Cycle Accident Map

Richard Eis

Just Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Garforth, Leeds
I was a bit worried that every pin in Yorkshire was "red" for dead.

Then I zoomed in some more. Now i'm worried about the number of accidents in total :(

I wonder why the main cause of accidents is "going ahead"? Is that the car or lorry overtaking?

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
London main roads/routes are to be avoided.......But then there are a lot more cyclists on main routes, hence more accidents I guess:confused:

The two deaths near me are at well known traffic pinch points and best avoided at all times. This really does not tell you much other then a bit of a wake up call, and to be even more careful...

saying that, the "going ahead" comment looks a common event, seems your more likely to be hit from the side or behind by a commercial vehicle? at least most of the balloons I clicked seemed to show this. My wifes work route is a bit worrying.

Last edited:

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
I agree with Eddieo, I can't read that much into the map (though I was glued to it for 20 odd nmorbid minutes). The main accidents round my way appear to be on the main roads, but these are the commuting routes which are extremely hazzardous in a car or on a bike.

It did make me pause for thought having just come in from a pretty speedy 15 mile ride. Thanks for posting.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
There's one junction I know well on there with a few 'going ahead' accidents, the problem there is that cars waiting to turn right into it are waved across by people sat in a Q of traffic and then plough into whatever is using the bus lane.