comments from strangers when out on your ebike....

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
It's weird, but I've never had a single comment thrown at me-Neither positive or Negative.....maybe the fact that I just keep my head down and pedal hard leads them to think i'm on a conventional?
Mind you, I do tend to try and find the most unpopulated areas of woodland in Worcestershire to ride in....had an Epic moment today when I pushed through some long forgotten overgrown track and found myself 10ft away from 3 adult deer!!
I don't know who was the most surprised, but they were gone in seconds.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
If I get the "cheating" remark, I just reply "Yep GREAT you should get one" or I wish I had known about them before my heart attack! seems to break the ice and get them talking to you and about the bike.;)

gordon581

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2014
Glasgow
Had the thats cheating comment from a few people in work. All of them travel in by car and are more than half my age. A neighbour who is a lycra clad asked me for a go on it. On getting off said it was the best thing ever and would love one.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Recently 2 women cyclists had a bit to say about it saying things like.. "if you can't ride a bike without an engine then you shouldn't be riding one at all" I responded by asking why she wasn't wearing a helmet and the response was "I have been riding bikes for 20 years and have never needed one!" I then asked how far up the hill they were going (we were at the bottom). Reply was.. "oh we don't go up hills" i rest my case.

Reactions: gordon581

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I tend to pre-empt the obvious, much repeated comment by assuring cyclists I'm overtaking "Don't worry... I'm cheating". I think I would be tempted to think of some witty put down if a pedestrian had the nerve to say it to me though. :)

gordon581

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2014
Glasgow
Just home from my daily 20 mile round trip commute. I had to go against gusts of up to 45mph at times due to this storm thats battering Britain. I'd say about 60 or 70% of the cyclists I normally see cycling into Glasgow were missing having taken the car or bus instead. I think they were all cheating more than me today. :)
ps it was for that exact reason I moved over to an ebike. I was fed up fighting the winds and knew I was going to return to using the train soon. Although horrible being outside in the wild weather, the bike still made an enjoyable ride to work. I'm saving train fare and still exercising. Win Win!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It's weird, but I've never had a single comment thrown at me-Neither positive or Negative.....maybe the fact that I just keep my head down and pedal hard leads them to think i'm on a conventional?
Mind you, I do tend to try and find the most unpopulated areas of woodland in Worcestershire to ride in....had an Epic moment today when I pushed through some long forgotten overgrown track and found myself 10ft away from 3 adult deer!!
I don't know who was the most surprised, but they were gone in seconds.
Fantastic. - if brief

best I've managed is a rat run out of the verge and bounce of my front tyre !

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Just home from my daily 20 mile round trip commute. I had to go against gusts of up to 45mph at times due to this storm thats battering Britain. I'd say about 60 or 70% of the cyclists I normally see cycling into Glasgow were missing having taken the car or bus instead. I think they were all cheating more than me today. :)
ps it was for that exact reason I moved over to an ebike. I was fed up fighting the winds and knew I was going to return to using the train soon. Although horrible being outside in the wild weather, the bike still made an enjoyable ride to work. I'm saving train fare and still exercising. Win Win!
I had much the same feeling on howling Brighton seafront today :)
Although I kind of
revel in "beating" the weather.

I reckon a great bike and great gear (gloves , waterproof etc) can be a whole lot more exhilarating in crazy weather and be great sense of achievement

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Fantastic. - if brief

best I've managed is a rat run out of the verge and bounce of my front tyre !
I ran over a pigeon once.

Hurricane

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2010
Perthshire
I usually reply to "Your cheating" with "Aye and your knackered!"