cycle carriers

gerryscott

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2010
I have a new rear cycle carrier -saris bones which fits onto rear bumper and boot of my saloon car.Could not afford the preferred thule with towbar carrier, but the saris looks sturdy enough.It has max weight allowance of 34k, which is ok for my electric bike is about 22k without battery.just to point out have not been on road yet trying it out, but the one concern i have is the weight distribution, with the motor on the rear wheel will this make it dangerously unsteady, just wondered if anybody else has experience of cycle carriers and e-bikes.

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
It's a problem we have in our household with 4 'normal' bikes and 3 electric (we only take 5 bikes with us).
On an Astra Sports Tourer we put 4 normal on the roof and hang the electric on the back using a Saris Bones with no problem. The only thing I do is use a pair of straps from the roof rails to the bike to help support it plus a very long security wire that locks all 5 to the roof-rack.
On occasion we've just had 2 bikes on the back with no problems.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have a new rear cycle carrier -saris bones which fits onto rear bumper and boot of my saloon car.Could not afford the preferred thule with towbar carrier, but the saris looks sturdy enough.It has max weight allowance of 34k, which is ok for my electric bike is about 22k without battery.just to point out have not been on road yet trying it out, but the one concern i have is the weight distribution, with the motor on the rear wheel will this make it dangerously unsteady, just wondered if anybody else has experience of cycle carriers and e-bikes.
Could you provide a link to where you got itfrom. I want one too.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
@ d8veh

Just out of interest, d8veh, is there a particular reason you're not making your own towbar carrier?

You seem to be a pretty competent fabricator.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Followed a Swiss camper of Italy to Croatia ferry this morning and watched him rip the guts out of his tow bar rack on ramp.....make sure it's not to low to ground?

He had lovely pair of Swiss flyers on back.latest stepthrough 36v version which he said was a massive improvement on other earlier bike. Purchased in Germany for 2500 euro...approx 2000 squids

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Just ordered one of these because I haven't got room on my crossbar for two clamps like the Saris Bones has. Also, I feel happier about the weight being taken on the wheels.I hope it's OK because I couldn't find any pictures with a bike actually on it.
Avenir Vermont 3 Bike Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier | eBay
We had one of those and found it was really good. I even used it to carry our old I-Zip ladies enlightened along with 2 MTBs which was pushing the weight limit.
Actually sold it on eBay for more than I paid for it ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

We had one of those and found it was really good. I even used it to carry our old I-Zip ladies enlightened along with 2 MTBs which was pushing the weight limit.
Actually sold it on eBay for more than I paid for it ;)
That's good news It arrived today, but I'm too busy with my Rocky Mountain conversion to open the box yet. I hope to try it on Saturday. Then I'll post a review.

Last edited by a moderator: