Cyclamatic rear hub motor servicing help

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm deliriously pleased with my new Cyclamatic Foldaway but there is a definite click-clack coming from the rear wheel after 30 or 40 miles

Interestingly, only when it has my weight on it, not when the wheel is spun. It might be the spokes, but I've tried all of them.

Should I send it back between now and the 30th, when the extended Xmas instant-return runs out?
When you say tried all of them, do you mean tighten with a spoke key or just wiggle them with your fingers?

D

Deleted member 4366

the noise is almost certainly the spokes. When the wheel is subjected to weight and/or torque from the motor, some spokes can go loose and make that noise. You need to tighten them with a spoke key. Quicker and less hassle to do it yourself. It's a waste of time replacing the bike because the next one is sure to be the same. It's no emergency to fix them. Mine's been like it all the time. You need a key that does 13g spokes, so get one from ebay for about £3.50. The one's from bike shops are dearer and often don't do 13g. You've just reminded me that I've got my key now so I can finally tighten them.

Last edited by a moderator:

clckn2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2010
Cheshire
I recently bought a whole wheel from SportHQ including brake assembly, tyre and inner tube all assembled with a warning to keep tyre pressure up to 60 psi for £60. All nicely boxed and carriage included. The surprise for me was that the wheel was not central in the bike and I found loose spokes. I used a wheel stand to pull the wheel across and even out the spoke tensions and it rides better than the original wheel. I'll never understand SportHq pricing policy.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I recently bought a whole wheel from SportHQ including brake assembly, tyre and inner tube all assembled with a warning to keep tyre pressure up to 60 psi for £60. All nicely boxed and carriage included. The surprise for me was that the wheel was not central in the bike and I found loose spokes. I used a wheel stand to pull the wheel across and even out the spoke tensions and it rides better than the original wheel. I'll never understand SportHq pricing policy.
That's a good price for the whole assembly.
Was it brand new?

D

Deleted member 4366

That's really cheap. I was going to pay close to that for just the motor gears until the supplier bumped up the postage so I cancelled my order.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hee hee, I didn't bother asking SportsHQ the price for a new wheel, coz I assumed they would charge a small fortune.
Think I'll buy one as a spare :)