Connected up a new kt controller but kt lcd3 display wont light up

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
Having a nightmare as i cant get to work anymore ;( I had a vivi ebike 36volts. Came with a controller inside the battery holder. All in one. Worked great 17 miles a day for a year. Friday the back wheel starts juttering. Stop start. No power. Loud noise in the controller. Checked everything. Unplugged brakes,pas,light. Changed battery. Took hub apart to check magnets. Nothing....

Replaced the previous battery holder controller all in one thing, with a new seperate kt cobtroller. 36/48 volts. 9 pin. 1to5 Same as old one. Bought new display as assumed old one wouldnt work. New display wont turn on however.... hub started working. Very fast with throttle. Took it for a spin. Was great for 2hours and then turned off. Im guessing display is set at 48 v and i need it at 36 to match my hub.
Thought i bought wrong display so i bought a new kt lcd3 display. Plugged it in today, same problem. Hub is working but no display to adjust voltage. Im guessing it maybe because im using the old vivi 1to5 cable with a new kt controller? Could this be issue? Ive ordered anothet new kt controller with 8 pin 1 to 4 with a new 1 to 4 cable. Dont need the front light. Just need it to work!

Am i missing something? Am i being a retard?

Ive also oredered a new kit off ebay. Controller and display with cables and throttle and pas. 80 quid. From china but will take a month. Was hoping it would be fixed before. I went to two ebike shops in south london. Know one has a clue! Please give me some pointers? Much love. Stu

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Whoah, hold on your going to fast with making willy nilly changes.
IT4 OR IT5 or any trunk cable is unlikely to have the same wire order with differing bits of kit. You are correct if using KT controller and lcd then one will need a KT 1T4 or 1T5, how the various wires are joined or sequenced at the 1T4 point on the existing trunk cable won't be known and hence why the lcd isn't turning on.
Looks like the power supply to the display isn't correct in the cable, so the pin out is likely wrong.
Controller is dual voltage so lcd is compatible with voltage, one doesn't need to change the voltage as there is not setting for it. KT lcds auto recognises the voltage.
KT is easy simple stuff, it is plug and play whether WP or block connector type and I have never had issues with not getting them to work.

Is the motor axle cable ok and undamage as it enters ?
The loud controlelr noise sounds like phase snyc was lost.

Last edited:

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
Thanks for the reply! Ok so maybe the old 1to5 cable is the issue. I hope! So difficult to buy them and expensive. All my cabling is julet.

Yeah the hub motor cable seems fine. I was moving the cables whilst holding the throttle down to see if there was a loose connection but nothing helped which is what made me think it was the controller. Also the new controller got everything working minus the display for about 2 hours then shut off.

Didnt realise how dependent on my ebike i was. Feel like my legs have been cut off once this is fixed im gona have enough spare parts to build 2 more bikes! Just wish parts were available in uk. China have really done one on us!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can buy some KT stuff at torquetech.co.uk, it is owned by member danidl I think.