Clothing in colder weather?

RHB123

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2022
Could anyone give me an idea on what clothing they wear for shorter trips, in this cold weather? I've seen some lined waterproof trousers for around £40. I've got a quality jacket thats waterproof, and windproof. So trousers, gloves, second layer fleece? Can a soft hat go under a helmet?

Any thoughts welcome, thanks guys.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Top - lightweight thermal, then a thicker thermal, fleece (thickness depending on weather), jacket. I use either or both together a windproof / waterproof jacket
Bottoms - cycling shorts, cycling winter tights, MTB loose cycling trousers, waterproof trousers.
Hands - liner gloves, thermal gloves or leather lined driving gloves. Look into Portwest.
Feet - winter cycling socks, cycling shoes
Neck - balaclava / neck warmer

I find the thinner then a thicker thermal helps keep me warm. It's a balance between overheating and being cold, still have not found the perfect set up

• :D
Reactions: RHB123

RHB123

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2022
Does anyone use a down or synthetic gilet in the cold? I've found them wonderful when I've been fishing. I know they don't breath as such, but they are mega warm.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hands - liner gloves, thermal gloves or leather lined driving gloves. Look into Portwest.
That was a good tip, thanks - I bought some cheapo Thinsulate-lined leather Portwest gloves and waterproofed with four coatings of leather waterproofing wax. They coped well with light rain, kept my fingers warm and I was very pleased with them... but then I lost one in my garden and with all the dead yellow leaves all over the place, it was well camouflaged (yellow leather gloves) and practically invisible, impossible to find. So I scored the last pair of Aldi's "waterproof" and "windproof" winter gloves two days ago, which are probably rubbish but have smartphone screen swipe-friendly index fingers. Aldi's leather driving gloves have sold out.

I find the thinner then a thicker thermal helps keep me warm.
I splashed out on merino wool thermals for this winter.

Bottoms - cycling shorts, cycling winter tights, MTB loose cycling trousers, waterproof trousers.
When it was dry and cold a couple of weeks ago, I tried merino wool thermals, two layers of jogging bottoms, plus insulated windproof Craghopper trousers on top. My legs must have looked quite chunky, but that lot kept them warm mostly... feet still froze.

Does anyone use a down or synthetic gilet in the cold? I've found them wonderful when I've been fishing. I know they don't breath as such, but they are mega warm.
Down-filled isn't windproof enough, so last winter I wore a goretex layer on top. They don't cope at all well if you sweat, so in addition this year, I'm using an unpadded leather jacket under the down layer.

Last edited:

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Another recommendation is Alpkit Jura weatherproof smock, it's a buffalo copy but has the advantage of pit zips. Not as warm as a heavyweight buffalo jacket

If you can afford it Buffalo jackets are worth looking into, they do a cycling specific jacket

A lot of people use Paramo jackets instead of Gore Tex , a bit more robust and breathable. I only have their windproof smock (which is very good) so can't comment on full range

Look into army surplus stores as well, they sometimes do good deals on second hand army stuff, they usually grade them as well.

Synthetic gilets are better than down, warmer when they get wet.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I find a thin silk scarf worn granny fashion fits neatly under a helmet. It keeps warm the bits that get cold otherwise; behind the ears and the top of the neck. I think helmets effect the air flow to really hit those areas otherwise.

Wellie boots for the feet with appropriate warm socks. I can't ride with walking boots, but find wellies work surprisingly well even with the half toe clips we use. With waterproof trousers over the boots pretty much guaranteed dry feet.

With windproof waterproof top and over trousers I didn't need extra layers on my main body when I used to commute. Winchester is a pretty warm part of the country, but it was enough for Glasgow too.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Synthetic gilets are better than down, warmer when they get wet.
They're getting better aren't they? Compress for packing smaller than they used to, stay warm when wet.

A lot of people use Paramo jackets instead of Gore Tex , a bit more robust and breathable. I only have their windproof smock (which is very good) so can't comment on full range
The tape on taped seams have given way on the older articles, but I've never known goretex fabric to rip, and I've got so much old walking goretex of various types and sizes, I'll layer them rather than buy paramo.

RHB123

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2022
I do have quite a lot of fishing jackets that might work, will just have to try them. I have two that are shell type, and other that are thicker. One is a Paramo, so I will try that first. I do also have a Buffalo jacket, that you pull on and wear next to the skin, but I really don't fancy that, it would stink after a few wears I'd guess, and it requires you to work to keep warm, what about when you stop??

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Ok, not clothing but this might be the final piece of the puzzle once you have keeping warm sorted.

TTFN
John.

Reactions: guerney

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Any particular make of wellies you would recommend. Thanks
I've got very basic noname wellies; bought in emergency in Mallaig for £8 in a closing down sale when I realized my old ones were dead. (You don't want leaking wellies for holidays on the west coast of Scotland.)

From recommendations by my son and a couple of others when they need replacing I'll probably go for Dunlop Purofort (the non safety ones), but they seem to have nudged over £50 now.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I've got very basic noname wellies; bought in emergency in Mallaig for £8 in a closing down sale when I realized my old ones were dead. (You don't want leaking wellies for holidays on the west coast of Scotland.)

From recommendations by my son and a couple of others when they need replacing I'll probably go for Dunlop Purofort (the non safety ones), but they seem to have nudged over £50 now.
Snap!

The steel toecaps are a bit overkill, and the 1kg+ weight per welly makes them short trip footwear only, but my old work wellies do me very well.

IMG_20221223_115011304_HDR.jpg

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Yes- I have a RAB down and feather jacket - one of the lighter weight ones, not the 'go into the artic' type, but I do only wear it when it's really cold (as in under 4degC).

I cycle quite vigorously and don't sweat, but then again I don't sweat much ordinarily.

As said, they aren't very wind proof or indeed waterproof so on wet/windy days I've put an ordinarly light weight (and volumous) anorak over the top.

For legs, I wear long johns under Biksters and over my cycling shoes I fit toe caps called Toe Thingies.

My weak point in the warmth stakes are my hands and I'm wondering about heated gloves - any recommendations?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks for posting that particular one - at £9 I bought one and it feels snug, warm and a cosy fit under my 'normal' cycle helmet. I always wear eye protection and this cover has holes in the side for poking glasses arms through.

View attachment 49864
I like that the bottom seam isn't too thick, so that when I remove my helmet and it, my forehead doesn't feature a pressed-in line. I also use mine for my pedestrian disguise, because it folds away very small... so small I keep misplacing it, so have since bought another. The reflective lines at the back help improve visibility, when slow jogging at night.

Reactions: Bikes4two

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
My go to is a buffalo cycle shirt. I wear it [pretty much all year round except for the hot part of the summer.

TX spray afore the rains start in earnest, and its good for whatever weather.