Cyclamatic Power Plus Owners club

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I have the folding version which is unrewarding to ride above the assisted level, it is pretty low-geared although I'm not sure gearing it up a bit would make the experience any more pleasureable. But then again I'm comparing it to a fairly light racing bike that I know would be much faster on a windless flat or downhil.

I've found the folder very effective up the hills though and if you ease back a little on the flat and downhill it is quite a pleasant experience.

if the battery ever did go flat it would be very heavy going, hills would more or less impossible
Thanks Artstu. There's no rush so I may hang fire and keep the pennies in my pocket a little longer!

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Many of us, even with the more expensive bikes, have made preference changes to the standard kit that our bikes came with. As cycling is such an individual experience, much more so than say driving, because it is intrinsically bound to our own physical form, I say if the bike you own works for you then great, and it truly doesn't matter what make it is.

Any perceived snobbery you may encounter here I think is something of a complex issue, the motivation ranging from a need to justify the expense of a posh bike to oneself, to a genuine altruistic desire not to see a fellow human being waste their money on a cheaper option with all the inherent pitfalls that might entail. The truth being that value is again such a subjective thing, that no-one else can judge a good deal but yourself, and all that matters is that you're happy.

I'm very interested to hear of your experiences with these machines, and I hope they're good ones, as a lower price point can only lead to a greater uptake of our chosen form of transport - good luck :) .
Fantastic post---- the voice of reason!!!

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
snobs ??

I have not witnessed any snobbery on this forum, certainly not from the main contributors, a group that includes cheapskate DIY'ers as well as owners of off-the-shelf high-end expensive e-bikes.

I am mostly in the former category, so over time I have gained, like many others on here, a good insight about the financial costs incurred to achieve reliability, perceived quality, safety, performance and ease of maintenance.

Those who pay a brand premium are normally guaranteed a good level of after-sales support, for parts, servicing, troubleshooting, etc.

As with any other kind of purchase, one needs to shop around and study the market to figure-out where the best value for money is available. Remember, "value" does not always mean "cheap", but equally, expensive products are sometimes not the best choices (unlike what's implied by the overused and often-misused statement "you get what you pay for").

In addition to my self-designed home-assembled e-bike, I also happen to own an off-the-shelf one. It took me more than a year to take the plunge into e-biking, merely due to the cost issues. In my world (income level, financial circumstances), both bikes are expensive toys (700 GBP and 800 GBP respectively). However, they are useful toys: they not only improve my quality of life, but hopefully also contribute to the well-being of everyone else by minimizing the polluting footprint (noise, traffic, emissions, etc.).

Had my budget been lower, I would probably have gone for the cheaper imports. If money was no object, I would be tempted to try the more expensive machines for which I see added value (better components, different ride qualities, etc.).

Overall, I find the members of this forum courteous and insightful. I am sure that the displayed ego or "chip-on-shoulder" behaviours from some members is just the result of misunderstanding, as it's often the case on web discussion spaces.

So, let's avoid making personal judgments when we only know each-other through keyboard typing, please.

Regards, Dan

Last edited:

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
So with all that said, maybe this thread can get back onto topic, with some detailed reviews of these bikes?

Reactions: dr bob

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
So with all that said, maybe this thread can get back onto topic, with some detailed reviews of these bikes?
And pictures please!:p

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Artstu already did one on the folder here

Regards

Jerry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Better still, lose this thread and have Eddie F re-enter it as a new thread without the provocation. It would be better and more useful to read that way without the irrelevant side issue.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
You know, it`s a shame that we are all scattered so far and wide around the country and travelling etc is just so expensive.

About ten years ago a group of us formed a digital imaging group called IDIG (internet digital imaging group) We plodded along but there were misunderstandings, It was decided to have a meet to get to put a face to a name and air our feelings.(we did that several times) We met on a Saturday at a hotel more or less central to everyone. We had a great meal on the Saturday evening and afterwards in the safety of the hotel had more than enough to drink before retiring. We went out on a field trip on the Sunday, stopped for a great Sunday lunch and finally departed for home around tea time all good friends and with more understanding. We still didn`t see eye to eye on everything but had a lot more respect for each others point of view. Over the years and after the initial novelty wore off some drifted but there is still around six of us that e mail at times and talk on the phone. We will always be good friends, we speak our minds but somehow because we have had that personal contact we are much more tolerant and have that bit of respect.

