Customs bag... and sewing machine?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello all,

I've been digging around amazon, ebay, aliexpress, wiggles and more... and I've never really found the type of bags I'm looking for.

When they are slightly good enough for my needs, they are overpriced:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001VS1J3W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000OZGI2U&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1CV6272RAB4S01DNYKZ0

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=57623

My needs are actually quite simple, I want a bag I'd fit on my bike that is:
- Able to contain my laptop (small macbook air 11") and have 2-3L of additional space for 100 * 18650 cells. Bag should be around 6 kg.
- Is quick release so I can bring it home every night with my bike parked outside
- Is relatively safe against thieves.
- Not looking too ugly or dumb as I'll also bring it to work from time to time... (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-17l-Small-Motorcycle-Top/dp/B00CJC5E8U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PD09CP54S78MQN48Y21)

I was thinking to create my own bag with this:
Sewing machine:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AYZ5MLS/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2JO3HY5OF3CNS
Heavy duty needs:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jean-Denim-Machine-Needles-Size-100/dp/B004BP6D2O/ref=pd_sim_kh_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W6S6X4V2SVA2YV56NNN
Heavy duty thread:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STRONG-BONDED-NYLON-THREAD-40S-3000MTR-UPHOLSTERY-ASSORTED-COLOURS-FREE-P-P-/130860547069?pt=UK_Thread_Floss_1&var=430123179870&hash=item1e77e57bfd
Heavy duty fabric:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACKOUT-WATERPROOF-BLACK-CANVAS-FABRIC-150CM-WIDE-PER-MTR-SUPERIOR-QUALITY/141218884324?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=28111&meid=76cd4486f3f84631b9d3e0c364eba817&pid=100005&prg=11472&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=141292243755&rt=nc

This way, I have for sure the bag I need to the exact size. What I envision to do:
- First thing would be to sew some quick release to my current backpack so it can fit to my bicycle.
- Then sew an additional battery bag with quick release to the seat post
- Create some custom frame bag with quick release.
- Create some customs bicycle bag so I can fold them inside and take the train with my bag.

Only issue is it's still tissue, so potentially someone can take a knife and open it... but it would still be a great improvement.

Good idea?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I like your basic idea. I often find that to get exactly what I want, I either have to create it myself, or do extreme modifications on an existing product. The sewing machine is quite expensive, and probably costs more than having a custom bag made. It could be justified if you are likely to use it for other projects, and have fun using it.

Another approach would be to cut out the material and pin it together, and then take it to someone who has an industrial sewing machine, for example a local shoe mender.

When finished, put a label on it that reads "Warning, this bag contains hazardous biological samples." People will tend to leave it alone.

Reactions: cwah

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
trouble is cwah the holes with stitching let in water when it rains, rely has to be heat bonded to make it water proof,i have made panniers in the past using old panniers as a template , the thread +fabric+needles and the machine, would all do the job, pippeing foot would make a nicer finish to the job sometimes suplyed with machine (one of my talents city and guilds in upholstery) had to repair car seats at one time.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
You might have a look in your local camera shop.. They do all sorts of bags of varying sizes and most pro togs carry laptops and stuff, they are pretty tough and waterproof to boot. I wouldn't worry too much about the waterproofing as most decent bags come with a built in nylon waterproof cover.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I like your basic idea. I often find that to get exactly what I want, I either have to create it myself, or do extreme modifications on an existing product. The sewing machine is quite expensive, and probably costs more than having a custom bag made. It could be justified if you are likely to use it for other projects, and have fun using it.

Another approach would be to cut out the material and pin it together, and then take it to someone who has an industrial sewing machine, for example a local shoe mender.

When finished, put a label on it that reads "Warning, this bag contains hazardous biological samples." People will tend to leave it alone.
I have been thinking about that... some sort of warning so people don't touch that.. Biological sounds good. May worth a try :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
trouble is cwah the holes with stitching let in water when it rains, rely has to be heat bonded to make it water proof,i have made panniers in the past using old panniers as a template , the thread +fabric+needles and the machine, would all do the job, pippeing foot would make a nicer finish to the job sometimes suplyed with machine (one of my talents city and guilds in upholstery) had to repair car seats at one time.
So if I buy the list I mentioned it's all good to go? And to heat bond I can just use a lighter I suppose?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
You might have a look in your local camera shop.. They do all sorts of bags of varying sizes and most pro togs carry laptops and stuff, they are pretty tough and waterproof to boot. I wouldn't worry too much about the waterproofing as most decent bags come with a built in nylon waterproof cover.
Problem of these camera bag are that they are not made to fit my bike. There isn't any quick release to the bike, and I'd be left with the same frustration as I currently have. Unless they do specific range of camera bag for bicycle that I'm not aware of

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Wye not make something with sheet ply, waterproof it then cover with material. Would be more secure and could be held on with straps or bungees.
Main benefit of fabric is that it is lightweight. Much more than hard cover.

Fabric can also be already waterproof and with cordura and 1000D alike they are very much tear proof and strong.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Provided you've got a rack this one's not expensive:

Dawes Messenger Pannier

Although heel clearance may be a problem, particularly on a small wheeled bike.
It does look nice but isn't it a side panier on the rear?

It would significantly increase my bike width and will be a problem when I need to filter cars in london :(

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
It does look nice but isn't it a side panier on the rear?

It would significantly increase my bike width and will be a problem when I need to filter cars in london :(
No, you'd be fine. I filter cars in and out of London every day with a rear rack and pannier. You don't notice it at all as it's right behind your legs. The limiting factor is handlebar width (and that's me on a road bike with 440mm handlebars!)

Michael

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
For waterproofing fabric spray examples see
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/search/go?view=grid&w=waterproof+spray

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
No, you'd be fine. I filter cars in and out of London every day with a rear rack and pannier. You don't notice it at all as it's right behind your legs. The limiting factor is handlebar width (and that's me on a road bike with 440mm handlebars!)

Michael
I'm filtering the cars so close that I'm bending sideway to allow handlebar to go through. And sometime I have to move pedals around to avoid hitting the pedestrian pavements..

Not sure I can do that with side bags?

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I'm filtering the cars so close that I'm bending sideway to allow handlebar to go through. And sometime I have to move pedals around to avoid hitting the pedestrian pavements..

The answer is to have custom made bags ,made with the sort of material that roll top bags are made with, a strong PVC covered fabric, used in off shore kayaking and other sailing pastimes, I can't find my boating mag right now ,but a company advertise in it, who in deal solely in this. A trip to the boat show perhaps?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
The answer is to have custom made bags ,made with the sort of material that roll top bags are made with, a strong PVC covered fabric, used in off shore kayaking and other sailing pastimes, I can't find my boating mag right now ,but a company advertise in it, who in deal solely in this. A trip to the boat show perhaps?
Not sure to get what you mean... are you saying some fabric such as the one for boat should be the one I need for filtering cars, or is it unrelated?

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex

I think that you should have a happier life if you didn't ride so aggressively. Is there a pressing need to get through such small gaps?