Clipless pedals

Zombie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2013
Just wondering how many of you use clipless pedals with the e-bike?

I have now more distance with clipless than flat pedals with my pedelec and I would not switch back.

Z

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
if anybody would like some clipless pedals, then pm me....i have 3 sets i can't use, as i cant twist my left foot properly anymore ;(

I use flat pedals with pins in combination with sticky climbing boot type shoes, next best thing i reckon

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Always too scared to use them.
Once you use them you'll never turn back (barring an injury as above !) ... if you get some Shimano PD647s (perfect for eBikes) you can easily ride unclipped on them with or without cleats so nothing to be scared of - just take your time getting used to them :).

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Once you use them you'll never turn back (barring an injury as above !) ... if you get some Shimano PD647s (perfect for eBikes) you can easily ride unclipped on them with or without cleats so nothing to be scared of - just take your time getting used to them :).
Hi Alex,

The thought of something slowing down your reflexes in the event of getting yourself out of trouble,makes me more wary of these pedals. What do you think Alex, do you disagree ?

Mountainsport

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Shimano PD647s - they look good. It has been something I've considered from the first time I bought my MTB years ago.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
clipless pedals are great, the first few times you ride on them you fall off in a comedy manner...accept it and move on. once you're used to them they are great....having pedal power on the upstroke of the cycle really helps.

the spares i have are 505s and 424s - free to good home, but quite old these days

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I have occasional grief with toe-clips, so clipless are a definite no-no for me.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Hi Alex,

The thought of something slowing down your reflexes in the event of getting yourself out of trouble,makes me more wary of these pedals. What do you think Alex, do you disagree ?

Mountainsport
Not really - multidirectional release cleats are so easy to unclip from you don't give it a 2nd thought. If you're stopping and starting putting your foot on the floor every minute or so with loads of cars weaving around buses etc in a queue you just don't clip in. That's why those downhill pedals I linked are so good - they feel just like normal ones in conditions like that and there's virtually no "hunt where to clip in" nonsense with the pedal platform as a guide.

Shimano PD647s - they look good. It has been something I've considered from the first time I bought my MTB years ago.

Highly recommended. I tried the 3 and 5 series ones (both single and double-sided) - 3 pairs tossed in the spares bin and fitted the 647s to both my bikes. The one-side cleat / one side normal ones were the worst .. seemed like a good idea initially whilst I got used to them but could never get the right side going. The others were OK but nowhere near as versatile and much harder to clip into. None of them used for more than about 50 miles before getting fed up with them.

The 647s were on sale for £40 when I got them. They're very good quality. Mainly bought by dowhnill riders who need to clip in and out in difficult conditions at speed. They're way nicer to ride with than the others I tried - saving 300g going minimalist on pedals just isn't something you need to get hung up about on an eBike ! Hesitated lots over looks but very soon realized there just wasn't anything else which would do the job as well or be so easy to ride with - even XTRs at astronomic prices.

I've never fallen off a bike on account of not being able to unclip. Only near miss was when I used a spacer when fitting cleats to shoes (wrongly) and the screw came loose resulting in the cleat sticking in the pedal. I had to remove the shoe still stuck on the pedal to get off the bike. That was my fitting mistake and not one I've ever made since ! :eek:

Last edited:

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Rob's sending me a pair of 424s so I'm going to have a go with those. They seem almost identical to the 647s to my untutored eye.

Zombie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2013
I learned the clipless with SPD's but then I changed to Time ATAC system. I would not go to Shimano. Currently I use Time Z's on the pedelec. Even the MX series looked better, but got the Z for nice discount. Anyhow here is my reasons for Time:

1. No adjustments. There is no adjustments to the locking system. Only adjustment is done with the cleat but I have always found the normal 13 degree rotation good for releasing the foot from the pedal.

2. Float and sideways movement in the pedal. The foot can turn few degrees as well move sideways in pedal, thus you won't break your knee while cycling.

3. Constant release. I always know how much I have to turn my leg in order to open the lock in the pedal. And as there is no adjustments this will not change. Well in the time when the cleat gets worn down there may be little change. But then it will be time to change the cleat soon anyway.

Some pics in my blog.

