China to universally adopt EU legal standards

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This article states China is requiring e-bike manufacturers to have all their models complying to EU standards, including EN 15194.

This will really upset their internal market. but it again shows how the EU standards are becoming nearer to a world standard. Many other countries or States including in the Far East have adopted or intend to adopt the same standards.

Here's the link

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
That's me up the creek then!!

My 68v bike weighs a ton and goes like the clappers. Fortunately I know the chinese for 'I do not understand'. So will sit on my bike and keep reciting it when the cops try to take it from me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know how they view changes in law IOM, but I would think making it retrospective would be impossible, knowing how common bikes like yours are there.

Hopefully you will be able to carry on until the bike is worn out, or at least for a given period since they intend a phase in of the change.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
The laws will be left up to the local councils to decide when they change them.

Whilst Chinese have a reputation for being harsher than the West (although in reality modern China especially the South is now surprisingly more tolerant about many aspects of life than many other Asian nations) they are pragmatic enough to realise they can't change things immediately, and may well even give some more leeway to foreigners who are doing useful work in their country.

what is more interesting is that they have even done this, knowing that it would cause their domestic businessmen potential hardship (whereas other safety rules aren't as widely enforced!)

Perhaps the amount of injury or even fatal RTC's caused by illegally powered bikes has reached the point in some areas where the authorities there realised the laissez-faire approach no longer works?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps the amount of injury or even fatal RTC's caused by illegally powered bikes has reached the point in some areas where the authorities there realised the laissez-faire approach no longer works?
That is what I'd read previously, the accident rate is apparently now viewed as unacceptable and they had already been attempting crackdowns with only limited success.