Crank drive v hub drive

micropilot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 29, 2011
Hi I have been reading posts with interest and am now ready to take plunge and buy, but just as I narrowed my vision to a couple of contendors up comes this Tonaro Bighit.... Crank drive for more torque.... really, what are the thoughts of others, has anyone compared the two types of drive directly, how does the crank drive feel?

Now I have specific needs and am needing to try before I buy so is there a Tonaro in Scotland that I can try?
Thanks Alistair

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have one of the new Bosch powered crank drive bikes and also the latest DaaHub, hub motored one...They are both excellent in there own way, but are very different bikes? You have to put more effort in with the crank drive but they are very rewarding and climb hills better, less noise as well which is nice.

You really need to try them to make what is a very personal decision...If I was pushed I would stick with the wisper I guess, as they build great bikes and the support is excellent for when and if things go wrong.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Since the Tonaro is throttle controlled, it's not as different from hub motor bikes as the Panasonic type of crank drive which is torque sensor controlled through the pedals. The main Tonaro difference is in the torque advantage gained by driving through the gears. That makes it sound as if the Tonaro has all the advantages over a wheel hub drive, but of course that is offset by very much higher transmission wear and tear than a hub motor bike where the transmission can have a very easy life much of the time, much easier than an unpowered bike.

micropilot

Jun 29, 2011
To be clear, I need to have throttle only control as an option and I weigh about 14 stone - hopefully less once I get the bike - I had polio which resulted in a weak and short right leg, I used to cycle a lot and was fine with all sorts of bikes, in all conditions. But now post polio syndrome means I cannot expend the energy I used to without severe repercussions, so have been unable to cycle for about 10 years and now finding this I am really excited.

I need the ability to spend some energy peddaling when I feel like it, let the motor take the load way more than most would and enjoy being out and about with the freedom of a cycle.

If I get this right I believe there will be no stopping me and I will be able to take on some real challenges using technology to get over the physical issues I have, and probably a spare battery...

I am considering the Aurora once I get to try it live - I know illegal but may be right for me - if not too big and heavy in real use.... The Wisper because it has the reputation and if it can get a Spanish guy and his wife round the world there is hope for me too; and now this Bighit because it may be the solution that I had not considered (wanted more power and bigger motor) but no dealers in Scotland and would love to try it so is there anyone with one in Scotland that I can try?
ali

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Try the Wisper and if you can get up the hills then go for it, hub gears do get bad press for not helping as much on steep hills but I find that if I'm having an off day I still don't have to put much effort in on the hills. You're about the same weight as me, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi micropilot

Our Commuter Electric Bike bike will do the Job NO problem

It will pull you up steep hills no pedaling

It is Throttle only Twist and GO

Limited electrically to 15 MPH

Where about in Scotland are you

See our web site

Frank

micropilot

Jun 29, 2011
great! thanks I did not find them with Torano and was in Glasgow looking at the Wisper

Last edited:

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
I've got both - just bought a Tonaro Bighit last week. It is great for going up very steep hills that my Cyclamatic dies on BUT it is VERY heavy and I had bother getting it on to the rear cycle rack of my car.

micropilot

Jun 29, 2011

micropilot

Jun 29, 2011
I've got both - just bought a Tonaro Bighit last week. It is great for going up very steep hills that my Cyclamatic dies on BUT it is VERY heavy and I had bother getting it on to the rear cycle rack of my car.
Cycle rack is next on my list but figured that whoever I go the bike from would also supply accessories. If it is too heavy to lift onto cycle rack then I may struggle but the 2-3Kg differnce should be ok for short lifts - on and off rack - I can always remover the battery and lift that separately. How does the Cyclamatic compare to the others I am looking at, is it typical?

I also found the Cintura Sports Enduro Electric Bike recently at a great price new - anyone know about it or where I can try one?
Alistair

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
The Cyclamatic is a decent enough bike at the cheap end of the market as long (as you don't expect Wisper quality) BUT it's price has just shot up by £200 to £699 making it uncompetitive with most bikes in that price range and it also seems to have disappeared from the SportsHQ website as well. It's a bit low powered with only a 24volt 10 amp battery but for just pootling around it's fine.

b0331e

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2011
Hi micropilot,

I am in the same predecament, Tonaro or Wisper as my first choices, closely followed by Juicy Bikes. My commute will be mainly throttle only so I am in search of a bike that can live up to its claims. Due to my work times it's very difficult to get out and do a test ride, so I am having to PM and post threads seeking advice, which have all been good.

Alas I am still stuck between the three contenders, My heart says Tonaro, my common sense says Wisper and my budget says Juicy Bikes.
So I look forward to hearing which bike you decided on and its performance.

To those who I have private messaged please forgive my directness but I am on a quest to get all valuable information I can get.

all the best

B0331E

micropilot

Jun 29, 2011
Hi micropilot,

I am in the same predecament, Tonaro or Wisper as my first choices, closely followed by Juicy Bikes. My commute will be mainly throttle only so I am in search of a bike that can live up to its claims. Due to my work times it's very difficult to get out and do a test ride, so I am having to PM and post threads seeking advice, which have all been good.

Alas I am still stuck between the three contenders, My heart says Tonaro, my common sense says Wisper and my budget says Juicy Bikes.
So I look forward to hearing which bike you decided on and its performance.

To those who I have private messaged please forgive my directness but I am on a quest to get all valuable information I can get.

all the best

B0331E
I have to wait for a try on the Aurora when it clears customs next week, will try the Bighit in Dundee the same day then decide. I have sourced a used Wisper but do not know the price yet and would need to be sure that the battery is ok etc...
Like you, budget is important but being a true Scot I would pay more for better if it was a good deal. Avoiding expensive mistakes is as important to me - I know from experience that cheap is not alway best but also know that you can pay a lot more than you need to for exactly the same spec....
Alistair
Alistair

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi If you like the Aurora

Then Double the performance and the Quality we start With a £500 Bike From Raleigh
Diamond Back Peak HD

Simple things like Hydraulic disc brakes Standard so it stops as well as it Goes

But with a 15 AH 48 volt battery £1895 + delivery Available in Black Or white

Frank

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
If it's a throttle bike you're after, you should also consider the Oxygen Emate City. New frame and paintjob, 15Ah battery, good built quality and fully kitted out. Oxygen Emate City Electric Bicycle

micropilot

Jun 29, 2011
If it's a throttle bike you're after, you should also consider the Oxygen Emate City. New frame and paintjob, 15Ah battery, good built quality and fully kitted out. Oxygen Emate City Electric Bicycle
It does look good but don't they all!!
Too many choices!!
Thanks for all the feedback I will look at all the other suggestions but trying them out will be the issue and that is a must for me, so Scotland dealers lookout!
Alistair