Confused.com

MWesley Marshall

Just Joined
May 16, 2017
Portstewart Northern Ireland
My wife and I bought two Powacycles -Salisbury and windsor-about 4 years ago in order to use with our motor home. About two years ago,despite little strenuous use the batteries failed. I bought two replacement batteries then and now find with even less use have failed again!! Replacements Costa £350 pounds each half the price of the bikes!! I have been told crank drives are much better but don't, wish to invest again this time until I obtain informed objective advice re. Make and model. Would appreciate others experience and any comments,views and suggestions which might mitigate my confusion. Thanx in anticipation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lithium batteries are best regularly used, if in storage unused for long periods without a regular charge they can fail.

A top up charge every two months during any idle time will preserve them.

That said, a two year life isn't uncommon with some of these lithium batteries, especially with low cost models like the Salisbury and Windsor, and e-bikes are only economic if used sufficiently to justify the battery costs.

Crank drive itself doesn't change this situation, but some of the more expensive crank drives have high quality batteries that last three or four years if looked after. However, their batteries are often even more expensive, so not necessarily saving anything.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Just asking for possible future preventative action: Did you store your batteries inside during the winter? Storing a battery flat in freezing temperatures is not good for them. It is also a good idea to put them on charge every two months if stored.

Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Batteries like to be used, sitting around months on end kills them eventually. The cells will drain sometimes unevenly and once they hit a lower threshold won't charge but may be recoverable manually if you know what you are doing.
For long storage then 37.5 - 39v is a good charge figure to look for with a 10 minute charge fortnightly or so, I use 38v for my batteries even short term if not using for a few weeks.

Reactions: Emo Rider