connectors

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
I need to find out what kind of connectors these are. If someone can help then I will be able to get some more for the new controller. The connectors are very commonly found on controllers and are black with 2,3, or 5 pins, and hard to find on ebay.
Was also wondering what the white, 3 pin throttle connectors are called, and if there is a good UK source for them?
Also anyone recognise this sensor on the Urban Mover - is it a pedal sensor or a torque sensor?
I would be very grateful if anyone could help. :) hech.connection.jpgUM torqesensor.jpg5 pin connector.jpg

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
the connectors are called mate-n-lock[ i think] used in car electrics, try auto electric supplies [ A E S] THINK its a torque sensor looks same as one i got from bms ku 66[ wiring download on site] hope this is a help

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
thanks John, I will check out AES and see. The wee black chaps are handy because they fit into cramped controller compartments, practically nano -tech.
Murthly castle is a fine sort of a place Ive heard.:)

D

Deleted member 4366

You have to pop open that sensor to see what's inside. It's identical to this one, which is an optical speed sensor. Whatever it is, you can't use a normal pedal sensor with that controller or any other controller with that sensor. I modified this one a bit to reduce its width because it's hard to find the longer BB spindles that they need.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ and, as if by magic, ... :cool:

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
They are (JAPAN SOLDERLESS TERMINALS) JST 2.5 SM connectors I have got them in the past from Farnell. More recently I got them on ebay from China and they were much cheaper than suppliers in the UK.

In fact I just got some from here and they arrived within a week.

2.5 SM Connector Plug items in jst 2.5 sm store on eBay!

Dave beat me to it, I was on the phone while I was posting

Chris

Last edited:

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Many thanks chaps, cheap as chips in China but could be a longer wait than I wanted. The same things seem to cost a fortune here though, like after vat and postage £12 for 3 pairs at Farnell or Mouser, a mortal shock for a cheapskate like me (opposing 10 pairs for £4 in HK). The sensible thing would be to just solder the ends for a lifelong solution!

D8veh, am changing the controller to a 36v one, luckily I have a spare pedal sensor if the old one wont work. The old 24v controller was sucking the life out of the new 36v battery for some reason???
regards hch.

D

Deleted member 4366

You'll have to chuck that sensor. I guarantee that it won't work with your 36v controller. Fit a normal pedal sensor and make a spacer out of an old handlebar grip (or similar) to hold it in place. You can just solder the wires together, while you wait for your cheap Chines ones to arrive, but I guess, once soldered, you don't need a connector any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
How many pins do you need on the terminals, Hech ? I desoldered a bunch of wires off my controller and they have the 2-pin connectors on (albeit only 1 pin in use on each of them) ... likely just a case of moving a wire/pin from one pair to another to make a 2-wire if that's any help. Can splice your wires onto these or try swapping out the wires in the pins.

They were from cruise control / speed limiter and 36/48V wires (which I just cut the wires and soldered together inside the controller where I needed them connected).

I've also got a 3-pin one but it's attached to the PAS wires.. mind you I don't need the PAS I bought either so I guess that makes a pair too !

I think Morphix has an account at Farnell ... so doesn't pay their ridiculous postage charges (!)

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Well, there are several terminals Alex, PAS, throttle, 3spd switch(new) and brakes of course. All exept latter have 3 pins. The bigger white terminals are easier to crimp, but the wee black jst 2.5 sm-3r's would fit easier in the box. You know sometimes I find it so refreshing to know what I'm talking about! :)

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
It would be nice to have a sticky for these things, I got some of those white 5 pin things for the controller and have no idea what they were called if I wanted any more. :rolleyes: