COMPLETE NEWBIE!!!!

Robster

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2016
Andover
Hi

I am seriously considering an electric bike but am totally confused with all the options, variants manufacturers and other confusing details!

I need help please.

Someone recommended Wisper, then I read reviews that said they did not use great parts!

Someone else recommended Freego, this is the only make I have managed to get a couple of test rides and liked it very much (FreeGo Eagle).

Now seen adverts for Tech!

I want this for general shopping, local travel, enjoyment and importantly possibly towing a small trailer with my dogs for more distant walks!

I want a step through frame as I have some issues with my hips.

Right now top of my list are:-

FreeGo Eagle, Wisper 705 and Gtech.

Any advice, help, thoughts and other recommendations gratefully received.

Robin

Reactions: LeighPing

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Robin,

David here from Amps, we design and arrange the manufacture Wisper bikes.

Sorry to ask, but would you kindly let me know where you heard we don't use good parts? It may be this is an old review, although we have always used the best parts suitable for the bikes we produce.

I personally chose the parts that go to make the latest Wisper bikes and can assure you they are the best possible at the two price points. The frame has a 10 year warranty and all the parts have a standard two year warranty. We also offer a peace of mind promise. If your Wisper bike should fail, for any reason under the Warranty, during it's first two years and we cannot get you back on the road within the week. We will supply a free courtesy Wisper bike for you to use whilst we get your bike sorted out. I should say we have never had to supply a courtesy bike!

If you have any questions about Wisper bikes or any of the components we use, please feel free to contact me by phone or email. I can assure you that you would not be disappointed in either the bike or the quality of the parts.

I know FreeGo bikes extremely well, having been a director of the company for nearly two years. I can assure you that they are a good company offering good service. I would however prefer not to discuss the components used in this particular brand of bikes.

I believe the GTech bikes are very good, but being single gear they don't fit everyones needs.

If you are thinking of buying either of our step through bikes, can I recommend you try them before you make your decision, I hope and think you will be very pleasantly surprised by the Wispers. The 705Torque in particular is a superb bike, very different to the others.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards, David

• Informative
Reactions: yaffa and LeighPing

Robster

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2016
Andover
Hi David

Thanks for such a quick reply to my question!

To be honest I think the review was from 2014ish but as I was at the time looking at a second hand bike of that kind of vintage, then it did colour my decision!

I did try, briefly the FreeGo Eagle, in a very hilly area, very hilly and I did not have to change gear at all! :)

I have an opportunity to buy a second hand (one year old Eagle) for £1,100 which is a lot of money to me but is a lot less than the new price!

If I was really going to push out the boat and buy new I would certainly want to try the 705 as it looks good but do not really understand where the difference would be between the three bikes I mentioned, although the Tech seems to not use a normal chain!

Maybe I will give you a call for an education, if that is okay with you?

Robin

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
I've seen several very positive things about the Wisper 705, both here and elsewhere on the web so it's snuck onto my "interesting" list. I'm hoping to arrange a trip to Juicy bikes in the Peak District where I'm hoping I'll be able to try the Wisper alongside the Juicy Classic (having checked first with Bob whether he's got both there!).

David from Amps might be able to suggest a stockist where you could try a Wisper if you're interested Robin - I think the folk who say "try before you buy" are definitely right when it comes to any sort of bike, electric or not, since we're all different and what suits one won't necessarily suit another, even if our needs sound similar on paper.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David
If I was really going to push out the boat and buy new I would certainly want to try the 705 as it looks good but do not really understand where the difference would be between the three bikes I mentioned, although the Tech seems to not use a normal chain!

Robin
Hi again Robin,

There is a huge amount of difference between the three bikes and yes the GTech has a carbon belt, an advantage in my opinion but the bike does not have gears.

The Wisper Torque has a torque sensor that recognises if and how much pressure the rider is putting onto the pedals. This will result in a smoother and more responsive electric bike with a longer range, but it comes at a price.

As I say please feel free to call, although I am the owner of Wisper I will do my best to be impartial (ish!) :rolleyes:

All the best, David

• Informative

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I'm hoping to arrange a trip to Juicy bikes in the Peak District where I'm hoping I'll be able to try the Wisper alongside the Juicy Classic (having checked first with Bob whether he's got both there!).
We do A.N
I'll put the coffee on...

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
You'll get a negative review on any bike. My recommendation is to try a few and decide which you prefer best.

I went for the Halfords Carrera-E in the end and I'm happy with my choice. See my signature for a link to a video review if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk