Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPA Action Team

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
Hello

Wanted to add some feedback on my recent purchase of my first eMTB a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPA Action Team, I tried a Haibike XDuro Pro while on holiday in Greece (Santorini) and instantly thought this is something else!...

So the hunt began for an eMTB that matched my criteria see this thread for more details (good mtb capability 140mm+ travel and around £3700).
I started internet hunting after dropping in a handful of local dealers to get some more dealers to try call in on and call, I've got to be honest locally (Yorkshire) the range stocked in-store is poor 1,2 maybe 3 bikes for my requirements.

I managed to find a dealer (Race Co Cycles - Stourbridge) who I must give a shout out to, For me a 270 mile round trip but had Lapierre, Haibike and Cube eBikes in stock to try! SO if you looking and you can make the journey I highly recommend them, Paul did all he could to help and setup bikes to test instore.

Anyway the bike!...

So far ive done two rides, One completely off road and very hilly to test out climbing something i HATE! and it does take some getting used to, looking at hills and thinking I usually would but lets go! I've actually found myself thinking of hills I hate and would completely avoid becoming places I head for!

I rode up an embankment that was around 25-30% for a good 400-500metre loose gravel, ruts and its was amazing to climb!

I went for an "Enduro" range machine as I enjoy downhill/decents and ride singletrack and moorland and I have to say (I do have 160mm travel on this thing) man it flies! So capable of taking a hammering and very confidence inspiring.
I do find in berms that I can feel that extra weight load of suspension and have to compensate slightly on entry and exit (Sometimes a little extra braking beforehand) but this is something I will get used to intime (I had the same with previous bikes, geometry effect body position).
The extra weight during woodland/forests is not noticeable what so ever, Infact its position seems to assist in the placement of the bike.
If bombing through the woods and weaving the bike seems to hold its intended place better (Im assuming its just the weight being transferred to tyres and "digging in").
I was somewhat worried that 160mm might not be the climbing machine I wanted, I was so wrong! Its genuinely at home going up as much as down them!

Ride two was a more low key affair, local greenway with odd singletrack mixed in mainly on tour mode to gauge the range I can expect.

So far ive been mainly using the Eco, Tour and occasionally Sport modes. Im yet to use Turbo but hoping tonight might present an opportunity!

So far Ive done around 30miles since buying this weekend, Im out again on it with another friend who has bought on doing a first "full on" ride.

Colours I have to say arent my usual choice of bike i prefer subtle! But Its their flagship model comes with Kashima coated forks, 4 pot brakes, reverb stealth dropper so I can see why they chose its and its growing on me!

OH one thing I do hate about e-bikes sty fences etc (Jesus! and theres quite alot near me!)

Any questions ask away

Attachments

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
I bet your other bike won't get a look-in now!.
Infact the other is actually for sale! Ive got four bikes now so ones got to go!

Glad you're happy with Race Co.
470 mile round trip from me......but they were brilliant when I had a major issue just before warranty was out.
Yeah cant recommend them enough, Paul would have happily showed me every bike in store.
He did say with warranty stuff they keep alot of stock so any issues they get you back up and running and they will deal with the warranty then

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
Another ride to add, This time more local Holmfirth and a ride Ive never done before we did the Medium Holmfirth Bike Challenge what an amazing mix of scenery, climbing and descents! A little too much minor/rural roads but we can tweak that.

http://www.bikechallenge.co.uk/

The bike literally shone through, my friend had been and bought his bike that day and this was his first ride on it!
Climbing wise we ascended 3,239feet rode 20.4mile and I would say we had two bars of battery remaining so for me I should be ok on longer rides in the Lakes I will need to conserve battery more, Yesterday I mainly used tour and on very steep climbs sport.
There was one bowl when riding along I dropped into and managed to climb out the other side I was astounded!

One of the MTB rides I can honestly look back and think it was tough, very enjoyable and I found myself taking the scenery in more. Usually on mtb rides its a constant battle with fatigue!

Amazing scenery

Attachments

Reactions: LeighPing

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
Nice review, not many of them around for the cube bikes. Hows it going now?

I'm looking at getting the lower spec'ed Stereo Hybrid 160 HPA Race 500 2017. Will be riding the same moorland around Huddersfield area.

My only doubts are if 160mm travel is too much and not having plus tires which a reckon would be a help up steep slippy cobbles. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Earthskyouch20

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
Awesome, Absolutely love the bike. Done literally hundreds (possibly approaching 1000 mile mark) I work in Bradley Huddersfield and do alot of local riding aswell as Yorkshire/Derbyshire and its more than enough infact at time i sort of wish I had a little less travel.

It is hard to compare "plus" size bikes I mainly ride with another lad on a ebike "Mondraker 27.5+Plus" and its a very comfortable bike for normal cross country/trail ride where as the HPA seem to really shine going downhill and more technical riding.

Frequently ride around Holmfirth area and that has a nice mix of everything and both bikes tackle it all, I genuinely cant say Ive heard had to get off and push no matter the gradient/technical elements of climbs

Reactions: Earthskyouch20

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
Plus one on race Co Cycles in Stourbridge, very helpful staff there.

Glad you're enjoying the Cube, some good trails round Holmfirth - I've cycled round Ladybower a few times, not quite as far north as you but in the same park.

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
Awesome, Absolutely love the bike. Done literally hundreds (possibly approaching 1000 mile mark) I work in Bradley Huddersfield and do alot of local riding aswell as Yorkshire/Derbyshire and its more than enough infact at time i sort of wish I had a little less travel.

It is hard to compare "plus" size bikes I mainly ride with another lad on a ebike "Mondraker 27.5+Plus" and its a very comfortable bike for normal cross country/trail ride where as the HPA seem to really shine going downhill and more technical riding.

Frequently ride around Holmfirth area and that has a nice mix of everything and both bikes tackle it all, I genuinely cant say Ive heard had to get off and push no matter the gradient/technical elements of climbs
Like the look of the mondraker, any more feedback from your mate? Is it the hardtail or full suspension?