"Conversion kits to blame in 40% of ebike fires, says London Fire Brigade"

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
none of them bar yamaha sell motor components out of warranty so ur fooked also can bus locked encrypted batts that only Scott can do atm in the uk or pay there rip off prices.

its a fkn joke.

bbshd is a way better cheaper and faster option i can go near 40mph that thing can kick my ass, tho i did help make it :cool:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
He should have charged it on a pizza paddle next to an open window:

"Fortunately, the owner of the bike, which had been converted and left on charge overnight on an escape route, was awake when he spotted it smoking. "

E-bike fire - Brixton

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
A small part of a ground floor flat was damaged in the fire that is believed to have been caused by the failure of lithium batteries in an e-bike

Well, apart from the guy getting burnt, this story is a plus as at least LFB now quotes the cause, batteries, not ebikes - which we all know are made of metal and cannot catch fire....

Is it a step too far for them to report why the battery caught fire.....?

Forb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2023
not ebikes - which we all know are made of metal and cannot catch fire....
I saw one that had been burnt the other day. I'm pretty sure that molten aluminium dripping off the frames is going to cause other fires if falling on wood or fabrics. I don't know about specific alloys, but in its pure form its melting point is approximately 660° C.

Should that be a safety requirement, e.g. e-bikes being steel framed? Steel is double to triple that (lithium creates a metal fire existing at temperatures of 2,000° C).

Given how ubitiquous delivery bikes are these day, there should be a CE or whatever standard for them, and registration akin to mopeds. I've starting to hate the chancers flying around on lash ups. As a cyclist, I find them more of a threat than car drivers, and they're doing up harm by association because of their law breaking, e.g. looking at phones, pushing through pedestrians on crossings etc.