Creaky Panasonic motor

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
My Raleigh Dover's motor seems to have developed a creaking graunchy noise. I think it's the motor because it does not happen when the power is turned off. It is a bit intermittent and does not appear to be interfering with its operation (yet). The bike has done about 2,500 miles over 3 years - with quite a lot of heavy work towing a trailer with 2 children.

Has anyone come across this problem or have any suggestions as to what could be causing it?

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Has anyone come across this problem or have any suggestions as to what could be causing it?
Hi Al.

I can only speak in regard to my own Panasonic motor but Flecc reckoned it was most likely the motor mounting bolts in need of re-tightening. He was proved correct as when I slackened the bolts and jiggled the motor a bit before pinching the bolts up really tight, the noise was gone and hasn't returned.

There may well be other possible causes but it could be worthwhile slackening and re-tightening the three mounting bolts as I did before looking elsewhere.

Regards,
Indalo

ps I didn't realise the Dover model had been around as long as three years.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Thanks indalo - I will try that. Yes, oddly the Raleigh was on sale in Switzerland before the Kalkhoff.