curry meerkat motor

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
My local ''Hawk''cycle shop are selling a touring e.bike fitted with an electric motor that is fitted externaly on the side of the rear wheel,i understand this is called a Curry type motor,its powered by a SLA battery which does not bother me as i am looking to keep costs down but not at the expense of a reliable bike.Are there any owners of such machines on these forums,if so i would realy like to hear from you,both good points and bad.
Thanks
Brian

Skysurfer

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2011
Hi, Brian.
I've just bought one of these motors, a Currie Electro Drive (jeez, how retro can you get?) fitted to a Saracen mountain bike . It used to push my mate (22st!) around. I understand it's got more torque than a standard brushless hub motor, but I'd suggest you google the thing for more info (here's one electro drive .:07974 723996:.). My SLA's are dead, so I've not had the pleasure of it yet. Looking at it,, it seems likely to be real easy to fix/maintain. I'm currently looking for battery replacements, but am not sure if I should move to LiFePo4's. Anybody got a link to a supplier for 12v 10aH SLA's?

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
My wife has an Izip and she beats the living daylights out of it for 8 miles every day, it just laughs at her. Yes it has some power as we have a few 12% hills around here and she not a little lady. You might laugh and call it retro but it beats the pants of some of the rubbish out there.