Z

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzist

Bikeonmike

Just Joined
Mar 27, 2013
I love clipless pedals - but only when I'm riding on three wheels! Don't think I'd ever get them locked in on a two wheeler.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Well had 1 ride out with the Clipless Pedals today. Ghouluk sent me a pair and I ordered some cleats. Last week I tried them up and down the cup-de-sac and seemed OK. Today was a proper test, 20 miles with plenty stops. They were great - ease to clip in and easy to clip out. I would definitely recommend using clipless pedals.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Well had 1 ride out with the Clipless Pedals today. Ghouluk sent me a pair and I ordered some cleats. Last week I tried them up and down the cup-de-sac and seemed OK. Today was a proper test, 20 miles with plenty stops. They were great - ease to clip in and easy to clip out. I would definitely recommend using clipless pedals.
Another convert. Great stuff :).

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I can well understand why so many people are frightened to use them for fear of finding their feet caught when trying to suddenly put a foot down, and falling off, especially in close proximity to other traffic.

However, I'm also a big convert to them now though, because you can adjust them to the perfect amount of "grip".

Sorry to revert to the bold type there, not meaning to shout, but that factor seemed to be missing from most of the posts on here, and it's crucial.

I have many acquaintances who have tried them and given up without even knowing they could be adjusted. I now have Shimano SPD two sided pedals on nearly all of my bikes.

I have them adjusted so that they grip my shoes firmly, and yet even a "panicky" sideways jerk always releases them instantly. The initial factory default setting required a definite rotation to release, and I found I was forgetting that in my panic sometimes, and falling off.

With the grip adjustment at it's lightest setting, just treading on them instantly clicks in, and just yanking the foot sideways releases them. They add so much power to pedaling, and yet relax your feet at the same time.

The only bike (trike) that I have them adjusted tighter is my Hase Lepus recumbent trike, where the more tenacious grip is a feature, allowing you to relax your legs when freewheeling without them dropping off the pedals !
hase lepus recumbent trike.jpg

Last edited:

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
glad you like them -and sorry for the aeons it took to get the second set posted (first set still missing presumed lost :( ) if anyone else would like a set, i still have one spare set left.

I tried the time pedals, as they looked good, but found them harder to release with my bad foot, though the same or a little better with the good one.

you can get two types of cleats for the shimano pedals (as martin@e-bikeshop sells) standard and easy release, i tried a set of the easy release, but because of the lack of lateral power in my left foot (bad MTB crash, lost a toe, surgery, arch collapsed) i still couldn't release the left foot without the right foot on the ground for leverage.

they did however release considerably easier than the normal ones i have, and didn't release by accident at all.

interestingly i tested them on my trainer for battery life, and with cleats i get about 4% extra on a trainer, which probably would translate to a reasonably significant amount on roads, as the majority of increase is on the upstroke when going uphill.

swordfish

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2013
Just having a pair of 647's fitted at the moment (while the bike is in for a slight fix). £42 fitted.
Saves me finding a spanner!
I know absolutely nothing about clip less, just thought I'd give them a try, especially as my feet slip off my present pedals occasionally.
I'm hoping I'm a convert....we shall see!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Just having a pair of 647's fitted at the moment (while the bike is in for a slight fix). £42 fitted.
Saves me finding a spanner!
I know absolutely nothing about clip less, just thought I'd give them a try, especially as my feet slip off my present pedals occasionally.
I'm hoping I'm a convert....we shall see!
Protect the spring / mech of those Shimano pedals with WD40 (spray into spring on both sides of the pedal) so they don't rust up in Winter months (although these seem far less prone to it than the 324s). Set them completely open to begin with till you get used to them then can tighten up a bit once they're broken in if you want. With those pedals you don't have to be clipped in to comfortably ride so there's plenty of time to do it 'in ride' if you want to at any stage.

If you haven't used them before practice clipping in and out of them about a hundred times on each side and it'll become 2nd nature very quickly via muscle memory. Also - sounds obvious but - if you clip in when stationary with the bike turned on and have a responsive torque sensor, drop the pedal to its lowest point on the rotation before applying pressure. Saves having the motor kick in against your brake ! Hope you enjoy.