Cyclamatic Power Plus Owners club (2)

Hi had my Cyclamatic power + for a few weeks and have not been able to get it out on the road due to weather, no lights, and no trip computer so i could get some trip information. When i assembled the bike i charged the battery even though it said it was charged in the paperwork after a quick spin and the green light was flickering.
Yesterday and today i have tryed to run the battery down to cut off by just running on battery power up some quite steep hills. I have acheved this and now have the Battery on charge. Trip details for the first `delivery` charged powerd run (i think it only to 45mins to fully charge apon delivery)

47 mins trip time.
Av speed 12.3 mph
Max speed 21 mph
Distance traveled 9 miles
Now the initial excitment of receving the bike, i still think it looks smart.
I would post some photos but the wife has tidyed (hidden) my camara:confused:
I have notced that there is a slight vibration throuigh the frame when the motor is under extream load and the back gears have a slightly wobbel like a buickeled wheel but Both wheels are `true` at the moment not a problem. I will tinker later and post the charge time for the Battery and a few pics.
I intend to do my commute run to night to see how it will deal with the run.

Thanks for reading and i hope it is of some help to someone.
Eddie F

1hour 45 to charge the battery. Not going out to night is it is pissatively possing it down.
Eddie F

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
1hour 45 to charge the battery. Not going out to night is it is pissatively possing it down.
Eddie F
Eddie

Seems quite a short charge time, my wifes + easily does 10 miles with the lose of only one light. Have to done the commission of the battery?

Powerfull

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2010
Well, I bought one with the discount offered yesterday. It will take a few days to get here though. Let's see if it lives up to expectations... :)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Well, I bought one with the discount offered yesterday. It will take a few days to get here though. Let's see if it lives up to expectations... :)
If you don`t expect a Rolls Royce then you`ll be fine.

Enjoy

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I didn't know they had entered the ebike market. Where have you seen them? :D :D

Colin
Keep it under wraps;) exclusive owners club. you have to wear spatts when riding one:) and a little parlour maid warms the saddle up for you:eek:

Just had a thought, when my battery was charged the charger had a flashing red / greeen led. do the outher owners have this happen on is the charger not 100%. then it took, my be 15 mins for the led to go out on the charger.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Just had a thought, when my battery was charged the charger had a flashing red / greeen led. do the outher owners have this happen on is the charger not 100%. then it took, my be 15 mins for the led to go out on the charger.
Not seen that Eddie

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Not sure what to expect actually, I haven't used even a regular bike for the last 13 years. :)
Try an E Bike for a while and get back on an ordinary bike and you will be shocked as to how hard it is in comparison......

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
First impressions

Just thought i'd write a few lines on my new Cyclamatic Power Plus MTB bike that i bought recently.
SportsHQ delivered it promptly and it arrived undamaged. TNT delivery if i can remember correctly.
It was packed in the box really well, with plenty of soft padding wrapped or attached to most of the parts.
Clear instructions supplied for bike, battery, charger and Shimano gears, although you can still tell that some have been translated from Chinese.
Assembly was straight forward with all required tools supplied, apart from a 14mm socket to check tightness of crank shaft.
Only fiddly bit was the front mudguard, where a small amount of brute force was required to fit.
Tyres needed lots of air as they pack them deflated.
Li-ion battery was partially charged but only took 2 hours before charger indicator turned from red to green.
Whilst i was waiting for the battery to charge, i manually checked the tightness of parts and adjusted the front brake. The rear one is a servo brake and didn't need adjustment. Gears, which are quickfire type, were all sound too. Think they must adjust these at the factory :)

Overall, a really impressive bike. Build quality is top notch and everything looks like it has been well thought out and not just bits added to a normal bike. It's fairly discreet as an electric bike, as most of the battery pack is covered by your legs and the motor is surprisingly quiet.

First test run put a big smile on my face. I wasn't expecting a great deal of assistance with only a 24v battery but how wrong was i :eek:
The motor cuts in fairly smoothly when you start pedalling and keeps it going at a good pace, even up pretty steep slopes. Time will only tell if it will still do this when the battery starts to wear.
Brakes are strong and squeak free (pet hate) and the servo rear was particularly good with a progressive action. Inspired plenty of confidence :)
Unfortunately, i was way too enthusiastic with the throttle and ran out of juice 4 miles from home. After pedalling home under human power, i realised just how much assistance you get from the motor. I was knackered and aching in places i didn't think i had muscles. I haven't got a bike computer yet, so can't indicate how many miles i got out of the battery. I guesstimate at least 20, as i went all over the place i was having that much fun.
Battery took around 5 hours from complete discharge to full charge.
Anyway, to round things off, if you're after a cheap introduction into electric biking, then you can't really go wrong with the Cyclamatic Power Plus.
I'll post updates on things like durability and long term reliability.
Who knows, after a few months i might go all Clarkson and upgrade....
More powerrrrrrrr.......

