Customs bag... and sewing machine?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
My thought as well, the only cyclist I have seen take such "gaps" bent the mirror on one car and had to use his hand on another to stop hitting it.
All he acheived was to make drivers hate cyclist more.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
This is an example. What I meant is that I like the agility I get from the bike.

And adding width is going the wrong way around in which I take more space.

Obviously, when I have more time I don't filters car, but there are time where there is a massive traffic jam (quite common in london), and the red light barely allow a few cars to pass before it goes back to red.

I know for a fact that if I wait there, I'd have to wait for something like 15mn and I'll arrive late to work.

Then I need to "filter" to the pavement to walk out of this traffic jam.

That's the main benefit of bicycle, being agile, and that's why I won't get a 3 wheeler or any thick bikes

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
This is an example. What I meant is that I like the agility I get from the bike.

And adding width is going the wrong way around in which I take more space.

Obviously, when I have more time I don't filters car, but there are time where there is a massive traffic jam (quite common in london), and the red light barely allow a few cars to pass before it goes back to red.

I know for a fact that if I wait there, I'd have to wait for something like 15mn and I'll arrive late to work.

Then I need to "filter" to the pavement to walk out of this traffic jam.

That's the main benefit of bicycle, being agile, and that's why I won't get a 3 wheeler or any thick bikes

I can well imagine the situation you described. Normally, it happens to me when I am on my motorbike in a heavy snarl-up - a right b*gger to get past. I am sure this is a regular feature in Central London during rush hours. It is all remote frustrating when on a bicycle you should be able to "walk out of it".

Reactions: cwah

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I'm filtering the cars so close that I'm bending sideway to allow handlebar to go through. And sometime I have to move pedals around to avoid hitting the pedestrian pavements..

Not sure I can do that with side bags?
You can. I filter exactly the same traffic on a bike with narrower handlebars than yours and with a single rear pannier - the pannier isn't noticeable at all. I can comfortably and safety get through gaps that motorcycles and scooters have no hope of doing. Obviously safety and courtesy are key though.

Michael

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
You can. I filter exactly the same traffic on a bike with narrower handlebars than yours and with a single rear pannier - the pannier isn't noticeable at all. I can comfortably and safety get through gaps that motorcycles and scooters have no hope of doing. Obviously safety and courtesy are key though.

Michael
Which side pannier did you use? A lot of them seem to add noticeable width to the bike.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Which side pannier did you use? A lot of them seem to add noticeable width to the bike.
Altura Dryline 32. They are 32 litres for the pair, so 16 litres each and can be used front or rear. I only use one (the cat weed in the other!) and it's been great, commuting in all weathers for the last 5 years. My clothes inside have never got wet. I also use a Tortec Velocity rear rack which helps slim things down as well, as it is a slimline rack which tapers in like the seat stays.

Michael

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Ah your one also has some cost and isn't cheap... i need to think again about the benefit of getting this and making it myself...

I have currently a road bike and I'd like to keep things lighweight... so adding a rack isn't going to help..

Hmm...

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Altura Dryline 32. They are 32 litres for the pair, so 16 litres each and can be used front or rear. I only use one (the cat weed in the other!) and it's been great, commuting in all weathers for the last 5 years. My clothes inside have never got wet. I also use a Tortec Velocity rear rack which helps slim things down as well, as it is a slimline rack which tapers in like the seat stays.

Michael
What you told me gave me idea to try it, see what I did:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/road-bike-commuter-bike.19733/

I'm trying to have my bag without carrier but it seems difficult to do.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My brother runs a custom canvas and camper van business. He is also a sail maker

He knows all about strong, water proof fabrics!

He has custom made bags for folk plenty times before although not his main business ( last one was 6 bags for a band's electronic gear)

No idea how pricey it would be-just a thought ff stuck

http://conceptpoptops.com

Cheers

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
My dawes bag cracked:

Does it worth it to repair it or just buy another one? My budget is not very high so I'm not sure I can ask for custom repair

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I had a similar situation before repairing the bag is not ultimate solution. My pannier kept on breaking because of weight of the battery. Finally I have the custom made frame bag to fit the frame triangle and the problem solved.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Your local cobbler, if you have one will repair a bag. He did a brilliant job on my grandsons school bag, after the shoulder strap tore out. When I collected it, he apologised, saying it was going to be expensive. He then proceeded to charge me three quid!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I also have some heavy duty needles and thread. Maybe I should have a go before asking for help?