Collected or delivered?

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Hi
Reading new posts with comments about past problems relating to the condition of bikes that were delivered, I wondered if some of the problems members have experienced relate to the fact that they have to carry out “simple” assembly work on bikes that are delivered, as against collecting a fully assembled bike.
I collected my Ezee Forza last year which has been fully assembled for me and have had no problems.
Can other members tell me if there is a difference and if so, are problems limited to those who are not technically minded so have difficulty making sure delivered bikes are fully roadworthy?
Could there be need for a “home assembly and basic on the road check” service such as PC and furniture retailers offer?
I would like to stress that I am not introducing this thread for those who want to bash suppliers as is evident from my earlier posts !
Conal

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
In my experience, there is a fair bit of adjustment to do on bikes that are shipped, rather than collected. My bike was shipped and needed some simple assembly work, like fitting the wheels, seat and handlebars. Obviously the brakes and gears needed a fair bit of fettling and adjustment, plus everything needed lubricating but nothing was particularly arduous.

I would guess that it depends very much on an individuals level of mechanical ability and familiarity with bike adjustments. I found the work pretty straightforward and had the bike fully assembled and adjusted within about an hour.

I would suggest that buying ready-assembled and tested direct from a bike shop would be the best way to ensure that all was spot on, but there might well be a premium to pay for this over buying by mail order. For those with no nearby bike shop, then I would guess that a "mobile bike fettling service" might well go down well!

Jeremy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The majority of bikes I've received new have needed some further attention to be just right, with those bought from shops needing the least. Continental production has nearly always produced better set up bikes than Oriental in my experience.

There can be very big variations though, the worst having wheels out of true for example. In one case received with tyres a bit soft, pumping resulted in a tube exploding out since it had been pinched under the tyre bead in assembly. This meant my going out to buy a new tube and then removing the bike's motor wheel to fit it. Since this was a motor wheel with permanently soldered 8 wire connections and no in-line connector, such an event could have been traumatic for the average customer.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
I get the feeling that there has been a lot of "mechanical skills fade" amongst the general public over the last few years. As a lad, I quickly learned how to look after my bike, including some of the more challenging tasks, like wheel building. I wasn't by any means unique or unusual, all of my friends similarly looked after their bikes themselves.

I strongly suspect that society has moved on and that we are now in a more "consumer oriented" atmosphere, where people expect to have to do no maintenance or mechanical work on their bikes. Despite many other advances in bike technology, the need to do the same basic stuff, like adjusting brakes etc is still with us.

I don't think that it's coincidental that those on here with the most familiarity with bike maintenance and adjustment tend to be the older ones. I have a feeling that much of the disappointment some feel after buying an ebike stems from the expectation that it should be perfect right out of the box, when suppliers may well feel, as I do, that it's reasonable to expect a modest amount of mechanical adjustment to be undertaken by the buyer after delivery.

Jeremy

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
It not only recently, Jeremy.

When I went to university, I had to show the engineering students how to fix their bicycles.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There was certainly a much more widespread knowledge of and ability with such things as cycle maintenance years ago. However, even in the 1940s and '50s the proportion of those unable to cope with simple mechanical tasks I'd guess was more than 50% of the population and high enough to sustain a very high level of cycle shops who could only survive on maintenance, new bikes for sale post war being almost non existent. As a long suffering youngster in the trade repairing up to 20 punctures each day amongst other work, I was well of aware of this of course.

We still have quite a few bike shops, though many less than in the 1950s, but much of their income derives from sales of course, since few of the 2 million bikes sold each year get used enough to need repairs and maintenance.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
I get the feeling that there has been a lot of "mechanical skills fade" amongst the general public over the last few years. As a lad, I quickly learned how to look after my bike, including some of the more challenging tasks, like wheel building. I wasn't by any means unique or unusual, all of my friends similarly looked after their bikes themselves.

I strongly suspect that society has moved on and that we are now in a more "consumer oriented" atmosphere, where people expect to have to do no maintenance or mechanical work on their bikes. Despite many other advances in bike technology, the need to do the same basic stuff, like adjusting brakes etc is still with us.

I don't think that it's coincidental that those on here with the most familiarity with bike maintenance and adjustment tend to be the older ones. I have a feeling that much of the disappointment some feel after buying an ebike stems from the expectation that it should be perfect right out of the box, when suppliers may well feel, as I do, that it's reasonable to expect a modest amount of mechanical adjustment to be undertaken by the buyer after delivery.

