cyclamatic charger?

electric_avenue

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Chorlton, Manchester
My son took on my cyclamatic and he tells me it's not charging properly now. It seems to have changed quickly from being fine to not taking a full charge.
Is it worth trying a replacement charger first? Anyone know where I can get one?

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
No, check the voltage of the charger and the battery voltage just of full charge and report the figures.
This will tell us if the charger is faulty or the battery?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Definitely do what OldBob1 recommends, but also check the contacts on the charger plug (the bit that fits in the battery) and also the charging socket on the battery.
If your son has been connecting the charger to the battery without energizing the charger first, the tiny spark can tarnish the contacts and impede electrical flow.
Contact spray and a cotton bud is good for cleaning these. Clean the two prongs on the bike base, and the contacts on the bottom of the battery while you are there too.

electric_avenue

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Chorlton, Manchester
I have the bike with me now. The charger shows 29.3V when plugged in, and the fully charged battery shows exactly the same. It's a 24v nominal system, so I guess that means the battery isn't the issue?
I tried it in the bike and as soon as I open the throttle the green light goes out (it has green-amber-red). I've had one of these before and I thought it would stay green for the first ten miles or so.
Any further thoughts welcome.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Do you mean the the indicator on the Twistgrip? and when the green goes out are all the indicators off.
What does the battery indicator on top of the battery show when the green goes off?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
The green light on my cyclamatic always goes out as soon as some power is applied.
Its obviously set to light at virtually full voltage.

electric_avenue

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Chorlton, Manchester
I took it out for a run this evening. The battery goes to amber straight away (Kinninvie - it used to stay green for 5 to 10 miles) and went red and cut out within about a mile. At this point, the battery is still showing 28.1V.
Any more ideas?

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
How old is the battery? have you checked the battery to bike connections(Blade) they have given problems in the past.
Also does the bike wheels turn freely and are the tyres at there correct pressure.