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Just thought i'd write a few lines on my new Cyclamatic Power Plus MTB bike that i bought recently.
SportsHQ delivered it promptly and it arrived undamaged. TNT delivery if i can remember correctly.
It was packed in the box really well, with plenty of soft padding wrapped or attached to most of the parts.
Clear instructions supplied for bike, battery, charger and Shimano gears, although you can still tell that some have been translated from Chinese.
Assembly was straight forward with all required tools supplied, apart from a 14mm socket to check tightness of crank shaft.
Only fiddly bit was the front mudguard, where a small amount of brute force was required to fit.
Tyres needed lots of air as they pack them deflated.
Li-ion battery was partially charged but only took 2 hours before charger indicator turned from red to green.
Whilst i was waiting for the battery to charge, i manually checked the tightness of parts and adjusted the front brake. The rear one is a servo brake and didn't need adjustment. Gears, which are quickfire type, were all sound too. Think they must adjust these at the factory :)

Overall, a really impressive bike. Build quality is top notch and everything looks like it has been well thought out and not just bits added to a normal bike. It's fairly discreet as an electric bike, as most of the battery pack is covered by your legs and the motor is surprisingly quiet.

First test run put a big smile on my face. I wasn't expecting a great deal of assistance with only a 24v battery but how wrong was i :eek:
The motor cuts in fairly smoothly when you start pedalling and keeps it going at a good pace, even up pretty steep slopes. Time will only tell if it will still do this when the battery starts to wear.
Brakes are strong and squeak free (pet hate) and the servo rear was particularly good with a progressive action. Inspired plenty of confidence :)
Unfortunately, i was way too enthusiastic with the throttle and ran out of juice 4 miles from home. After pedalling home under human power, i realised just how much assistance you get from the motor. I was knackered and aching in places i didn't think i had muscles. I haven't got a bike computer yet, so can't indicate how many miles i got out of the battery. I guesstimate at least 20, as i went all over the place i was having that much fun.
Battery took around 5 hours from complete discharge to full charge.
Anyway, to round things off, if you're after a cheap introduction into electric biking, then you can't really go wrong with the Cyclamatic Power Plus.
I'll post updates on things like durability and long term reliability.
Who knows, after a few months i might go all Clarkson and upgrade....
More powerrrrrrrr.......
Great to see that you are enjoying your Power Plus. We have added a few extras to my wifes, full mudguards(we need them here) extended the a- head steerer and fitted her some bar ends. It`s not a bike for long distance commuting because mileage seems to be around 20 in these temps but might go further when it`s warmer. What she likes is that it is a fairly light bike to move around and with the 17" frame it is very user friendly. she is looking for a more powerful 36v step through for when we go out together and when i suggested selling her power plus her face dropped.

enjoy

Eddie

Seems quite a short charge time, my wifes + easily does 10 miles with the lose of only one light. Have to done the commission of the battery?
I have now recived (last week) a new charger and but havent been out on the bike. Im on holiday next week and will ride it every day to see how the performance is and to make sure the 20 mile range that it seems to be giveing is so. For me 20 miles range is ok for my currant needs.
Do you need to commision a litho iron batt?
with a 24v battery what would the voltage when fully charged and what voltage would you expect the cut out on the bike kick in.

Thanks Eddie F

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Please don't shoot me down in flames as i am fairly new to riding and owning a bike.
Is the front brake on the Cyclamatic classed as a V brake system?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Please don't shoot me down in flames as i am fairly new to riding and owning a bike.
Is the front brake on the Cyclamatic classed as a V brake system?
I hope we would never do that Fordulike. :)

The front brake on the Cyclamatic Power Plus photos is a caliper brake, that's this sort:

The other popular type is the V brake, that looks like this:

The road-sports-bike world mainly prefer calipers, the rim brake mass market seems to prefer V brakes.

Occasionally now one sees cantilever brakes. These have an upside down V brake-cable inner that pulls vertically above the brake arms. The cantilever brake looks like this:

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thank you flecc for clarifying the different types. I think that the Cyclamatic must have gone through a slight change since the stock photo, as it definitely has the 'V' type shown in your second piccy.
It's started to squeal :mad: so i've ordered some new quality pads as i reckon the standard fit are cheap and pretty naff.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That often happens, and I was a bit surprised to see a caliper in the photo.

Soiling often causes squealing and changing the pads is always best then, but do clean the rim faces with a solvent of some kind before using the new pads. Meths, iso-propyl alcohol, petrol, Gunk or a degreasing household cleanser are all suitable. That will prevent the new pads being soiled again.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Moving on from the brake topic, but still in relation to the bike and in particular the battery. I'll be using the bike on a daily basis with around half discharges and topped up again after each ride. I've got the space and opportunity to store the battery in an airtight container in the fridge between uses. They say low temps are good for the battery and can prolong it's useful life.
Is storing the battery in the fridge just overkill, and should i not worry about it and store it at normal room temperature?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Flecc keeps his laptop battery in the fridge ;) However, if your storing the battery only for a few days then don't worry....if for months then its a good idea but only if its half charged...also a bike battery in the fridge will take up a lot of room....I take it you're not married... :D