Cycle computer recommendations.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
I'm just ordering a few bits and bobs in anticipation of the Auroras arrival. The Marathon Plus Tours are on the way, but I'm in need of a decent speedo. I have a cheap, but adequate 'Mercury' sub-£10 jobby on the Dawes, but don't mind spending more on a decent bit of kit. It MUST have a backlight, and I would prefer wired rather than wireless, but I'm not bothered about too many functions, just time, speed and possibly a thermometer. The bigger the better maybe 3 inch square, and ideally it wouldn't be button cell powered, but I can't seem to find anything that runs on aaa's.....do they exist?

So if anyone's dropped on a quality job for a decent price, I'd be really grateful of your reviews.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I can't help much but I found they always reset themselves in cold weather, very annoying.
I'd also not have another wireless one.

blackrat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 6, 2010
Have you considered a smart phone and app?

I hadn't, I am in the same position as you and waiting for my new bike, I sort of stumbled into the idea. I already have an IPhone, so I just need a handlebar mount. Just an idea
Blackrat

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You are right to go for a wired speedo, all of the wireless ones that I have owned have given trouble. I wouldn't bother too much about battery type either, the button cells last for ages, so you aren't going to be changing them frequently.

You'll more than likely find that you won't use most of the functions once the novelty has worn off. The main ones are speed, trip, total distance and time. Anything else will probably fall into disuse. Take a look at Cateye and Sigma, I have found these to be the most reliable.

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
Hi Blackpanther,

I've just purchased the Cycle Analyst, not cheap but probably the best computer/battery analyser available, designed for E-Bikes. Worth a look. See OnBike link.

Marky T

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I'm after a speedometer/computer for my Ninja. Tried a lovely looking wireless one but it wouldn't send the data from the wheel to the computer and had to take it back.

I need something that works differently to the usual ones as my wheels don't have spokes, and it is really hard to mount the magnets and the receiver. Wouldn't mind an analogue speedometer which connects directly to the wheel but haven't seen one yet.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Have you considered a smart phone and app?

I hadn't, I am in the same position as you and waiting for my new bike, I sort of stumbled into the idea. I already have an IPhone, so I just need a handlebar mount. Just an idea
Blackrat
I have a smartphone and app and use it to analyse journeys but I haven't found a way I trust to mount it on the handlebars, it would need to be fixed well, waterproof and crash proof. I think if it was all those I wouldn't be able to use the touch screen.

I'm after a speedometer/computer for my Ninja. Tried a lovely looking wireless one but it wouldn't send the data from the wheel to the computer and had to take it back.

I need something that works differently to the usual ones as my wheels don't have spokes, and it is really hard to mount the magnets and the receiver. Wouldn't mind an analogue speedometer which connects directly to the wheel but haven't seen one yet.

:confused:

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I have a smartphone and app and use it to analyse journeys but I haven't found a way I trust to mount it on the handlebars, it would need to be fixed well, waterproof and crash proof. I think if it was all those I wouldn't be able to use the touch screen.
Hi Mussels,

I'm interested in what you can do with the smartphone in terms of cycle application.

I've a Samsung Galaxy i9000 with about 4" screen. It runs Android so all the apps are available. Really good phone. Someone posted an e-bay link recently to a handlebar mounting holder for an iPhone. (mines same physical size).

I realise I can run google maps and sat nav software, but what other apps have you (or anyone else) found that may be of interest?

Thanks, Dave

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Cycle GPS Device

Maplins have what you want Blackpanther .It`s called a HOLUX Sports GPS and Geotagger . I bought one last Christmas for £49 in their sale .You can set it for walking , cycling or motorised transport and it will give you altitude , speed , max. speed achieved , distance covered , time taken etc .It measures 80x55x20mm , is powered by an inbuilt Li-ion battery and has a life of 28 hrs without backlight and 18 hrs with backlight .
I have used it to calibrate the speedos on my Scooters and Suzuki X7 Motorcycle and take it in my pocket on the pedal cycles and Electric bike to see distances covered and speeds .For walking it provides interest . I live in Barry at 200 ft above sea level and you can start at the top of the beach at Barry Island reading 0ft and walk to the sea at low tide and get to -38 ft . On the way back it is informative to look at the various height readings . When I calibrated my powered two-wheelers I bought an MP3 Player Case for 99p from Poundland with a transparent front and it has velcro to strap to your arm .
I notice there is a later model now supplied with a cycle mount for £69.99 , they do go down in price when Maplin`s have a sale . The order code for the latest model is A87 JH . Look at Maplin`s site under Sat Nav to see the details and they have others in wrist watch form .I can recommend the Holux , it`s a very nice bit of kit .

