Could this be the future?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The αlpha has a Brose 36V electric motor rated to 250W, which is fed by a "bridging" lithium-ion battery pack with 150 Wh of capacity, which in turn is charged by the onboard 150 W PEM fuel cell. The fuel cell runs off of a 2-liter compressed hydrogen gas cylinder, which can be refilled in about 2 minutes at a filling station made by Atawey,

so it takes 3hrs 2 mins to charge back up plus have to take it to a refuel depot ?:rolleyes:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Well spotted SW!

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, they are about 15 km from my home and are doing a pilot test with the post office. I think the range and charging time is calculated around that type of usage rather than private use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so they made a Mobil charger that needs charging pmsl

Reactions: horseunderwater

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: Gaz

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The αlpha has a Brose 36V electric motor rated to 250W, which is fed by a "bridging" lithium-ion battery pack with 150 Wh of capacity, which in turn is charged by the onboard 150 W PEM fuel cell. The fuel cell runs off of a 2-liter compressed hydrogen gas cylinder, which can be refilled in about 2 minutes at a filling station made by Atawey,

so it takes 3hrs 2 mins to charge back up plus have to take it to a refuel depot ?:rolleyes:
.. don't see the arguement about three hours. As I see it, the li ion is the buffer and the PEM is the charger. The PEM is slow reacting, needs to get up to operating temperature.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you run out of hydrogen and run the 150 W buffer battery down to flat you are going to have to recharge the buffer battery back up to a certain level before taking off again. At 2 Amps it will take some time to charge back up presuming they are using standard 18650 cells in the buffer battery.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Nope, hydrogen has no place in the future of the EV. Anything that puts sole control of the power source in the hands of a third party is a no-no.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Playing devil's advocate here: Hydrogen, as well as petrol, are both highly flammable. The automotive industry has gone through great lengths to protect fuel tanks against leakage and fire in case of collisions. Knowing personally how mangled a bicycle can get, when struck and run over by a car, all I see here is a rolling bomb.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Playing devil's advocate here: Hydrogen, as well as petrol, are both highly flammable. The automotive industry has gone through great lengths to protect fuel tanks against leakage and fire in case of collisions. Knowing personally how mangled a bicycle can get, when struck and run over by a car, all I see here is a rolling bomb.

. Not as significant ... the hydrogen will float off into the air being a lighter than air gas and disperse rapidly petrol would pool and The energy source remains concentrated. ..
The problem might be significant if there was a major collision of the tour we France hydrogen class in the eurotunnel...

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
If you run out of hydrogen and run the 150 W buffer battery down to flat you are going to have to recharge the buffer battery back up to a certain level before taking off again. At 2 Amps it will take some time to charge back up presuming they are using standard 18650 cells in the buffer battery.[/QUOTE
It's almost a certainly that the cells are the standard 18650. But why would that battery pack not be amenable to standard mains charging. I would assume that draining the buffer battery would be a last resort. ...
I'm not still not convinced of the economic and weight viability of the concept.
The hydrogen bottle contains exotic mixture of materials needed to absorb hydrogen and hold it at a low pressure. This is ex pensive and is added weight. .. it's advantage over a battery is no wear out mechanism
There is the weight and cost of the PEM module
The weight of the buffer battery.
It is hard to see how it would compete with just a bigger battery...

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
. Not as significant ... the hydrogen will float off into the air being a lighter than air gas and disperse rapidly petrol would pool and The energy source remains concentrated. ..
The problem might be significant if there was a major collision of the tour we France hydrogen class in the eurotunnel...
Your comparison of petrol to hydrogen is correct. However, if you were still entangled in said bike when the hydrogen ignited, you probably be unhurt by the flames, right? It just doesn't look safe to me. Use of hydrogen as a common fuel source for cars and now, apparently bikes, is not common for many reasons. Safety being the big one.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Your comparison of petrol to hydrogen is correct. However, if you were still entangled in said bike when the hydrogen ignited, you probably be unhurt by the flames, right? It just doesn't look safe to me. Use of hydrogen as a common fuel source for cars and now, apparently bikes, is not common for many reasons. Safety being the big one.
No energy source is safe, hydrogen has the added problem that it's molecules are so small they can work their way through metals, embrittling them...
Hydrogen as a fuel has plenty of drawbacks , but the reason it has not yet been in use is that petroleum is still cheaper. The majority of industrial hydrogen produced is via a chemical reaction on petroleum by steam, so could not be cheaper. The underlying assumption of a hydrogen based economy rather than the current carbon based one is that it could be produced by electrolysis.

I could have expanded on my previous post. The technology used in those hydrogen bottles used in this bike, is that they are filled with an inert combination of materials. This material can absorb.. proper term is adsorb hydrogen into their matrix at around atmospheric pressure and they slowly release it as the pressure drops. If you ripped open these containers you would not have the whoosh or bang of say a bursting balloon more a gentle hissing... Hindleberg wouldn't happen.
The downside is that these carrier materials are expensive recipes, and provide weight. Were a steel bottle gas cylinder used instead, and it breached, then an explosive event would be more likely. The carrier materials, provide approx equivalent energy storage in the same volume, but are much lighter.
Hydrogen provides the highest energy density per gram of fuel, hence it's appeal as a rocket fuel but when the ancillaries of storage are added it loses its appeal to petroleum products.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
so it takes 3hrs 2 mins to charge back up plus have to take it to a refuel depot ?
I don't know where you've got the 3 hrs from.
it only takes a couple of minutes to refill at the depot.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If hydrogen fuel cell is allowed to be mounted to an e-bike, why then not replacing it with a simple internal combustion engine burning something else easier to source (eg achohol)?

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
No energy source is safe, hydrogen has the added problem that it's molecules are so small they can work their way through metals, embrittling them...
Hydrogen as a fuel has plenty of drawbacks , but the reason it has not yet been in use is that petroleum is still cheaper. The majority of industrial hydrogen produced is via a chemical reaction on petroleum by steam, so could not be cheaper. The underlying assumption of a hydrogen based economy rather than the current carbon based one is that it could be produced by electrolysis.

I could have expanded on my previous post. The technology used in those hydrogen bottles used in this bike, is that they are filled with an inert combination of materials. This material can absorb.. proper term is adsorb hydrogen into their matrix at around atmospheric pressure and they slowly release it as the pressure drops. If you ripped open these containers you would not have the whoosh or bang of say a bursting balloon more a gentle hissing... Hindleberg wouldn't happen.
The downside is that these carrier materials are expensive recipes, and provide weight. Were a steel bottle gas cylinder used instead, and it breached, then an explosive event would be more likely. The carrier materials, provide approx equivalent energy storage in the same volume, but are much lighter.
Hydrogen provides the highest energy density per gram of fuel, hence it's appeal as a rocket fuel but when the ancillaries of storage are added it loses its appeal to petroleum products.
It is amazing what a little fact based reading can do for yourself. I have, what is described to be had by many, "the Hindenburg impression" about hydrogen. You are correct about modern storage tanks being tough and that the gas is held in a much different way than steel pressurized containers. However, proponents of hyrogen as a fuel speak correctly about the risks of leakage but there is little about a rupture in event of an accident. Gasoline fires can be put down quickly as fire departments are equipped to deal with them. In California, where hydrogen cars are presently in use, a truck caught fire in 2014 and it took all the resourses of the Los Angeles County fire department 7 hours to knock it down.

Today it is probably quite safe but I for one is going to continue with what I know. It is going to take a lot of much needed education to the consumer to make this meritorious concept a reality :)