Jeremy
I would love to agree with you, but the last day has me rethinking....I was for a time a chemical engineer, ringer, mining engineer.. then I had half shares in a trawler fishing for scallops in the Irish sea...I have fixed problems with a 250hp engine whilst in a bit of ruff...Twenty years ago I could make an anchor for the drive chain in a verge watch...(what is he on about)...yesterday I took my AGattu bike wheel out, noted the position, could not reassemble it....little bits of plastic, need help...managed it after help from the forum..now I have the manual...alles Bieletti ,
The point I am trying (struggling) to make is that younger folk face different challenges. When I emigrated to Australia in 1958 the ability to adjust the Tappets on a car guaranteed you a job as a mechanic, and I made a few bob on it....today..."Whats a tappet"
When the zx81 came out I coped today if I want to flame I am a script kiddy(be very afraid):mad: :cool:

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
My ebike came almost fully assembled, so I've had very little opertunity to test my home mechanical skills. Although, I have not been trouble free, I've had problems with the brakes and had to replace the battery after 11 months. In truth, I've been tinkering with bicycles and motorcycles (on and off) since I was about 10 - some 34 years. And without sounding too big headed there's not much that stumps me. However, at forty-four I wouldn't say I was old :eek:
I think Jeremy has hit the nail on the head when he says there's been a mechanical skill fade amongst the general public. But I would say it's been going on for more than a few years. We have become a throw away society. I think the skills fade has been with us the last twenty years, which is why we have drifted away from the 'make do and mend' to the 'if it breaks buy another one' society. Ironically, with the now growing shortages of oil and the need for global reductions of green house gases (heavy industry) many will have to relearn those lost skills of 'make do and mend'. Mind you, the well off won't have to worry; they'll just go out and buy another one :(

ibby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 11, 2008
Hello

My pro-connect couldn't have been easier to assemble, if you can call it that. All I had to do was adjust the seat height, screw on the pedals, charge the battery and align the handlebars. Couldn't have been easier :D.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Home made cycle mechanics

I took the "Steep Learning Curve" course in cycle maintenance and repair when I took over my older brothers bike and I did such things as paint the fork ends, front and rear, with silver paint to emmulate Chrome (Kids eh!).
I subsequently bought, in 1945, a new box of bits (F.W.Carpenter) to assemble myself.
I learned to build wheels when my wheels went out of true on the Cattle Grids of Wales.
I have derived so much pleasure from the art and effort. I weep that I am no longer a candidate for ownership of a Push Bike, of any quality.
Not wishing to embarrass any subscribers to the Forum, I am amazed at the advice asked for on rudimentry bicycles matters.
When I am stuck for knowledge I find myself saying "Buy the Book"!
So, when I bought 'the' elect bike book I had to ask Flecc what it all meant.
Too old an old dog, you see.
Peter

Last edited:

BLADERUNNER

Pedelecer
May 5, 2008
I think that there are a lot of people these days who dont bother with repairs or maintainance to there bikes; they just throw them away and buy another one!
Years ago a mechanic who had a faulty starter motor would strip it down and fix it. Today he just goes and buys another one! Unfortunately we live in a'throw away' society.

Cheers
Russell

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that there are a lot of people these days who dont bother with repairs or maintainance to there bikes; they just throw them away and buy another one!
Years ago a mechanic who had a faulty starter motor would strip it down and fix it. Today he just goes and buys another one! Unfortunately we live in a'throw away' society.

Cheers
Russell
Absolutely right Russell, and probably a major contributor to the "mechanical skills fade" that Jeremy referred to earlier.

People who don't need to do, don't need to learn.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
There is some justification for the "throwaway" attitude with a lot of consumer electronics, when locating and replacing the dud chip, dry solder joint or broken wire would take so long that, unless you really enjoy doing it, it makes more sense just to get a new item.

But for something with mechanical parts that are big enough to see and handle, like a bike, it's at least worthwhile checking to see if it can be fixed.

I'm not good at maintenance myself, nor very interested. I can adjust my brakes to compensate for wear on the blocks, but when it comes time to get new blocks, I'd rather pay someone else to fit them. I can mend a puncture, but have never done so at the roadside; I'd rather walk a couple of miles home pushing the bike, then fix the flat indoors and in comfort. But at least I have some idea of "fixing" rather than "throwing away".

Mary

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Delivered or collected

andyh2's "cautionary tale" of returning a bike reverses the "collection or ask for home delivery" position and the advice seems to be the same for both. Flecc's comment on that thread that he would take it back himself reinforces my original thoughts. I will be off to Brighton if I have any problems (only 80 miles each way!).
Some of the comments made, coupled with comments on other threads really underline the level of expertise and advice available on the forum.
I am lucky in that the ownership of by pedelec is a luxury and a hobby with great spin-offs (pardon the pun) of enjoyment and a slightly more healthy lifestyle. It is clear that for some people the bike they buy will be their only form of self-transport and they cannot easily take the bike back if there are problems.
I also see that if and when I ever retire (apparently I never actually have to retire with the new anti-ageist law) I can soak up all the knowledge available here and start a small hobby/business as an electric bike putter togetherer. Trouble is, I don’t think I will ever understand enough, as technology moves ever faster, the exact opposite of my brain!
Conal