Chris Karasavvas Business Development 3E Electric Bikes

christos

Just Joined
Feb 27, 2012
Hi, I am brand new to this forum so feel free to tease as much as you like but I am not new to business development. I would firstly like to hear from any 3E owners out there with both your good stories and bad( if any! ).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. I saw the blog announcement introducing your company, but don't know of any members owing a 3E bike yet. Interesting that you are using Lishen's LiFeMgPO4 chemistry battery, hopefully should be long lived.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

I would like echo Flecc's welcome Chris,

I am sure you will find the forum informative, interesting, entertaining and occsionally controversial.

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010
Hi Flecc, yes..they are fantastic cells LiFeMgPo4. We have users using it for 2 years and still going strong. They are power cells, but low in capacity/weight. The parameter consistancy is brilliant. Since last year, we also explored low weight batteries, but we have a very strict rule for the battery manufacturer, only Lishen CLASS A cells as they are number 1 in China and most professional.

We are testing out Sumsang CLASS A cells too at the moment.. did you come across them before?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We are testing out Sumsang CLASS A cells too at the moment.. did you come across them before?
I don't know for sure, I've only come across their 18650 cells that Derby Cycles/Kalkhoff are using in their batteries now. I suspect the ones you mention may be different though.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi Flecc, yes..they are fantastic cells LiFeMgPo4. We have users using it for 2 years and still going strong. They are power cells, but low in capacity/weight. The parameter consistancy is brilliant. Since last year, we also explored low weight batteries, but we have a very strict rule for the battery manufacturer, only Lishen CLASS A cells as they are number 1 in China and most professional.

And with a stated weight, including, battery, of 17.2kg for the Sport model! Is this correct?

If so that's of great interest.

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010
spelling error

And with a stated weight, including, battery, of 17.2kg for the Sport model! Is this correct?

If so that's of great interest.
Hi Vectra,

I made a spelling mistake replying your email you sent earlier on. The sport is 17.2 kg without the battery. 20Kg with the battery.

Regards

hgbiker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
I will be taking delivery of a new 3e Sport this week and weather permitting giving it a good run along some local cycle routes on the weekend.

I have had two test rides and it's certainly a light bike with a very neat battery. I was amazed at how light the battery was.

Good styling and range of equipment including disc brakes. I particularly liked the smooth assistance that the bike delivered. The mountain bike tyres were nice and squashy and added to the comfort of the ride in my view.

The comments made above concerning the Lishen batteries are reassuring. These have apparently got a good reputation.

I will post a full review for members information next week.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi Vectra,

I made a spelling mistake replying your email you sent earlier on. The sport is 17.2 kg without the battery. 20Kg with the battery.

Regards
Hi. Thank you for the clarification. Both the Sport model, for me, and the stepthrough, for my wife, are of interest still.
Regards

Deano

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2012
Forgive my ignorance but this reads like you are researching battery technology. Ae yo manufacturing in UK. What's the situation here?

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010
Forgive my ignorance but this reads like you are researching battery technology. Ae yo manufacturing in UK. What's the situation here?
Hi Deano,

We are a electric bike manufacturer, we don't manufacture battery. But we test their performance before we introduce them in our range. Lishen is well known for solid power cells and the class A cells performance fantastically on our bikes.

Samsung is another maker of lithium batteries, it is not on our bike yet as we are testing them.

Best regards

Taylorathome

Just Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Hi just arrived home with my 3e sport

Hi Deano,

We are a electric bike manufacturer, we don't manufacture battery. But we test their performance before we introduce them in our range. Lishen is well known for solid power cells and the class A cells performance fantastically on our bikes.

Samsung is another maker of lithium batteries, it is not on our bike yet as we are testing them.

Best regards
Hi just arrived home with my 3e Sport purchased from The bike outlet in york it was there last one a demo model i paid a great price i think £650 am well pleased, i will let you know how i get along after i'v been out a few times, all looks good, disks front and rear, good styling, and the bike looks solid.
regards Darren

Taylorathome

Just Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Hi just arrived home with my 3e Sport purchased from The bike outlet in york it was there last one a demo model i paid a great price i think £650 am well pleased, i will let you know how i get along after i'v been out a few times, all looks good, disks front and rear, good styling, and the bike looks solid.
regards Darren
Hi
I'v had my 3E Sport for a week now, I was itching to give it a whirl, so last night in between the thunder,lightning and heavy showers there was a break.
Off I went covering about 7 miles on a mixture of bridal paths, woodland tracks, single tracks and country roads it was very wet and muddy, its fairly hilly where I live.

Today I had jobs to do locally, involving an 11 mile round trip mainly on roads with some long hills. On the way home it was very windy.

Well I have to say, I haven't had as much fun on a bike since I got my first Chopper ! The bike has performed great, sure its not as good a fully fledged mountain bike but thats the compromise, the ability to ride up hills and into a head wind without changing my effort makes cycling a pleasure, I have only used the throttle on the odd occasion, the combination of three power settings and seven gears work really well enabling you to fine tune your peddle rate, the brakes do their job well and the shocks absorb some of the bumps, however the back end feels a bit heavy but thats because it is. I think I will use this bike a lot more than an unpowered bike it's just more fun!

After last nights muddy and wet outing, I cleaned, dried and wd40 the bike, I noticed that a lot of electrics are housed underneath the crank in a hard plastic like box the sides held on with four small screws, knowing that electrics, water and dirt don't mix I have some, well lots of question.

Would it be a good idea to seal this with some water proof tape or would it overheat ?
Same question about the controller is it best to cover with a small plastic bag when riding in light rain ?
While riding down long hill sections should I turn the power off or just stay in low/med power ?
If I peddle faster than 15mph am I using battery power ?
Should I charge the battery regardless of journey length i.e. over 7/12 miles.
If the battery is left charging over six hours will it do damage ?

If anybody can offer me any advice on the above questions it would be greatly appreciated.

In conclusion I'm delighted with this bike and with a few tweaks I hope it will prove to be reliable and not break, only time and miles will tell.
ps
I'm very tempted to upgrade the battery to 36v 18 Ah that must be good for 60/70 miles ?

Kind regards,
Darren Taylor