Correct tool for tightening locknuts on brake cables?

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
I need to tighten the locknut on my brake cable (Tektro Novela discs). Normal pliers are too wide, so I could use long nose pliers. Is there a better tool, that will mark it up less, some sort of spanner?

Aushiker

Pedelecer
You have me intrigued. What is the lock nut on the cable you are referring to? Cables normally have an adjuster which you should be able to turn by hand.

At the attachment end (brake calliper) the cable should be secured by a tab and allen key bolt.

So your reference to a lock nut on the cable is interesting.

Andrew

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Maybe I am using the wrong name. At the handlebar end of the cable, there is a threaded end, with a flat on it, that screws into the brake handle. On the threaded bit, is a thinner knurled nut that appears to be used to lock the thread on the end on the cable.

I found a picture in google. It's the chrome bits in this picture.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Yes Smee has it.
Finger tight us all that's needed, if it was ment to be any tighter the manufacture would have put flats on it for a spanner ;)

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
That's not really a lock nut at all. It's actually an adjuster for taking up any slack that develops in the cable. When you first set your brakes, you start with it wound in, and then as the cable stretches, you gradually wind it out to maintain cable tension.

Edit: Crossed with Aushikers post.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Years ago some brake cable adjusters had a locking ring.

Modern one have a detent, so the adjuster clicks with each part turn then stays where it is - no locking ring needed.

D

Deleted member 4366

Intriguing thought.
Do the cables stretch or the outers compress?
Neither. The pads wear, so you have to adjust the length of the inner cable relative to the outer, which is what that adjuster's for.

D

Deleted member 4366

"They are super easy to install and adjust—so you can dial in the modulation just the way you like."

What's modulation?

Reactions: SRS

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Power Modulator
Now there's a bit of kit I didn't know I needed:confused:

There's me squeezing the break lever gently at first then harder if I'm not slowing down quick enough.
Now I can just squeeze away without thinking about it:)
All we need now is a breaking system that can be operated from our phones and I'll be happy, (assuming I ever buy myself a smart phone:p)
All these gadgets! Satnav mapping and wotnots.
I've got a paper map, so I know where I'm going & if I ever become unsure where I've been, I just look over my shoulder & there it is:cool:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Actually I do it the other way round! ,wind the adjuster out set the
That's not really a lock nut at all. It's actually an adjuster for taking up any slack that develops in the cable. When you first set your brakes, you start with it wound in, and then as the cable stretches, you gradually wind it out to maintain cable tension.

Edit: Crossed with Aushikers post.
Actually .I do it the other way round! wind the adjuster out ,then set the brake so it is just biting then screw back in the adjuster ,a case of over tighten then slacken off with adjuster, the adjuster is only there so that you can remove and install the cables ,hence the slotted bits!

Last edited:

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Excellent. So, to summarise:
They are / are not adjusters that do / do not take up slack when the cables do / do not stretch. For best results, they should be wound in / out (and shaken all about:eek:). They should be adjusted by hand, and not by tools. They are slotted to allow cables to be passed through them.
Glad that's cleared up:D

Reactions: D C

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fine control of brake force.

If brakes are too grabby, one solution is to fit a modulator:
Horrible things, give a brake a spongy feeling. They were fitted as standard on the Giant Lafree front V brake, a bike that certainly didn't need one.