Cleaning and maintaining chain on eBike

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I recently bought myself a new eBike to replace my old Carrera Crossfire E. The bike I bought is a Giant Fathom E+ 3 and it’s a joy to ride and I am very pleased with it. However for my new eBike to last long I will obviously need to clean and maintain it. However, there is a problem when cleaning the chain because on the Giant eBikes when I turn the pedals backwards the chain doesn’t move like it does on other bikes and eBikes.

I was going to turn my eBike upside down to turn the pedals forward to clean the chain but have read and been told that it is bad for the bike if I do that. Please advise.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Why doesn't the chain/transmission turn backwards? Seems to be a standard deraileur set up. Are you sure the indexing is set up properly?
With hydraulic brakes you should be alright inverting the bike so long as you don't activate the brake lever whilst inverted, Once upright, if there is a problem with the brakes, it will likely be air. Pull the lever in and hold it, overnight, with an elastic band or similar. This often sorts it without having to bleed the brakes.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I recently bought myself a new eBike to replace my old Carrera Crossfire E. The bike I bought is a Giant Fathom E+ 3 and it’s a joy to ride and I am very pleased with it. However for my new eBike to last long I will obviously need to clean and maintain it. However, there is a problem when cleaning the chain because on the Giant eBikes when I turn the pedals backwards the chain doesn’t move like it does on other bikes and eBikes.

I was going to turn my eBike upside down to turn the pedals forward to clean the chain but have read and been told that it is bad for the bike if I do that. Please advise.
Pictures or a video might help further.
Maybe the deraluere (Spelling?) spring is not set up strong enough? Or it needs oiling...
regards
Andy

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I took my Giant Fathom E+ back to the bike shop I bought it from and explained to the manager that when I move or pedal backwards the chain doesn’t move and he told me that it is normal on the Giant eBikes. It would be great if anyone on this forum who has a Giant eBike too can confirm this.

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
Pictures or a video might help further.
Maybe the deraluere (Spelling?) spring is not set up strong enough? Or it needs oiling...
regards
Andy
What I mean is when I turn the crank backwards the chain and chainset doesn’t move. Only the crank moves backwards. The chain and chainset only moves when I am peddling or turning the crank forward.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Yes, the motor is in the centre of the bike where the crank is. On my old eBike the motor was on the back wheel.
Then the new bike is normal.
What happens is that the pedals are connected to the chain wheel by a dog clutch (sort of glorified ratchet), so that when you pedal, the chain wheels turns, but if you stop pedalling, the clutch opens. Back pedalling when stationary has the same effect.
The electric motor is also connected to the chain wheel by a dog clutch, so that if you have a throttle, the motor can turn the chain wheel without causing the pedals to turn.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Reactions: Deus

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
AHHH!!
There are lube units that you sit on the chain, fill with oil,raise the rear wheel and move the chain in a forwards direction.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Chain-Cleaner-Bike-Maintenance-Tools-Lubrication-Cleaning-Wheel-Wash/322937428741?hash=item4b30921b05:g:-koAAOSwDEtaMNae
Regards
Andy
Thanks. However, I will need to buy a stand to raise the rear wheel because the bike is too heavy to lift with one hand with it being an eBike. I could turn the eBike upside down but I read it’s bad for the eBike

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks. However, I will need to buy a stand to raise the rear wheel because the bike is too heavy to lift with one hand with it being an eBike. I could turn the eBike upside down but I read it’s bad for the eBike
Every bike owner needs a stand, for safety and ease of working. They do not even cost much nowadays.....I do believe I paid 30 UK Pounds for mine about 8 years ago.....
They fold up relatively small too!Bike Maintenance stand.jpg
I have the middle one with 4 legs, not shown fully "out" in this photo though!! They are cheaper than when I bought mine too!!
regards
Andy
PS. I do not think anyone can work on any bike, electric or not, without one.....its part of owning and using a bike......

Reactions: Deus

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0643_01.JPG
was less than 20 for mine just look on ebay ;)

Reactions: Crossroads and Deus

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I could turn the eBike upside down but I read it’s bad for the eBike
What reasons where given for that? I don't think it should be a problem (see Benjahmin's post #2). If, or rather when, you need to repair a puncture whilst out and about you'll struggle unless you can upend the bike.
Dave.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it has hydraulic brakes then its not a good idea and avoid if possible.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've done it loads of times with hydraulics and never had a problem, Benjahmin's tip really does work.
Maybe some makes of brakes suffer more than others or maybe it's a problem if you leave the bike upside down for hours but a puncture is only a few minutes.
Dave.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
You should buy some good brakes then :)
I quite often flip my bikes upside down with absolutely no issues
being doing it for years and will continue to
Some jobs are just quicker and easier with an upside down bike

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well just back from a ride and guess what 1 of my rear pivot bolts has half undone it self and was making a right bloody noise so good job i left the cable ties there as id be down 40 quid if i lost one of those.

and i would still not work on a bike upside down only for a quick fix on the road and get it back home and on the work stand ;)