Curious battery problem (Freego Wren)

tonysuffolk

Just Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Perhaps this is a long shot but perhaps someone can advise me.
My wife's Freego Wren developed a fault. When applying power, there is a stuttering sound from the motor and almost no power. The rear wheel will turn smoothly when the bike is on it's stand but there is little power.
The battery level lights indicate it is fully charged. I tried charging it and the charger indicated a full charge after a few minutes. I measured the voltage across the terminals of the battery and found it to be 19.6 volts. (It is a nominal 36 volt battery.)
This suggests to me a sudden battery failure but I'm curious as to why the battery level indicators on the bike show a full charge.
I would very much appreciate some advice before going to the expense of a new battery. This original battery worked well last week and showed no signs of coming to the end of it's life.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Tony,

It sounds to me as if you have a connection problem, probably between the controller to the motor. In the first instance, have a quick check that the connections are good and the cable has not been worn through or damaged.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Perhaps this is a long shot but perhaps someone can advise me.
My wife's Freego Wren developed a fault. When applying power, there is a stuttering sound from the motor and almost no power. The rear wheel will turn smoothly when the bike is on it's stand but there is little power.
The battery level lights indicate it is fully charged. I tried charging it and the charger indicated a full charge after a few minutes. I measured the voltage across the terminals of the battery and found it to be 19.6 volts. (It is a nominal 36 volt battery.)
This suggests to me a sudden battery failure but I'm curious as to why the battery level indicators on the bike show a full charge.
I would very much appreciate some advice before going to the expense of a new battery. This original battery worked well last week and showed no signs of coming to the end of it's life.
Firstly, if your bike is under two years old, this should be a warranty repair. Secondly, you should have your battery voltage checked. A battery with damaged cells may show fully charged but not have enough power. In my experience with these bike what you describe could be the following and nothing to do with your battery.

It could be your controller. Water may have gotten into the cavity or it is simply worn out. The other thing it may be is your planetary gears worn out inside your motor. These things need to be checked by a dealer. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Scorpio
D

Deleted member 4366

A 19.6v battery cannot cause the motor to stutter. Either you have two different problems or you forgot to switch the battery on before measuring it. Stuttering is 9 times out of 10 a bad connection and one time out of 10 a faulty controller (mosfet blown).

Check that the connector near the motor is fully home.

Reactions: Emo Rider