Corrosion Protection Suntour SR forks

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Without going to gaiters I would like to preserve the exposed rods of my forks from corrosion, this being motivated by seeing a number of them looking sick so given no care, they can suffer.

My thoughts are an occasional wipe over with an oily cloth, but that begs the question what sort of oil they are filled with and would be suitable to use?

I would be happy with gaiters but am assuming they need disassembling the forks, with an issue with their warranty if ever needed.

Any help here gratefully received.

D

Deleted member 4366

Suntour SR are relatively crappy forks, depending which version you have. Let them go rusty, then you have an excuse to get some decent ones.

The best way to stop them from rusting is to keep using your bike.

It's winter salt that makes them go rusty. If you still want to panic about it, wipe them after each ride to get the salt off.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Without going to gaiters I would like to preserve the exposed rods of my forks from corrosion, this being motivated by seeing a number of them looking sick so given no care, they can suffer.

My thoughts are an occasional wipe over with an oily cloth, but that begs the question what sort of oil they are filled with and would be suitable to use?

I would be happy with gaiters but am assuming they need disassembling the forks, with an issue with their warranty if ever needed.

Any help here gratefully received.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/lizard-skins-fork-boots/rp-prod4761

Reactions: Woosh

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I spray my fork stanchions with silicone every now and again, to keep the rust at bay.
The cheaper versions, like my XCTs, don't contain any oil, just a spring with an elastomer centre.

I filled mine with Motorex Bike Grease 2000, which gave them a smoother operation and will hopefully protect the innards from corroding over time.

Motorex Bike Grease 2000

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
silicone spray after each wash then cycle forks, this brings any crud up from the seal, or in in case of suntours, the rubber bit. Wipe off stantions, store bike then a spray just before you head out again

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
silicone spray after each wash then cycle forks, this brings any crud up from the seal, or in in case of suntours, the rubber bit. Wipe off stantions, store bike then a spray just before you head out again
Pretty much what I was about to say. WD40 Silicone spray is ideal.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Thank you all, I will just keep them clean and spray a silicone lube on them occasionally as suggested. I had naively assumed these things would have some "oil" in them and with that a risk of incompatibility with the seal materials, but it seems not. I had not though of a silicone spray but that should be benign with most things. Thanks

Hopefully though I now learn they are crappy suspension forks they will be adequate to serve our few hundred miles a year urban cycling, popping to the shops etc.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
though I now learn they are crappy suspension forks
they are not all crappy forks.
SR is possibly the world's largest fork manufacturers,they make a wide range of forks, from $15 to $$$$, from some of the cheapest to some of the finest. I use their NEX and XCM forks on some of my bikes. You'll find their forks on expensive R&M bikes and also on cheapo supermarkets' bikes.
Depending on models, the best protection may be just to keep the uppers clean and dry. Lubes may damage the elastomer rings, There is a bit of the special green grease showing up on the uppers of your fork in the travel zone, Leave it alone, don't wipe it off.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocsid

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Depending on models, the best protection may be just to keep the uppers clean and dry. Lubes may damage the elastomer rings, There is a bit of the special green grease showing up on the uppers of your fork in the travel zone, Leave it alone, don't wipe it off.
Thanks, Woosh, that risk to the elastomer rings was specifically my area of concern having some knowledge in this field of the issues using the wrong products can bring.

The only designation mark I can see on these is FEM362.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The only designation mark I can see on these is FEM362.
That's the entry level NCX lite. I wouldn't do anything other than keeping the stanchions dry and clean. The original grease is enough to keep the rust away for at least a couple of years. After that, watch the video.

This is the general recommendations from SR:

MAINTENANCE OF THE FORK

Never use a pressure washer or any water under pressure to clean your suspension system as water may enter the shock at the dust seal level. Never use aggressive cleaners. We recommend clear water and a damp cloth to wipe down your shock.
Your suspension system should be serviced more frequently as indicated below if you ride in extreme weather (winter time, or in wet/muddy conditions) and rough terrain conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: awol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have Nex on two 700c bikes both forks have over 3k miles on them, no marks or blemishes on the slides rust will only appear if left out in all weathers. Occasionally I give mine a wipe and a little spray of MO94, though a silicone lube will be better being non greasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Why would anyone suggest/recommend putting an oil of any description on the external faces of any fork stanchion/slider? I can't think of a quicker way to wreck them.
By all means use an oil based lubricant if you want to create an external surface that will hold dirt and dust, so creating a highly abrasive mix that will wreck both the coating on the stanchion, along with the seals.

The only product that I would recommend is ForkJuice, or other silicon based products. As with all products applied, ensure that it doesn't come into contact with the brakes. ForkJuice and silicon based products won't prevent corrosion, and the best way of prevention, is to use and wipe down, whilst sticking to a regular maintenance regime.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Chris.L