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Maplins have what you want Blackpanther .It`s called a HOLUX Sports GPS and Geotagger
Wow, didn't know such a thing existed. It does a bit more than I need, but I like the idea! It looks like Maplins have discontinued it, but as there's a branch just over a mile from me, I'll pop in next week and see if they have offers on anything similar.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Hi Mussels,

I'm interested in what you can do with the smartphone in terms of cycle application.

I've a Samsung Galaxy i9000 with about 4" screen. It runs Android so all the apps are available. Really good phone. Someone posted an e-bay link recently to a handlebar mounting holder for an iPhone. (mines same physical size).

I realise I can run google maps and sat nav software, but what other apps have you (or anyone else) found that may be of interest?

Thanks, Dave
for android i would look at 'sportstracker' or 'my tracks' for iphone 'map my ride' and 'cyclemeter'.

i use mapmyride for iphone and cant fault it. keeps the gps signal even with the phone in my back jersey pocket.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford

:confused:
Wish I could say mine looked like that!

Attachments

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
for android i would look at 'sportstracker' or 'my tracks' for iphone 'map my ride' and 'cyclemeter'.

i use mapmyride for iphone and cant fault it. keeps the gps signal even with the phone in my back jersey pocket.
Thanks Paul. I've now downloaded a few Apps but like the look of "Sportstracker" the most.

Having tried it (in the car I hasten to add :D ) I have quickly remembered how quickly Apps, GPS etc hammers the phone battery. It would not be practical to do a longish ride and expect the phone to last out.

What I need is a step down transformer down from a nominal 36v to a nominal 12v so that I could rig up a power supply to the phone the bike battery. Could anyone with appropriate knowledge tell me what I would need?

I have a cigarette lighter socket and room in my battery box to mount it. Anyone?

Thanks, Dave

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Last edited:

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
I don't have an I-phone (I'm a pay-as-you-go fiver a month guy) but are these phones actually water/weather proof to use on a bike?

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I don't have an I-phone (I'm a pay-as-you-go fiver a month guy) but are these phones actually water/weather proof to use on a bike?
No they are certainly not waterproof and you'd have to remove it and put it in your pocket if it started raining!

Thanks for the links NRG. I had searched the forum but hadn't considered the 5v USB option. I'm an RC heli man anyway and the link below will get the job done for less than a tenner!

UBEC 5A (8-40v) SBEC Switching BEC for Lipo UK Sale!! on eBay (end time 30-Dec-10 09:49:44 GMT)

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
D

Deleted member 4366

Here's my setup for iphone 3g:
Software: B-icycle
B.iCycle BIKING WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!
Plots your position on cycle routes and roads like Tomtom does for roads. Also keeps track of where you've been. Gives all info like a cycle computer

Mount: Bicycle Bike Mount Holder Cradle For Apple iPhone 4 4G on eBay (end time 25-Jan-11 15:07:18 GMT)
Cheap but you need to provide your own waterproof cover.

Power: Security CCTV Camera 12V Rechargeable Lithium Battery B on eBay (end time 02-Jan-11 02:43:20 GMT)
It came with a jack lead that I cut and fixed a car cigaraette lighter socket to it. Then I use a standard car charger for the iphone. This gives enough power to keep the iphone display going all day (and more). The battery and charger live in my pannier and the charger lead runs up the crossbar to the handlebars.

This setup may seem a little bit bulky and complicated, but allows you to use the gps to track your position on cycle routes and roads for prolonged journeys, whilst at the same time recording it and providing real time display data on speed, distance, etc.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
i have a power jacket for my iphone which was £17 from play.com. doubles the battery life and is plenty for all but the longest rides. i always have my phone in my pocket and have a garmin 705 mounted on the stem. the garmins are completely waterproof but not a good investment for the casual cyclist.