Current pricing is likely a bargain compared to pricing in 3 months time

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Just thought I'd raise the issue that prices are going to increase massively so for stock currently landed in the UK and being sold through by supplier's it could be a bargain compared to prices to come soon. If you want anything already imported into the UK then now is the time to buy. Whether you can afford to buy now is another matter with all that is going on with energy and mortgages etc but if you can, making that purchase sooner rather than later could save you money.

The only possible reason that isn't going to be true is with consumer spending dropping significantly perhaps some retailers and suppliers will be forced to drop prices later or otherwise sit on stock but as soon as they order new stock its going to be much more expensive for them.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got a transformer from china a couple of weeks ago and its now £30 more expensive :(

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Just thought I'd raise the issue that prices are going to increase massively so for stock currently landed in the UK and being sold through by supplier's it could be a bargain compared to prices to come soon.
Yes, prices might increase massively.

Or maybe not.

So is it heads or tails ?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just thought I'd raise the issue that prices are going to increase massively so for stock currently landed in the UK and being sold through by supplier's it could be a bargain compared to prices to come soon. If you want anything already imported into the UK then now is the time to buy. Whether you can afford to buy now is another matter with all that is going on with energy and mortgages etc but if you can, making that purchase sooner rather than later could save you money.

The only possible reason that isn't going to be true is with consumer spending dropping significantly perhaps some retailers and suppliers will be forced to drop prices later or otherwise sit on stock but as soon as they order new stock its going to be much more expensive for them.
a lot will depend on Liz Truss. The mess we are in is caused by her wanting to deliver taxcuts way too soon.
If she does a u-turn on her tax cuts, showing the world that her government is fiscally conservative (ironic isn't it, a conservative party whose policy for the economy is seen by most economists as fiscally irresponsible), cancel tax cuts, cancel boosting the economy, concentrate on capping energy cost, reducing inflation and insulating homes to reduce the cost of energy. The Pound will recover rapidly and many of us get on with buying bikes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how much will the 2023 ebikes cost i might be a bit short atm :p

• :D
Reactions: guerney and Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
£/$ near parity makes buyind stuff from china a bit more dearer.
I was going to buy a AKM 75 before xmas but that is now on hold.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Yes, prices might increase massively.

Or maybe not.

So is it heads or tails ?
I can't see how they won't increase massively unless the drop in the value of the £ is only for a short time but I really can't see that. I've been saying a long time the UK economy is reliant on borrowing and at some point international banks and bond markets etc will first start losing confidence in the UK economy to pay so raise interest rates for our borrowing and then reach a point where they won't lend at all. The original Liitokala battery I bought has almost doubled in price now based on the price today. I paid £80.47 before VAT and in the end with cashback from topcashback about £4-5 I paid about £91-92 inclusive but now it looks like after VAT it will be close to £185-190 after VAT and a bit of cashback. It was originally purchased in March and I've watched it increase bit by bit. I might have visited the site 3 times in the last 6 months and typically its gone up about £10-20 each time. This current price may not even allow for the collapse of the £ perhaps next week it will be £170 before VAT. Looking at some ebike LCD displays I bought that were £33 in June after VAT and postage they are now £46 from the same supplier. That's over 30% increase. A battery bought in June for £24 is now £26 but the free postage has now become over £11 postage so £24 is now £37 before VAT. So over 50% increase. Another item bought for £6.50 in August is now £7.84 before VAT. So only a month ago and still a significant increase. I've never known such price inflation in my life.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't see how they won't increase massively unless the drop in the value of the £ is only for a short time but I really can't see that.
for many imported products from China, the underlying price is in RMB although the strike price is in US dollars. A year ago, the Yuan (RMB) was worth 16 US cents, now 14 cents, so it is affected like the Euro. The £ price of the bike components I buy now is about 8% more than what I paid back in January.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Truss not giving a hoot about runaway inflation will bite us all in the arse like Kwasi - like Reagan, it appears she'll let the central bank attempt to manage the unmanageable.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Truss not giving a hoot about runaway inflation will bite us all in the arse like Kwasi - like Reagan, it appears she'll let the central bank attempt to manage the unmanageable.
she will use the devalued Pound as the proof of growth, achieved purely on the back of inflation.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The way they are making a right mess of things, one can't see either being in the posts by years end. At the rate theor going thye may be lucky to servive by end of October.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So glad I bought all those huge tubs of cheap beans before the pandemic - Downing Street has rejected calls for Parliament to be recalled. It's going to be funny watching the Kwasi Doomsday Cult attempt to rally the troops at the Tory party conference. They may run out of whips, or wear them out... which'll be more expensive to replace, than they were before we crossed over the fiscal event horizon.

Last edited:

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
The way they are making a right mess of things, one can't see either being in the posts by years end. At the rate theor going thye may be lucky to servive by end of October.
The way I see it and I'm no defender of Boris but he had a mandate at the polls. The party decided to replace him for good reasons admittedly but then the party itself chose who to replace him with not the country and now we have this. It feels like a no confidence vote should lead to a new election not allow completely different people to take the helm especially those who appear to be extremely right wing with their policies and dare I say it completely incompetent. There is no democratic mandate for Truss. I feel there is a huge amount of people that voted for Boris but would never have voted for Truss with these extreme right wing policies. To be honest if this mini-budget was presented at the polls with tax reductions for the super rich when a huge percentage of people are facing food poverty and eviction it would have been suicide.

Truss could well go down as our worst prime minister ever. Some prime ministers have been hands off and don't achieve much but at least hands off is better than hands on when all your decisions are terrible.

Brexit is a two stage process, we leave the EU and then we form policies that return us to a trading surplus as a priority with fiscal responsibility. I'm just not seeing any policies by any party that start adjusting our economy and reducing imports and making exports easier. The pound devaluing could be a good thing at the right point but as part of an economic recovery later on when we are less reliant on imports. Sick to death of parties that have their own political ideology that controls them rather than good economic business skills. It's like a choice between the three stooges and laurel and hardy when you want to have a house built.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
she will use the devalued Pound as the proof of growth, achieved purely on the back of inflation.
And greatly increased debt. Just like Reagan.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The way I see it and I'm no defender of Boris but he had a mandate at the polls. The party decided to replace him for good reasons admittedly but then the party itself chose who to replace him with not the country and now we have this. It feels like a no confidence vote should lead to a new election not allow completely different people to take the helm especially those who appear to be extremely right wing with their policies and dare I say it completely incompetent. There is no democratic mandate for Truss. I feel there is a huge amount of people that voted for Boris but would never have voted for Truss with these extreme right wing policies. To be honest if this mini-budget was presented at the polls with tax reductions for the super rich when a huge percentage of people are facing food poverty and eviction it would have been suicide.

Truss could well go down as our worst prime minister ever. Some prime ministers have been hands off and don't achieve much but at least hands off is better than hands on when all your decisions are terrible.

Brexit is a two stage process, we leave the EU and then we form policies that return us to a trading surplus as a priority with fiscal responsibility. I'm just not seeing any policies by any party that start adjusting our economy and reducing imports and making exports easier. The pound devaluing could be a good thing at the right point but as part of an economic recovery later on when we are less reliant on imports. Sick to death of parties that have their own political ideology that controls them rather than good economic business skills. It's like a choice between the three stooges and laurel and hardy when you want to have a house built.
At least, with the Three Stooges and Laurel & Hardy,
you could have a good laugh.