Now with fuel costs so high and various other expenses it might not be that practical but wouldn`t it be nice:D

Now I`m off for my dinner and a drink( it`s my 65th today and my wifes 50th:D

Dave

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Happy Birthday Dave, have a good one!

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Crikey, I've just found out there's an ignore list.

Hi Blew it. Just checking.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thank you for the birthday wishes:D

I was on the phone to organise my pension and was told that I had 49 years of contributions and will be receiving my £109 per week from next week:D less tax of course for any other investments or earnings:rolleyes: But at least now I can get in the pictures cheaper or get the OAP`s cheap off peak meals at the local pub :)

LBS " punctures fixed £3.50, concessions £2:D

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Thank you for the birthday wishes
But at least now I can get in the pictures cheaper or get the OAP`s cheap off peak meals at the local pub :)

LBS " punctures fixed £3.50, concessions £2:D
I think you will find that you were entitled to those concessions from the age of sixty when you qualified for your bus pass - you should have checked. The money you could have saved would have enabled you to buy a decent ebike. :D ;)
Belated birthday greetings:D

Colin

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thank you for the birthday wishes:D

I was on the phone to organise my pension and was told that I had 49 years of contributions and will be receiving my £109 per week from next week less tax of course for any other investments or earnings:rolleyes: But at least now I can get in the pictures cheaper or get the OAP`s cheap off peak meals at the local pub

LBS " punctures fixed £3.50, concessions £2
If you are an Orange customer you can get 2 for I cinema tickets on a wendesday:)

Happy B day;)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The money you could have saved would have enabled you to buy a decent ebike. :D ;)

Colin[/QUOTE]

Or 2 folders:D :D

Thanks for the B D Greetings

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
If you are an Orange customer you can get 2 for I cinema tickets on a wendesday:)

Happy B day;)
Wednesday is no good, that`s when I go to the PO for my pension:D

I`m definitely "the oldest cyclist in our village"

Thanks for the Greetings

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
You know, it`s a shame that we are all scattered so far and wide around the country and travelling etc is just so expensive.

About ten years ago a group of us formed a digital imaging group called IDIG (internet digital imaging group) We plodded along but there were misunderstandings, It was decided to have a meet to get to put a face to a name and air our feelings.(we did that several times) We met on a Saturday at a hotel more or less central to everyone. We had a great meal on the Saturday evening and afterwards in the safety of the hotel had more than enough to drink before retiring. We went out on a field trip on the Sunday, stopped for a great Sunday lunch and finally departed for home around tea time all good friends and with more understanding. We still didn`t see eye to eye on everything but had a lot more respect for each others point of view. Over the years and after the initial novelty wore off some drifted but there is still around six of us that e mail at times and talk on the phone. We will always be good friends, we speak our minds but somehow because we have had that personal contact we are much more tolerant and have that bit of respect.

Now with fuel costs so high and various other expenses it might not be that practical but wouldn`t it be nice:D

Dave
Happy Birthday to you both

Gepida UK

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall

Dave
Presteigne gives a lot of forum members a chance to meet, I have always thought that those who want to meet other forum members there should wear a badge with their forum identity (or a red carnation!!) as you often don't realise who you are chatting to at the time. A holiday forum we belong to quite often has informal meetings (usually in a bar!) for anyone who is there at the time and would like to meet the other members.

Hope you both had a great birthday :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have always thought that those who want to meet other forum members there should wear a badge with their forum identity (or a red carnation!!) as you often don't realise who you are chatting to at the time.
I agree Tintaglia. When I went to the New Milton show I stuck a label on my jacket clearly showing my "flecc" forum name and that resulted in many introducing themselves to me. Probably none of us would have spoken without that identifying label.