but you can mount it in a separate box under the lower cross-bar with the controller.

The bottle batteries have three sections inside, which could be separated and put one behind the other instead of on end to end to fit in your box.

The 85 motor is smaller and less powerful than the 100 version. It's narrower to fit in narrower forks. You need to check the width between the front drop-outs of your bike when it arrives. Hopefully 100mm for the 100 motor. You also need to check that they don't narrow down too quickly to catck on the motor side-plate.

I was going to suggest using GRP,. I think it's a good solution. I'll be using it on my next project.
Yes, I was just reading another topic about a converted hybrid with 16 or so cells and they seemed huge. Highly technical cereal box mock up will happen once amazon gives me my bike.

What is GRP?

Looking at the bottle batteries they seem to be li-ion instead of lifepo4. Lots of stuff seems to point at lifepo4 as longer lasting and stuff. Is still a bit dazzling with so many figures and iffy translations tbh.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
GRP is Glass Reinforced Plastic, or fibre glass.

As far as understand it, comparing Li-ion to LiFePo4:
LiFePo4 slightly more expensive, but will last for more discharge cycles. I think it has a higher energy density, but is more likely to burn your house down. Charging seems to more of a hassle, as most people charge the cells/packs individually (possibly because they value house/family).

D

Deleted member 4366

That's lipos, Mike. By Li-ion people usually mean LiMnCo.

The comparison is LiFePO4 is bigger, heavier, less energy density, more expensive and longer life. The shorter life of Li-on is not really an issue when you're still talking about years, after which there'll probably be better batteries. The lighter weight and smaller size are more of an advantage than longer life.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
That's lipos, Mike. By Li-ion people usually mean LiMnCo.

The comparison is LiFePO4 is bigger, heavier, less energy density, more expensive and longer life. The shorter life of Li-on is not really an issue when you're still talking about years, after which there'll probably be better batteries. The lighter weight and smaller size are more of an advantage than longer life.
Quote'the lighter weight and smaller size are more of an advantage than longer life'....thats really a statement based upon your own abilities,ie the ability to build another battery at low cost....but the average ebike user is often faced with paying £400 plus to replace his Li-Ion battery,sometimes after only 2 years,then the lighter weight and smaller size is more difficult to quantify.
With regard to safety,LifePo4 was always considered the most stable of the Lithium family of batteries.
However,I accept it has its limitations when less bulk and lightweight are the priority over longer life -really a case of 'horses for courses'.
KudosDave

Last edited:

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
GRP is Glass Reinforced Plastic, or fibre glass.

As far as understand it, comparing Li-ion to LiFePo4:
LiFePo4 slightly more expensive, but will last for more discharge cycles. I think it has a higher energy density, but is more likely to burn your house down. Charging seems to more of a hassle, as most people charge the cells/packs individually (possibly because they value house/family).
I wish I could find where this came from, Ive trawled the net and can only find 2 cases of Life po4 catching fire and that was down to faulty bms

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
So where I am building a fibreglass cover for some sort of housing for them(likely make a clamp to fit my frame tubes and the battery holder things with the headway cells) then longer life will be better as I won't have to fiberglass/rebuild the housing for it.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Ok, having had a measure of that space, it also is 3 inches between the 2 side bars that make up that middle bar.

Considering a pannier front wheel kit now, less battery building and I'm really not sure I can fit much/any battery in that space.

edit - oh and the handlebars are 29 inches wide making my bike wider than some motorbikes lol