Convert a Pashley Guvnor

cyclingrambler

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2012
Hello,

My name is Robert and I come from Belfast.

Cycling is a hobby for me and is very enjoyable but now days I have been thinking of an electrical conversion.

I would probably prefer a rear wheel drive and the bike I would like to convert is my Pashley Guvnor.

The problem as I see it is the Hub brakes and on rear drive a single sprocket.

Front wheel drive perhaps would be the way to go though the brakes would be an issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
they do a few versions of the Guvnor. Is yours the 3 speed hub (sturmey archer) ?

Assuming it is then you have a few challenges and options. Firstly a rear hub drive is out of the question as your current hub contains your gears. So you'll need a front drive system - search this site for more but you main players here for DIY ebike kits are (in no order)

BPM
Ezee
Juicy
Kudos
Oxygen

They you've got the hub brake issue. You'll need to change the front braking system to something else ( such as roller brake) I cant see how this can be retained as you'll need to replace the front hub for the motor hub. I dont know how easy this is to do on a Guvnor or if possible at all (not sure what detail is on the frame)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
That's a lovely bike Robert. To convert it would be quite a task - you'd need new front forks, wider than standard and that fit the Pashley frame, likely to be difficult to source.

More importantly, the look of the bike would be completely spoiled by adding a front wheel kit.

My advice is: "Don't do it".

Keep that beautiful bike and either buy a ready made electric bike, or get another donor bike and add a kit. The donor bike should have good strong forks, 100mm or so between the drop-outs, with a frame that is strong around the head to accept the loads of the front wheel drive.

Don't spoil that lovely bike!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I didnt want to rain on your parade initially but have to agree with the "dont do it!"

I love the retro look myself (my retro bike is an On One pompetamine in cream with swept back bars, 8 hub gears, honey leather saddle ,grips, toe clips etc)

Very nice bikes, British company and good for a front wheel conversion (solid steel frame and forks). Its vintage look with modern parts - could consider this

OR source a decent actual vintage bike from ebay or similar (much cheaper) that is suitable for conversion

All depends how much money you want to throw at the project !

Or go for a Juicy off the peg. Rhey have a nice retro styling as well

lots of options for you

C

Cyclezee

Hi Robert,

As the UK supplier of eZee kits, I have echo the views of the previous contributors.

I would sell you an eZee kit, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night as it would just look so wrong on that beautiful classic.

I would be much happier to sell you an eZee Cadence which has both style and power.

P1050985a.jpg