Cube Reaction Hybrid SL 500

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
You yourself probably won't be able to recover as fast from the workout as you did before, but in terms of pure 'performance', the 'old you' wouldn't stand a chance compared to the new 'Turbo you' :)
That's extremely good news. The more I learn about pedelects the happier I get.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I bought the Cube Reaction mentioned in my OP today. Only done about 10 miles on it so far. No off road, mainly just small single track paved roads but very hilly. I'm extremely impressed with the way it goes up hill, even years ago when I was at my fittest I would not have been able to keep up with this bike up a steep hill.

I am extremely impressed with it, up until a few weeks ago I had no idea electric assisted bikes were this good.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I also noticed that the electrical assist carries on assisting for a bit beyond the 25kph level (its set to kph at the moment cos I didn't know how to change it to mph). It carries on to about 27 or so kph before you stop getting the assistance.

The bike came with a big thick manual but the writing is fairly small (I got old eyes) so I had to download the info on the purion controller from the web so that I could see how to change the setting to mph on it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: Nev

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I also noticed that the electrical assist carries on assisting for a bit beyond the 25kph level (its set to kph at the moment cos I didn't know how to change it to mph). It carries on to about 27 or so kph before you stop getting the assistance.

The bike came with a big thick manual but the writing is fairly small (I got old eyes) so I had to download the info on the purion controller from the web so that I could see how to change the setting to mph on it.
Assist on bosch starts fading at 25kph and is gone by 27kph. Shimano STEPS cutoff is bit sharper, one of nice things about Bosch.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: Parky

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Did my first off road ride yesterday. Rode up to Aber Lake (Llyn Anafon), near the small village of Abergwyngregyn. I would never now be able to ride up to this lake on a 'normal' bike, but on the Cube it was relatively easy. Didn't even get out of breath (used turbo mode most of the way), super impressed with this bike and electric bikes in general. Should have bought one years ago but had no idea until very recently how good these bikes now are.

Reactions: Parky

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent
Did my first off road ride yesterday. Rode up to Aber Lake (Llyn Anafon), near the small village of Abergwyngregyn. I would never now be able to ride up to this lake on a 'normal' bike, but on the Cube it was relatively easy. Didn't even get out of breath (used turbo mode most of the way), super impressed with this bike and electric bikes in general. Should have bought one years ago but had no idea until very recently how good these bikes now are.
Good to hear @Nev :cool:

I’m certainly finding it’s opening more doors now than if I was riding a conventional bike, that’s for sure :D

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I've got a problem with my bike. A couple of times since I bought it the speedo has suddenly stopped working, but within a few seconds it has come back on again and so I haven't really thought too much about it.

Anyway today it happened again but this time an error message came up which I don't think has happened before. It said ERROR and a code number 503. I have looked in the manual and this says its for Error Of The Speed Sensor. They then advise to restart the system and see what happens. I did this and it sorted it out. It then went off again a short while later, and I had to do the same thing to sort it out. It seems to be an intermittent fault.

I have tried moving the little magnet device on the spokes but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I doubt I will have a chance to take the bike back into the shop until early next week, but if anyone has any ideas as to a simple remedy I would be very pleased. Now I am not going to start pulling the bike apart or anything like that because its still under warranty, but if anyone knows of a simple fix please let me know.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
could be a bad connection where it plugs in to the motor if you take off the left side cover you will see the connections 1 is for the sensor and the other for the display.

unplug them and blow them out and reconnect thats about all you can do bar move the magnet without the bosch software that the dealers have.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Cheers soundwave, I think I shall probably wait until I can take it in next week. I have a non assist mountain bike that I can use for short fairly flat rides, certainly wont be going up any steep hills on it.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've got a problem with my bike. A couple of times since I bought it the speedo has suddenly stopped working, but within a few seconds it has come back on again and so I haven't really thought too much about it.

Anyway today it happened again but this time an error message came up which I don't think has happened before. It said ERROR and a code number 503. I have looked in the manual and this says its for Error Of The Speed Sensor. They then advise to restart the system and see what happens. I did this and it sorted it out. It then went off again a short while later, and I had to do the same thing to sort it out. It seems to be an intermittent fault.

I have tried moving the little magnet device on the spokes but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I doubt I will have a chance to take the bike back into the shop until early next week, but if anyone has any ideas as to a simple remedy I would be very pleased. Now I am not going to start pulling the bike apart or anything like that because its still under warranty, but if anyone knows of a simple fix please let me know.
I would've said magnet, but you've been there done that. NB magnet works better opposite cable end of sensor than mounting screw end.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
In what way does it work better @Trevormonty ? :confused:
Its where centre of sensor seems to be. One way to set it up is move magnet a little at time till it stops working. Mark location and repeat in opposite direction, then place magnet in middile of marks.

If magnet is at either end on border then torque on wheel under power can twist it causing intermittent operation.

• Useful
Reactions: Nev and Parky

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I have tried moving the little magnet device on the spokes but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
The sensor should have some kind of mark on it (maybe a raised plastic line) where the magnet needs to line up with. Note that often this line is NOT in the middle of the sensor where one might think it should be, often its very much towards one end.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
The sensor should have some kind of mark on it (maybe a raised plastic line) where the magnet needs to line up with. Note that often this line is NOT in the middle of the sensor where one might think it should be, often its very much towards one end.
Thanks for this I will have a look later to see if there is some kind of mark. I haven't noticed one so far, but my eye sight is not brilliant so I shall put my glasses on and try again.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
One way to set it up is move magnet a little at time till it stops working. Mark location and repeat in opposite direction, then place magnet in middle of marks.
I did this today, seemed to be working fine. Went out for a ride around 10 miles, made sure I used all gears and all the modes, worked perfectly. Then on the way home I was doing around 14 to 15 mph in tour mode on the flat, not putting much pressure on the pedals it suddenly started playing up again. Speedo stopped working and error code re appeared, happed three times over a distance of about a mile. So looks like its an intermittent fault which is probably going to be difficult for the shop to locate. I shall take it in to them Tuesday morning.