Commuter bike for 6’1 14 stone man

Northmale

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 29, 2023
Budget £1500 new via cycle to work. £800 cash second hand

My wife bought me a secondhand Eplus Commute for Christmas with a mind to commuting to work via train and bike.

I can’t see the point in that as the train is so expensive and love riding bikes but hate arriving at work sweaty as there are no showers.

Having just done a test drive on the route to work the motor barely kicked in as I was constantly over 15mph as 95% of the route is flat and follows a river. The final 5% is stop start hills in a city.

I want a bike I can derestrict when
I’m in the countryside as the lone rider on ex colliery wagonways, then switch to legal as I hit the suburbs.

Decent on hills would help but I’m fit and can do a lot of the work.
Throttle not essential.
I have zero sense of style so looks not important at all.

Northmale

Dec 29, 2023
Mindboggling! So a London based 4x4 can belch out fumes and then drive to the countryside to a hunt or grouse shoot, press a button on private land and go into off-road mode, but it’s illegal to do the same on an e-bike?

it’s almost like the rules are made by people detached from reality.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
..., then switch to legal as I hit the suburbs.
Technically, if you can switch then it is not legal even when in lower power/speed mode. There's some discussion about exactly what 'switch' means; probably OK if it means reprogramming the controller, certainly not OK if it's something you can easily do while riding.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I want a bike I can derestrict when
I’m in the countryside as the lone rider on ex colliery wagonways, then switch to legal as I hit the suburbs.
You have very early on in your ebiking life come up against the boundaries of the eapc definition!

A switch like that is simply not allowed.

Northmale

Dec 29, 2023
Can I go for same question but instead of a switch a quick LCD mod done while briefly stationary?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Mindboggling! So a London based 4x4 can belch out fumes and then drive to the countryside to a hunt or grouse shoot, press a button on private land and go into off-road mode, but it’s illegal to do the same on an e-bike?

it’s almost like the rules are made by people detached from reality.
Have a look back at some long previous discussions! It's all there!

Extremely briefly, EAPCs are a very, very special case, allowing a motor on what is in law a bicycle. Everything anyone wants in an electric two wheeler can be had, but not as an EAPC.

If helmet and insurance would not ruin what you want, then a suitable ebike registered as a moped is the legal route.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I believe there is a 10 % leeway on the max assist speed , so if you found an e-bike which allowed you to set the max assist speed, you could take advantage of that , and set the max assist speed to 17 mph (15.5 mph + 10%). If you set it higher than that and ride in public (on or off road) it is illegal and you are taking a risk (although you could debate how much)
For a lightish cyclist, on primarily flattish terrain, I would possibly recommend

See this thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Northmale

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'd just buy a conversation kit and fiddle with the settings. Or buy one from woosh or wisper.
I get 18mph with my stamped 250w kit and through the woods I go steady with dog walkers and it's a bit slippy in the mud. Guess I go about 7- 10mph..
I would not want a big powerful scrambling e-bike through the woods tbh. Dangerous. You'll hit a person or a dog!
I ride 3½ miles each way every day to work and I do wish at times I had more speed especially on the Bristol road in city along cycle route in a headwind in the lashing rain, but it's just asking for trouble and a accident.
Only way I know to do what you want is fit two kits or stop and derestrict in settings. Not legal though.
I think anyone wanting to go fast just buy a moped. Tax and insure it. Jobs a goodun...

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I understand your frustration, but you can't have your cake and eat it.

Your e-bike is either limited to 15.5mph and legal, or it isn't.

One of my e-bikes was sold fully legal, restricted to 15.5mph, and has all the manufacturers stickers on the frame to prove it. Purchasing a cable adaptor and a free piece of software, I programmed it to do an assisted 28mph. Many motors are capable of more than the 15.5mph, but not always as much as 28mph. I tried it for fun, but I don't want to be caught and lose (get penalty points on) my driving licence, so it's now set back to legal limits.

I don't mean to offend but you need to adjust your mentality rather than the speed of your bike... you may be fit enough to peddle faster than 15.5mph, but relax a little and enjoy the effortless, non-sweaty ride at legal speeds.

An EAPC is allowed as a concession in law. Anything faster needs a moped/motorbike with all the restrictions the law then requires, like helmets and insurance.

Reactions: Az.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If someone were to buy themselves a defunct proprietary ebike for about £300 or less that has a rear hub-motor, preferably a known brand; chuck the battery, controller and LCD; replace with a 48v version of the battery and KT controller & LCD; they would then have a bike capable of cruising over 20 mph with a legal 250w motor and a plate with the legal info on it. That person could set parameters C4 and C14 so that the motor only goes when they pedal, then the bike would meet every legal requirement except the max speed, which could be adjusted in about three seconds with practice.

Though it's a faff, if someone set the max speed to 15.5 mph with a KT controller and saved the setting, then set it to any other max speed and rode the bike without saving the setting, it will use the new setting until switched off, then revert to the old one. With the settings protected with a password, nobody else would be able to see or change the settings except the guy, who put the password in. Some bikes have LCD settings protected by passwords or other secret codes that the owner isn't given, so it's normal for the owner not to know the password.

Last edited:

Northmale

Dec 29, 2023
I don't mean to offend but you need to adjust your mentality rather than the speed of your bike... you may be fit enough to peddle faster than 15.5mph, but relax a little and enjoy the effortless, non-sweaty ride at legal speeds.
No offence taken. I will learn the art of gentle pedalling

Reactions: Woosh

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I can't help thinking that having a class of pedelecs with a max speed of , say , 25 mph would allow more people to use them for commuting, even if they needed registration and insurance

Reactions: Northmale

Northmale

Dec 29, 2023
I can't help thinking that having a class of pedelecs with a max speed of , say , 25 mph would allow more people to use them for commuting, even if they needed registration and insurance
This would be the a sensible move that would decrease car use, help towards emissions targets and get people more active and take the strain off the NHS, so absolutely no chance of it happening under the current government.

• :D
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
This would be the a sensible move that would decrease car use, help towards emissions targets and get people more active and take the strain off the NHS, so absolutely no chance of it happening under the current government.
Not sure what is not happening... You already have two standards you might be interested in:
L1e-A with motors up to 1000W and speeds up to 25km/h and
L1e-B with motors up to 4k with speeds up to 45km/h

You can have all what you need, but it won't be considered as a bike, can't have everything I am afraid.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Like speed pedelecs?
That in the UK have the same legal categorisation as mopeds ? I am under the impression that that's currently a very small market ? I wonder if a brand actively marketed them, maybe with a tie in with an insurance company. I think the regulations should probably be slightly different to mopeds.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
That in the UK have the same legal categorisation as mopeds ? I am under the impression that that's currently a very small market ? I wonder if a brand actively marketed them, maybe with a tie in with an insurance company. I think the regulations should probably be slightly different to mopeds.
Yes, they are classed as mopeds with all strings attached and all hoops to jump through to have them approved. I understand why people want cheap vehicles with no responsibilities and no accountability attached to it, but there is no way law will be modified in a way that this will be happening under this government or another.
Imagine lunatics ploughing through children and dog walkers at 45km/h.