Cube and Giant (2021)

DavidHolden

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2020
Hi all

I've been looking around at the different 2021 models from the various manufacturers and there's a couple that I really like.

The Cube Kathmandu Hybrid SLT

Giant Explore E+ 0 Pro

Your thoughts?

I love the look of both of them and the specs are very similar, I'm swinging more to the Giant though, as it is over 5kg lighter!

Regards
David

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
Not a huge amount to choose between them, it might come down to availability or local dealer support. The rear rack of the cube is built onto The frame, so none removal but perhaps more rigid and load bearing than the one on the Giant. The cube has plenty of options if you don’t need the 625 battery or the upper end components, a lthougqh their website range seems a lot smaller than last week; 625 exc would save 25%, a 500 pro 40%. Better components will cost more to replace down the line.

might be worth looking at the Trek Allante 7 or 8 models at those sort of price points too.

ive had my Giant (Fastroad ex pro under a month but other than the firmware not being up to date initially I’ve no regrets, it feels very solid, plenty of power and despite the small 375wh battery will give 50-60 miles on the lower power settings.

there’s also the Riese & Muller Charger GT, a couple of demo models for sale..

DavidHolden

Jul 16, 2020
Thanks for your reply Pichi.

The Cube does have a 625 battery as well as the Giant, and I do prefer the Cube rear rack as well. I can't see me ever needing to remove it but you never know. The Giant is definitely the front runner at the moment though especially with it being much lighter than the Cube. I was hoping there was going to be a Gates Drive option on the latest models but there isn't. It isn't a deal breaker with it being a chain though.

Still plenty of time to continue my research, Giant emailed me and said they'd hopefully be available to buy by the end of the year.

Thanks again
David

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
There doesn’t seem to be much between 2020 and 2021 models, some are slightly better components but higher prices, some the prices similar but lower components; so don’t assume a 2021 model will be better £ for £.

you may be able to find a 2020 giant model in stock somewhere, you never know - two weeks after I bought mine I found a couple of retailers discounting it slightly; although I’m glad to be able to have a Giant dealer in my town and the Bristol Giant retail store only 45 minutes drive away.

unless you feel you’ll use the higher power levels a lot, the extra cost of a big 625wh battery might actually be a waste of your money. Do you need 70mile+ range if using the lower levels.

DavidHolden

Jul 16, 2020
Well, I had my eye on the 2020 Giant DailyTour E+1 and was hoping for an update of that for the 2021 model, it doesn't look like it's going to happen so I might get the 2020 model if it becomes discounted.

I would definitely use the extra range of a 625wh as I plan on doing some bikepacking trips with whatever I choose to get. I'd be carrying quite a bit of kit as well so the extra power would be most welcome!

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
ItS worth remembering that the total weight limit on giant bikes is ca 156kg, cube is 140kg from recollection. That’s the weight of bike, rider and luggage. The rear rack on my giant Fastroad is rated at 22kg, the bike also around the same. leaves 110kg max rider weight. if you plan on 50kg of panniers, plus backpack and accessories then you could well hit the limits Of the bike or it’s components.

there are also pseudo cargo bikes like the Kona UTE or the Yuba bodaboda, the latter with great carrying ability Of 120kg rider and 100kg cargo. Then you’re into the likes of the Cube super cargo which is great for those carting items around daily but not the best option for occasional tourinh.

Last edited:

DavidHolden

Jul 16, 2020
I weigh 100kg and I know I won't be taking anywhere near 50kg of gear with me so I'm sure it'll be fine. It will be very light-weight wild camping. I'd say a maximum of 30kg. Thanks for the reminder though!

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
No pr
I weigh 100kg and I know I won't be taking anywhere near 50kg of gear with me so I'm sure it'll be fine. It will be very light-weight wild camping. I'd say a maximum of 30kg. Thanks for the reminder though!
no problem, it’s not something buyers think about too much.

100kg rider and a 25kg. Ike weight maxes out a lot of what appear to be strong looking urban/touring bikes

DavidHolden

Jul 16, 2020
Playing devils advocate
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/2020/gran-camino/gran-camino-rightside.jpg

Only £1,269 (17AH) including delivery.

Hydraulic brakes, tough front fork, 650b wheels, powerful motor, large battery

Looks good to me and will fulfill the same role. No locked in ebike system so much easier and cheaper to keep on the road after the warranty period.
Thanks George

I must admit it does look quite nice in the matt black. Very basic though, not really what I'm looking for at this point. Thanks for the info though. If you see anything else, please let me know!

Regards
David