Cyclamatic Battery query.

pedelecvirgin

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2013
Hi all, I have a Cyclamatic Power Plus, 24v 10ah battery. It is not a new battery, I assume the same age as the bike which is 3 or 4 years. If I go for a shortish ride say 8 miles, when I get back to charge the battery it shows as fully charged on the charger. The battery has to be almost at the end of its low power voltage before it will let me charge it. I do not have a voltage checker or any thing like that. Just wondered if any one else had come across a similar issue?

Thanks. pedelecvirgin

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi have you use the bike until it cuts out, that will at least give you a good idea of the range and condition of the battery.
With an E-bike electrics you will need to use a meter at some point.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
That multimeter is fine, just make sure you've got it on the DC voltage setting before probing the battery! 21miles on a 24v 10ah battery doesn't sound too bad to me though.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
if the bottom of the battery looks like this:

The red wire from the meter plugged into V and the black wire plugged into COM. Red (+) goes to the + of the battery with the black (-) going to - of the battery should give you a reading. Just don't short out the battery at any point! Put the meter on the DC 200V range (left of centre, ten to twelve) i.e. not the range that has a ~ symbol, thats AC.

pedelecvirgin

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2013
Wow thanks a lot.

The trouble is, that if I, say do a couple of small trips, I cant then charge the battery, to allow me to go on a longer one. As the charger says its charged, green and not red light.

I will do test later today and post results.

pedelecvirgin

D

Deleted member 4366

You've used the wrong scale. Show a picture of your meter, and we should be able help.

D

Deleted member 4366

You're on 200 milivolts instead of 200v. The 200v is at 8 o'clock.

pedelecvirgin

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2013
d8veh if i go to the setting you suggest, I get a strange reading of 52.6
if i turn it to the 600 at 11 oclock I get a reading of 28.

D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry, I didn't read it right. Yours doesn't have a 200v scale. Use the 600v scale at 11 O'clock.

28v is about right. It should be 29v fully charged.

pedelecvirgin

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2013
Thanks I had just charged it so all good there. My initial post though was, why will in no let me charge it when say i have done only 1/2 of the mileage the battery is capable of doing?

D

Deleted member 4366

I can only guess that you have a faulty connection somewhere, or a faulty charger.