Cheap saddles in Aldi

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
I just wanted to share ....

I went in Aldi's at the weekend and spotted an enorous pile of £5 saddles - thought I might as well give one a go as the standard one on my Windsor is far too squashy and wide for my taste. After all, it couldn't be worse and for a fiver you can't go far wrong!

There's three to choose from - MTB/Racing (narrow and hard with the centre cut-out, Trekking (a little wider, no cut-out) and Touring (wide and squashy a-la Windsor). They are all gel saddles, but apart from the Touring one, they certainly aren't overly squashy. My other half's Giant Sedona's standard saddle is softer (but a very similar shape and size to the Trekking saddle)

I bought a Trekking one as the MTB/Racing one looked a little extreme and on the long side and I have to say that it is a massive improvement over the original saddle. I've just taken it for a spin and I'm really pleased with it - so much so that I'm going to buy one for my daughter's bike as her saddle has definitely seen better days.

I don't know how long they're in store, but given the pile that our little Aldi had, I'm guessing it wasn't the last day or two of the promotion!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks nin26. I've just looked this up and it's an offer from Thursday 1st May, so there should still be some in many branches. here's a link to look at them:

Aldi Saddle Offer

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
Thank you for the link Flecc - I didn't think to look them up on the website myself!

Oh, one thing that might be worth mentioning for anyone that's intersted in getting one - it says on the website that the saddles, Trekking and City? ( the one marked Touring instore, I assume) have reflectors front and rear. Mine has a reflective red sticker and the back is that reflective silver material that some saddles have, but I don't know what they mean about a front reflector, as I can't see anything reflective on the front. There wasn't really a choice a colours or fabrics like the website said either - it was more like any colour you like as long as it's black ......;)

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
At a similar set of bike equipement recently on sale at Lidl's, I bought a £2.99 cycle computer. It matches my £20 Cateye brilliantly. However, since the warmer weather, the display goes to pot, the battery then has to be removed/replaced (not renewed), the computer has to be reset and all data is lost ie useless!! So, I've bought a £2.99 spare battery - there's always a silver lining somewhere!

Last edited:

Julian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2008
Somerset, BA3
I also have a £4.99 bike computer from Aldi, so far it's been unaffected by the hot weather. But the speedo seemed to be reading a bit low so when I got back from a ride yesterday I checked the distance against Google maps. The computer said 12 miles but Google said 20 miles!

A bit of googling shows that other people have the same problem and the answer is to set it up in km and then switch to miles (although I haven't tried it yet).

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I just wanted to share ....

I went in Aldi's at the weekend and spotted an enorous pile of £5 saddles - thought I might as well give one a go as the standard one on my Windsor is far too squashy and wide for my taste. After all, it couldn't be worse and for a fiver you can't go far wrong!
i bought one on saturday to replace the original powabyke seat...It looks a lot better but i am not convinced on comfort levels...The powabyke seat left no pain after several miles but the aldi one leaves me with a backside like a chimp at chester zoo !!! Maybe i need to do more cycling to harden up my backside or invest in some padded shorts.......

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
Isn't that funny - I found the orignal padded one on my Windsor made my backside incredible sore after a few miles - but I can out-ride the battery's range quite happily with the Aldi saddle.

Maybe it is down to the shape and size of my bum - any extra padding is probably overkill! :D

On a similar note, my OH took his Suzuki Burgman 400 on a round trip of over 500 miles at the weekend. Compared to the leatherette-bound breadboard that passes for a seat on most motorcycles, the Burgman has the most luxurious seat imaginable - which for short trips is nothing less than armchair comfort levels.

Still, by the time he got home from his long trip he was in utter agony - said it was the most uncomfortable motorcycle seat he had ever had the misfortune of using! I had wondered about how the small engined bike would manage on a long trip - but I'd never considered that the seat would be uncomfortable given all that padding.