Cyclamatic Power Plus Owners club (2)

Ratzakli

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2010
Barry - I agree with you, a pannier rack would have been a nice addition but, I suppose, for the price ............ ;)

Anyway, I keep thinking that one of those types that attach to the seat post might do. Of course, there might be a problem with that if you wanted to keep removing the battery from its slide-in frame. :confused:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I just started riding a power-plus at the beginning of June. First impressions are very favourable. I commute 11.6 miles including a 1:10 hill. The hill just feels like a regular hill, normal hills are like cycling on flat terrain, and it has cut 20 minutes off the journey, which I was doing about twice a week on my push bike.

I am concerned for the battery life, having read some worrying reports on this forum, but I will just have to wait and see.

I really miss only one thing - the Power Plus comes without a rear rack, and I haven't found one that fits the unusually shaped frame yet. Has anyone here found a rack that fits? I ordered a Madison Ridge Rear Pannier Rack for Disc Brakes but had to return it. It fitted the width of the axle, but I couldn't connect the front to the frame.
I fitted one to my wifes plus, it was a spare I had from my powertrek( it was damaged in transit and they sent me a replacement and told me to keep the damaged one so I fitted it to the Cyclamatic.) Looking at it I know I`ve seen them before somewhere on E bay.

Barry

Jun 3, 2010
SL6
Anyway, I keep thinking that one of those types that attach to the seat post might do. Of course, there might be a problem with that if you wanted to keep removing the battery from its slide-in frame. :confused:
That's precisely the problem with the seatpost type of rack. When I get to work I need to remove the battery for a recharge.

Barry

Jun 3, 2010
SL6
I fitted one to my wifes plus, it was a spare I had from my powertrek( it was damaged in transit and they sent me a replacement and told me to keep the damaged one so I fitted it to the Cyclamatic.) Looking at it I know I`ve seen them before somewhere on E bay.
I've had a look at photos of the powertrek to try and identify the rack, but I'm not sure what it is. I don't suppose there's any maker printed on it?

On another subject, I had my first puncture on the Power+ this morning, on the rear tyre, and on a road in the middle of woodland! I've been worried about having to remove the back wheel myself, but I was relieved to find I could mend the puncture without removing the wheel at all.

There is such a lot of clearance between the wheel and the frame, thanks to the width of the motor and disc brake, that handling the inner tube is a doddle. I was back on the road within 10 mins (I have had many many punctures over the years!).

AlanGeeK

Just Joined
May 12, 2010
I bought a Topeak Dynapack Saddle Bag for my Cyclamatic. It attaches to the seat post and if you loosen it slightly (1/4 turn) you can turn it out of the way to remove the battery. The saddle bag unclips and can be removed easily.

AlanGeeK

Just Joined
May 12, 2010
guys,
I've noticed something recently and I'd like to find out if anyone else has a similar issue.
If I hit the red on/off button pedalling then feels like cycling in treacle.

Could this be an issue with the rear-brake dragging?

Alan

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
No, i think it's an issue with motor drag as i totally loosened the rear brake and got the same problem.
It's a pig to ride with no power :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
guys,
I've noticed something recently and I'd like to find out if anyone else has a similar issue.
If I hit the red on/off button pedalling then feels like cycling in treacle.

Could this be an issue with the rear-brake dragging?

Alan
Hub motor drag is a real issue. Any internal freewheel fitted disconnects the motor from the orbital reduction gears, but the orbital gears still have to rotate as the rack rotates as part of the hub, so there's the drag of the gear teeth and grease to contend with. They are nothing like as free rotating as a normal bike hub.

A very few motors don't even have an internal freewheel so the motor has to be turned all the time, but that's very rare and I doubt the Cyclamatic is like that.

Barry

Jun 3, 2010
SL6
A very few motors don't even have an internal freewheel so the motor has to be turned all the time, but that's very rare and I doubt the Cyclamatic is like that.
When I had my bike upside down (while mending the puncture) I gave the back wheel a spin to test out this very effect. It seems to spin freely, so the motor must be disengaging when off.

I wondered if the impression of riding through treacle could also be merely "withdrawal symptoms". Without the motor, one is suddenly reminded just how much these electric bikes actually weigh!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wondered if the impression of riding through treacle could also be merely "withdrawal symptoms". Without the motor, one is suddenly reminded just how much these electric bikes actually weigh!
There's a bity of that of course, but they do drag, my hub motor bikes have always been the same and very different from normal bikes. The one exception is the roller drive Nano motor on bikes like the Cytronex, no gear teeth drag.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Flecc what's the Panasonic system like to ride without power?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The panasonics are the best to ride without power as in theory it is only additional weight you are dragging around. That is the theory but my feeling is that there is a little extra porridge when you pedal but my experience is only with the 7 speed Agattu so some of that could have been some hub gear inefficiency. I will let you know what my Emotion sports max is like after the weekend, as that is reasonably light and has none of the (minimal) inefficiencies of the hub gears.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Harry that would be good feedback as I'm thinking about getting a Cross Deluxe or maybe the standard Sport......