Cube reaction hybrid pro29, first impressions

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
OK so I've had my Cube for a fortnight now, I've only managed 4 good rides so far what with work, the weather and other similarly annoying things.
Anywho, after a dodgy start to my ownership ( dealer issues ) I'm now up & running.
To help with my short arm & dodgy (rebuilt) elbow I have fitted a 45mm stem and 3" down hill bars.

Right from the get go it puts a smile on your face, having recently parted with my 08 Agattu on which I felt like a passenger, this thing is just becomes a part of you and everything falls into place.
I've done 2 rides on Tarmac wearing a pr of Big Apples, the longest being 36miles with a further 20 still showing in turbo mode, both rides being fun.
Two more rides, this time off-road on a second pr of wheels fitted with Smart Sam plus's, get in the right gear/mode and the bike comes alive, 2nd gear & eco/tour making short work of the tight twisty woodland trails and whack it into sports mode to power up those steep bumpy bridal ways.
Everyone asks how many miles on a charge, when it comes to off-roading you can't measure it in miles as most here will know, I like to say it's not how many miles you get to a charge, it's how many smiles you get (I'm still smiling hours later)

Some pictures of the bike & me at 52 pretending I'm 25 again (cubes make you feel younger)
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Oh yes, I should point out the strap around the battery is my paranoia, the battery came lose within the first mile of ride one, I don't think I'd latched it in place properly :( But just to be sure I put the strap on;)
Also having just cleaned the horse muck off (so much for bridal ways :mad:) I noticed the motor housing is plastic, right where it's vulnerable to off-road damage so a stone-sump guard is in order.
If you didn't know this model is 9 speed and comes with a 11-34 cassette, good road speed and low enough for all but the narliest, twistiest steep climbs (in my area).
I'll keep the 11-34 on my road wheels and fit a 12-36 on the knobbly's :):):)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That's a nice looking bike, I hope you get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

How do you find that small front sprocket on the motor? Do you think it has any advantages or disadvantages?

stu

Pedelecer
May 4, 2014
Interested to hear you say you felt like a passenger on your old bike, I feel a bit like that on my bike (e voyager) i think it may be because the back wheel is set back a good six inches more than a normal bike, just doesnt feel right.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
OK my tyre story.
Prior to buying the cube I already had a pr of 2.1" Smart Sam plus's (as new) so at no extra cost I had the shop fit some 2.1" Big Apples instead of the std tyres.
Shopping at Chainreactions I brought some Shimano MT35 wheels & discs (same as original discs) all for £125 :) I still need to buy another cassette (£18.99) and I'm sorted :cool:

Anywho I popped out today for 15 minuets on the Apples a ended up doing 3 hours, covering 40 miles. The bikes has now covered125 miles.
Here it sits wearing the Apples.
image.jpg

This is where I was when the trip hit 100 miles;)

image.jpg

I'm liking the Apples for hardpack & Tarmac.
My new top speed today, 45.1 mph :D

Reactions: EddiePJ and tillson

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
That's a nice looking bike, I hope you get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

How do you find that small front sprocket on the motor? Do you think it has any advantages or disadvantages?
Point one,
yes if we get a dry summer I'll be enjoying it lots :)

Point two,
The small sprocket rotates faster than the peddles (internally geared)
I don't think about it, it rides like an ordinary setup :cool:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Great looking bike. I've got a Cube LTD Pro (not electric) and love it. I think that you get a lot for your money from Cube bikes.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Glad to see that it's all going well. I didn't want ask if you now had the bike. :)

Interesting that you mention the battery. Even on the haibike, I cable tied the battery to the frame at last weekends MTB event. I can't see it ever falling out, but the tolerance is pretty crap from new, and I could see that the battery would rattle like bugger on hard packed rough surfaces.

Whilst they aren't very big, I can highly recommend the Mucky Nutz front mudguard. It won't keep crap off the frame, but it does stop anything flying up into your face.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
"Eh Gringo, 45 mph thats amazing."
It is one hell of a hill :D And a bitch to go up (un-assisted)
By my best reckoning at its steepest, it drops 55 meters over about 0.48 km. I'm already traveling at about 20mph when the steep bit starts so it's just a case of getting your head down and going for it.;)
It's a straight gated road with no side access so there's nothing else to worry about.
On that hill my previous best was 43 mph on my non assisted Trek hybrid, I think the extra weight of the Cube added 2 mph:)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A heavy ebike with big tyres will descend like a tandem - ruddy quick.

My Rose 29er is the same, if I let it go on even a moderate decline I catch riders freewheeling on other bikes quite quickly.

I usually brake, but on the few occasions I pass, I'm sure the other rider thinks I'm under power.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Wow looks awesome. Cube is a brand we are reviewing so look forward to hearing more!.

David

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
OK, so not a lot to tell in the last week apart from finally fitting the 12/36 cassette onto my off road wheels.
No massive difference from the 11/34 fitted on my road rims, the steepest twistiest wooded trail I use is a little easier (only a little) & I've lost the top off my terminal velocity, now down hilling at about 25mph.
Strange but true, one thing that's better is the shifting.
I hadn't thought about it before but I was holding the shift leaver just past it's "click" for a second or so until the shift was complete :confused:, now with the slightly larger rings it just drops straight in:cool:

Anywho,
I'm still loving riding it and squeezed another 20 miles in yesterday.
Maybe I'm loving it to much as my knees (arthritis) are bad now, so today I'll be mostly be sitting in a comfy chair :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I had a look at a couple of Cube hybrid ebikes in a shop.

Nice machinery, reminded me of my Rose.

There may be a cheap and nasty German ebike, but I've yet to see one.

I also like Gringo's four wheels and tyres solution.

Having mountain bike tyres for trail riding will make a vast difference to his enjoyment of the bike.

I was going to say good for winter riding, but it seems to me the trails are wet and muddy for more months than they are not.

Mate of mine who uses an ordinary mountain bike changes his back tyre depending on conditions.

That's a cheaper way to do it, if you can be bothered with the faff of tyre changing.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I also like Gringo's four wheels and tyres solution.
Yes it's a little pricier doing it that way but I saved £130 of the list price of the cube.
New wheels, discs & cassette came to £144, I already had my second pr of tyres so it just seamed to make sense & the best way of using my spare tyres.
Also I can do a road ride one day and off-road the next without the faffing about swapping tyres on rims !

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
OK folks 300 miles now and I'm addict. A little sunshine add a quite country lane & I'm happy. No faults or problems to speak of ( I had a click but that came & went in no time )
You can use a lot of assist and get where you need without breaking a sweat but the fun starts when you put some effort in, match you best cadence with the best gear for the section your on and go for it, those uphill trails I couldn't do before jus get eaten up, I'm loving it.

Actually Ive just reached 298.6 miles today.( close enough to 300 )
Off topic.
Twice I've been past a plant along a country lane I didn't recognise, so today I took time to stop and investigate. its out of place in the hedgerow just standing there with the stingers, at least I now know what it is :p
image.jpg

It's a giant thistle also known as a cotton thistle, it's a big bugger what ever you call it.

Last edited:

Guilherme Sousa

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2015
OK, so not a lot to tell in the last week apart from finally fitting the 12/36 cassette onto my off road wheels.
No massive difference from the 11/34 fitted on my road rims, the steepest twistiest wooded trail I use is a little easier (only a little) & I've lost the top off my terminal velocity, now down hilling at about 25mph.
Hi Gringo, I have just bought a 2014 HPA pro 29 and I am very happy with this machine so far! I like downhill in a very extreme way :) but also means that I need to climb very step hills and it seems that 34 cassette its not strong enough... Does it help to mount the 36 cassette for step hills? Did you notice less "leg work" climbing with 36 cassette? Did you need to change the chain also?

Cheers! Guilherme

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I can't add much more tha I've already said. Yes it's a little easier up hill, going a little slower for the same peddle speed but with more torque. For me it's more noticeable pulling away from a dead stop whilst on a climb, I have arthritis and can't stand on the pedals for more than a few rotations so any extra torque is an advantage. If they were available, I'd fit a 38 or even a 40 ;)
Another option would be to change to a smaler motor sprocket, I think the crank - sprocket ratio is 2.5:1 so one less tooth at the motor would be the same as adding 2.5 teeth to the cassette.
You'd best get a second opinion on that last statement as its past my bedtime :(
I can't remember exactly how much the cassette was but think it was around £15 ?
Cheep enough from
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com
As the chain run is only 2 links longer it shouldn't need replacing but if yours looks to short you could fit a extra link or two rather than a new chain.

Guilherme Sousa

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2015
Thanks a lot Gringo :) I have already ordered one hg300 12-36 cassette 20,50€ at chainreactioncycles.co.uk and hope It will be plug-and-play :) My main issue is if I run out of battery its really painfull to ride this heavy bike plus engine friction so its better to have 36t and saves more battery in step climb as well. Cheers!