Cyclamatic, but which one?

rodp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2020
Right gents, I've bought this bike to take in the camper and for possibly general tatting around local on. Three reasons for buying this particular one (four if you count not knowing any better), One; it was very local, two; it was relatively cheap, three; it has a brand new 24v 8.8aH battery fitted (Greenlight or something like that?).
Questions are, does anyone know what the exact model is, and secondly when the battery eventually expires would the motor/controller handle a 36v motor (assuming that would give more power at the wheel?) Actually modifying the bike frame itself to take a different wouldn't be too much of a problem as I have tig welding facilities. Just thoughts for the future.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a Cyclamatic Foldaway. It looks like it's had a replacement throttle. The original had a red switch to switch it on and off, plus it had battery indicator lights.

The motor can take 48v OK as long as you're careful not to go too slow. 48v gets double the speed it can do now. 36v is the sweet spot that gives a speed of 30% more than what you get now, which should be more than fast enough for a bike like that with crappy brakes.

If you want to get a 36v battery, it would be best to get a decent 36v controller to go with it, otherwise it won't be very pleasant to ride. Such a controller and LCD costs about £70 and requires some minimal wiring to connect it. You will also need to change the gearing by fitting a DNP rear freewheel with 11 teeth top gear.

Reactions: rodp

rodp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2020
Thanks for the reply, so quite robust then with regard to upgrading it power wise? And yes, the brakes could be better.
Is it a "foldaway" of any particular mark or model, did they differentiate upgrades or years? Not a clue how old this one is.