Chosing a bike for electrification.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Around March/April timeframe my company is likely to make the purchase of a new bike available under the cycle to work scheme. It's only open for one month and will more than likeley be restricted to bikes purchased from Evans.

I'm starting to think through options. While I really like my current Brompton set up, I'm finding that the Brompton struggles with some of the rough winter conditions. Some of the roads can get muddy and/or flooded and I'm spending quite a bit of time cleaning it to keep it running smoothly. I'd also like the option of winter tyres to keep me going in snowy conditions.

My main motivation for getting the Brompton was that it doesn't take too much space in the house. We would like to move soon though so this restriction may be lifted however we do, a reasonably lightweight bike would be good as I'm likely to need to lug it from hallway to basement at times.

Having done a DIY electric job on the Brompton I'd be reasonably confident I could do it on any bike - and due to the limited range of ebikes at Evans will likely be my only option. I haven't decided on a motor yet. I thought I'd focus on the bike first and then look at the possibilities w.r.t the motor.

So - what should I chose for my donor bike. Our scheme will in theory allow us to purchase a bike up to £2000 - though I wouldn't really want to spend more than about £1000 on the bike. It would be a hybrid (or possibly MTB).
I would definitely need to be able to fit good mudguards and a rack.
I haven't yet decided on the type of brakes or gears, though I'm quite attracted by the idea of disk brakes and hub gears for relatively low maintenance - provided the weight is reasonably low.

So what do you suggest? It's probably not worth looking at the 2010 model bikes in the sale as these are unlikely to be available when the scheme opens.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Just buy an electric bike from Evans and save all the bother.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
??? where's the fun in that!

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Just buy an electric bike from Evans and save all the bother.
I did look at these but they're not quite what I'm looking for. I can't help thinking I'd get a better spec bike and more flexibility by going down the DIY route. In particular I want to be able to reuse my A123 battery pack which I currently use for the Brompton. It only weights 1Kg but provides plenty of assistance for my daily commute. A larger expensive battery is just a waste of money for me.

And also, as already pointed out, there is the "Where's the fun in that argument" :)

I had loads of fun converting the Brompton and it's turned into a bit of a hobby.

overthehill

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
Good Question

In theory use a nominal max figure of £1000 for the purchase of the donor bike and max £1000 for the e conversion. If you had the free funds what would you choose.

Idealy I would prefer rear hub e conversion ruling out alfine hubs etc.
Or with a crank drive conversion alfine hubs would be ok but not sure about availability of affordable crank drive system.
It would be essential for the conversion to have good hill climbing ability which I believe rules out front drive hubs.
Alex

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
It would be essential for the conversion to have good hill climbing ability which I believe rules out front drive hubs.
Alex
Well yes and no... front hub drives also give good hill climbing ability just as good as rear in fact....but only up to a point. If the hill is very steep its front wheel grip that limits them, they are good enough IMHO for all but the very steepest of hill IE 20%+ of which thankfully there aren't too many about.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
In theory use a nominal max figure of £1000 for the purchase of the donor bike and max £1000 for the e conversion. If you had the free funds what would you choose.

Idealy I would prefer rear hub e conversion ruling out alfine hubs etc.
Or with a crank drive conversion alfine hubs would be ok but not sure about availability of affordable crank drive system.
Alex
My bike is front wheel drive and the motor/battery give up before the wheel gives up grip- there's one hill I don't get up, and a couple where I have to stop to let myself recover.

Pob

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Specialized MTB, Trek MTB, Cube, BeOne just get a front suspension only not rear. Then get a front hub motor kit from Alien, Sunlova etc etc etc

You can have a nice bike with electrics for less that £2000

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I have a new Moulton TSR2 as shown below. It has front/back suspension, the recently released S/A two speed kickback rear hub with a back pedal brake and is belt driven as well. I have been told the belt is good for 60,000 Km.

So far I am pretty impressed with the belt drive. The bike splits in two for easy transport and the belt keeps everything oil free, when I put it in the car.

I have resisted the temptation to "E" it, though one of my Tongxins would go nicely in those front forks :p

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

clv101

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2010
Bristol
Specialized MTB, Trek MTB, Cube, BeOne just get a front suspension only not rear. Then get a front hub motor kit from Alien, Sunlova etc etc etc

You can have a nice bike with electrics for less that £2000
Is there anyone like Alien and Sunlova, selling more powerful kits in the UK? I'm thinking along the lines of the BMC-V2 600W hub motor.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Have you checked the new cycle to work rules? It wasn't a fantastic deal before and it's got worse, couple that with being tied to Evans who send your bike all over the country for a simple warranty fix. :(

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Have you checked the new cycle to work rules? It wasn't a fantastic deal before and it's got worse, couple that with being tied to Evans who send your bike all over the country for a simple warranty fix. :(
As I understand it the main change has been a 'clarification' in how to calculate fair market value that the bike is purchased for at the end of the deal.

Cycle to work scheme "fair market value" clarified by HMRC - Employment Law News - Legal Updates - Clarkslegal LLP

Wheras before, companies typically set some arbitrary rate like 5% of the purchase price or some nominal value like £1

The workaround to this I guess is for the company to only transfer ownership after 6 years when the value has depreciated to nothing. This would be O.K. except for the likes of the regular commuter who might reasonably expect to replace their bike on a more regular basis than this.

Presumably the very recent increase in VAT makes the scheme very slightly more attractive though perhaps not enough to offset the new final market value rules.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Wow that Moulton bike is awesome - love the design of it.
Yep they are nice bikes, but a bit niche. This bike is great for Cambridge where its pretty flat and two gears are more than enough. Also as there are no cables, except the front brake, it makes seperating the bike really easy. Other models which include more gears, require you break the cables apart as well when you seperate it.

More info here

I have also converted an older (40 years) original Raleigh Moulton just for fun, see here, but now its back stock. Having front and rear suspension makes for a really comfortable ride with smaller wheels.

The TSR2 has slightly larger 20" wheels than the 16" ones on my Brompton and old Raliegh Moulton MK3 shown above.

I mainly use the TSR2 at weekends as I am trying to build up my fitness. My EBrompton gets used for work commute daily though, weather permitting. The MK3, now back stock, is my shopping bike.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited: