Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 500

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
I got my new bike about 8 days ago from All terrain cycles -they're about 5 miles from here. Since then I've done almost 100 miles -mainly commuting or 'useful trips' but today took it out for a spin on the moors.

The bike looks really cool and rides really nicely. I've not had a 29er before and I've been impressed with the ease of rolling, even on knobbly tyres.
Since I got it I have added lights and mudguards but beyond that it is as the factory sent it.

I really like having the Performance CX motor and the 500 battery. I bought the bike with commuting in mind but knew I wanted to be sure that it would deliver so I went for top spec on the electrics. My commute is along a sustrans/bridleway route which is hard pack, tarmac and rutted tracks with a steep climb. It makes the journey so much fun I look forward to finishing work so I can get on and ride home! -Downhill on the rutted track is quite exciting so I make full use of the suspension and disc brakes...

After 100 miles of riding my only complaint is that occasionally there is a rattle or a squeak.

I've not come close to draining the battery yet so I haven't felt range anxiety.

Things I really like about the bike (not the electric side):
The remote lock out on the suspension is really handy changing from road to track. I use that often.
Now my bum is used to the saddle its a really comfy ride.
It looks really cool (Or 'well sick' according to the kids I teach).

Overall, a really positive first 100 miles. It has brought a smile to my face and I have remembered just how much I enjoy cycling!

bike1.jpg

bike1.jpg

L.spa

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2016
I just bought the exact same bike yesterday : ) So far it looks and performs absolutely brilliantly... Got it as a commuting bike but I predict ill do alot more than that on it! Could you send me a link for the bike stand you have please ?

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
Hi, the kick-stand is a Cube one. I got it fitted by the shop so I don't know what model it is. They'll penalty have it on their website somewhere (all terrain cycles) it was about twenty quid.

I'm up to about 140 miles now, love it!

L.spa

Feb 27, 2016
It was a doddle going up hills with the kids in the trailer, they loved the acceleration too, or though I had to remember not to brake harshly as they almost came out of the thing : )

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
If be really interested to know how well it tows, and how far the battery goes.

I've a hankering for some bike packing but I need to determine the range on the battery, so far I've not had opportunity to clobber it.

L.spa

Feb 27, 2016
Got these Chris Boardman Panniers from Halfords yesterday, there on offer at the moment, think they realy suit the 29er cube mountain bike : )

Reactions: budsy

L.spa

Feb 27, 2016
I've not been off road yet, but I do go out for a raz in my lunch break around the country lanes....Also the novelty factor is still very much there when I'm first away at the traffic lights : )

Reactions: Jay Russell

L.spa

Feb 27, 2016
By the way if you buy the rack from Halfords, they will fit for you for nothing....Yeah overtaking up hills is fun : )

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
Two hundred and one miles ridden now.

No faults or problems to report.

Still enjoying it as much as the first ride out.

One minor accident (ice) resulting in a scuffed stand and a torn handlebar grip but thankfully nothing more serious!

Its going to the shop for its free first service soon, I don't imagine they'll need to do a great deal.

Jay

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
Now past three hundred miles.

Went for my first 'proper' ride today, trying to find what my range is. I rode 37 miles over the Pennines from W Yorks to Lancs and home. The range counter said I had one mile left.

The route was on road, with a slight breeze. There were several hundred metres of ascent in total.

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
I'm 65, 5' 8'' with an inside leg of just 29". Just wondering if I should put this bike on my short list as there is a Chain Reaction shop quite close. Am I a little on the short side for a bike with such big wheels?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm 65, 5' 8'' with an inside leg of just 29". Just wondering if I should put this bike on my short list as there is a Chain Reaction shop quite close. Am I a little on the short side for a bike with such big wheels?
The 29er wheels can make the bike feel big for a shorter person, depending on the frame geometry.

However, Cube have you covered, the 16" and 18" frame size have 650b - 27.5" - wheels.

I expect an 18" would fit you well.

http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/mtb-hardtail/reaction/cube-reaction-hpa-pro-2x-greynflashgreen-2016/

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015