cyclamatic battery poles?

tuftyone

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2016
england
Hi, I have a cyclamatic, but the battery died and I'm looking for a replacement battery. I've found one on an auction site, but I need to check the positive and negative battery terminals are the right way round. I would compare it to my old battery, but I've thrown it away :/

thanks in advance

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
That's easy. Just need a multimeter that costs £5 ish to check the polarity of the battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuftyone

May 31, 2016
england
OK thanks, that even sounds like something I could do, and I probably wouldn't need a multimeter

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
OK thanks, that even sounds like something I could do, and I probably wouldn't need a multimeter
I'd definitely suggest getting a multimeter, just to be certain...if you wire it up the wrong way, there is a chance you could blow the controller.

tuftyone

May 31, 2016
england
thanks. but how can i tell which pole is which on the bike? The battery will be marked with a + and a -

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
Pull the controller out of the controller box, and trace the battery cables to the battery poles.

You'll have a red and black cable.

Red is +
black is -

take a look at which side the - and + connections are when the battery is in the bike, and then make sure that the battery landing terminal block is the right way around, it it isn't, pull the terminal block out (normally held in with 4 screws) and turn it the other way!

Easy :)

tuftyone

May 31, 2016
england
hi, can't seem to remove the terminal block as the screws are knackered. I remember my last battery had the key on the positive terminal's side. are all batteries like this??

tuftyone

May 31, 2016
england
i've deduced that the right hand terminal in the bike is red + , so I just need to turn it round on the battery if it's different (easy??). I think the previous owner has mucked about with this already and there is a lead with a white connector that isn't connected, but it worked ok before the battery went :/ any idea what that is?

Attachments

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
Yes (I or Byocycles take no responsibility for this if you cause damage by opening your Lithium ion battery)

Underneath the battery there should be 4 screws, undo those 4 screws, there is probably some foam underneath on the bottom plate. pull the foam off, and this *should* reveal 2 smaller screws, undo these and a plate will come off, revealing the terminals...switch the terminals around if needed and then reverse the instructions. Easy!

That white cable looks like it could be the speed limiter cable. Is there anywhere to plug it in to?

Last edited: