Cycle Lanes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Politeness when passing pedestrians has definitely paid off the best for me, a "good morning/afternoon" is always well received. Slowing down when passing pedestrians also helps, once on a cyclepath when slowing right down with single ping on a bell, the lady pedestrian I was passing from behind said "Thank you for using your bell" with a smile. It doesn't get much better than that.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Here lies the problem of shared cycle paths, Ignorance of the 'plebian' peds, so to quote a former Cabinet minister!!!!

If I am on the recumbent trike facing oncoming peds, the thought of a whirling chainset attacking there shins gets them out of the way quick, also the novelty of a recumbent makes them notice,should they be paying scant attention.
e
But I think the hierarchy of the lowly 'ped' walking on a cycle path is going to overcome the legitamate, i.e cycle users,in terms of the law, when accidents occur.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You just reminded me of another hazard on the cycle paths: Would you believe it? Cyclists. At least half of them coming at me stay right so that we're on a collision path. I shout out "stay left", but that just causes them to panic, and we both have to do an emergency stop.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
......But SHOULD you be on the cycle path!

there is a distinction to be made, there are bike users ,and there are cyclists even if they are power assisted.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
......But SHOULD you be on the cycle path!

there is a distinction to be made, there are bike users ,and there are cyclists even if they are power assisted.
Sorry:confused: What is the distinction as far of right of way on cycle paths ?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Loud horns doesn't work. It just makes the pedestrians angry, so they shout abuse. They don't know that they're in the wrong. I've even had themm shout out that I shouldn't be riding on the footpath.
I'd like a car horn fitted to my bike for use on the roads please. If anyone out there designing them is listening ....

A quick toot toot would be a lot more effective if a car started pulling out of a junction in front of you on occasion than the fruitless gesture of stroking one's bell in effectively silent protest. Cars use them in such circumstances so why not bikes ?

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I'd like a car horn fitted to my bike for use on the roads please. If anyone out there designing them is listening ....

A quick toot toot would be a lot more effective if a car started pulling out of a junction in front of you on occasion than the fruitless gesture of stroking one's bell in effectively silent protest. Cars use them in such circumstances so why not bikes ?
Politness of course is always to be desired as first response, but would like to have a back up such as 103Alex1 suggests, but maybe the horn could sounds much like those 50 tonnes six-axle articulated lorries

Last edited:

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Sorry:confused: What is the distinction as far of right of way on cycle paths ?
None.

The law is very clear, both EAPCs and EPACs are, in law, bicycles. The same laws and byelaws apply to approved electric bikes as apply to non-electric bikes, as they are legally exactly the same thing.

If the electric bike in question is not approved to either the EAPC regulations (easy to check, as it has to carry a data plate if it is so approved under SI 1168) or the EPAC regulations (also easy to check as it has to have EU Type Approval to EN15194) then it is a motor vehicle in law, and as such cannot use any public highway that is not approved for motor vehicle use (and most cycle paths would fall into that category).

If your electric bike has neither an EAPC data plate on the frame, nor has an EPAC Type Approval number, then irrespective of the motor power, bike weight, maximum speed or whatever, it's a motor vehicle, not a bicycle, and cannot legally be used on any publicly accessible road, path, byeway or track without registration, insurance and the rider being suitably licensed, wearing a helmet, etc.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
The distinction I was trying to make , was between the feckless and ignorant idiots that ride around on pavements at high speed on bikes with little roadworthiness often at night sans lights,and with little regard for highway code, rather than Cyclists who on the whole obey the rules of self preservation ( i am a cyclist,and yes I have ridden on pavements ,with regard.)

It is this that has ,caused road users to think that cyclist are oxymoron's .which have of course their fare share of oxymoron, most probably the one that is heading straight at you whilst texting on the 'phone!!

sorry to reply late,I was out being a cyclist

D

Deleted member 4366

We tried that, but it didn't work very well. I think it's because people don't expect that sound on what they think is the footpath. They hear it at the last moment after several toots, and then they panic and jump directly into your path instead of calmly stepping to the side. We also tried the bells that "ping" with little success; however, I went out for a ride on an Oxygen E-mate with one of those "bring bring" old fasioned type bells, and it seemed to get a really good response from the pedestrians. The journey wasn't long enough to draw any firm conclusions, so I ordered a couple of those bells to do a longer evaluation.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I have just bought a new bell for my bike, and am very pleased with it. It is 3 inches diameter, and the base of the bell is a second gong. Thus the shape is that of a squashed sphere, or to be pedantic, an "oblate spheroid". When you press the lever, it goes "ding", and when you release it, it goes "dong". The musical notes are the E above middle C, and middle C. It is quite loud, so I ring it about 100 metres before an obstruction, and again at 50 metres if there has been no response.
The musical tone is so pleasant that it usually evokes a smile.It is similar to Ebay item 360372226753.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
We also tried the bells that "ping" with little success; however, I went out for a ride on an Oxygen E-mate with one of those "bring bring" old fasioned type bells, and it seemed to get a really good response from the pedestrians. The journey wasn't long enough to draw any firm conclusions, so I ordered a couple of those bells to do a longer evaluation.
Funny thing, but I changed the bell on my latest build (the Swift) to a "bring, bring" one a couple of weeks ago, because I was deeply unimpressed with the "ping" one I got from the LBS when I originally built the bike.

I've found the same thing with pedestrians (most of the time). Maybe it's because there is something traditional about a bike bell that makes that sound?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've found the same thing with pedestrians (most of the time). Maybe it's because there is something traditional about a bike bell that makes that sound?
I'm sure that's true. A friend once equipped his car with an electric horn that loudly and faithfully mimicked the double sound of the early rubber bulb car horns. Far from annoying anyone, pedestrians and other car drivers loved it, showing their obvious amusement and pleasure every time it was sounded.

Maybe we see the past as less threatening.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
You just reminded me of another hazard on the cycle paths: Would you believe it? Cyclists. At least half of them coming at me stay right so that we're on a collision path. I shout out "stay left", but that just causes them to panic, and we both have to do an emergency stop.
This happens to me frequently. I can understand young children, but I bet most of the adults are car drivers and you would think that it would be instinctive to keep left.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
We have the same problem, only more often, as we have an immigrant population of more than 50%. To most of these, riding on the right hand side of the road is instinctive. There have been at least two accidents, and numerous near misses as they sometimes do the same whilst driving cars.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
This happens to me frequently. I can understand young children, but I bet most of the adults are car drivers and you would think that it would be instinctive to keep left.
Student on a bike the other day heading through bollards.... saw him coming and not really looking so stopped well short to let him go first. Silly little bleeder careered through staring at the ground straight at me and by the time he even saw me there (stopped), slammed on his brakes, nearly toppled over and missed my front wheel by literally an inch.

I'm all for freedoms but the idea of people like that out on bikes makes me very nervous - it was like Maureen from Drive School, only on a bicycle ! It's at times like that you wonder whether proficiency tests should really be brought in after all !!!

We tried that, but it didn't work very well. I think it's because people don't expect that sound on what they think is the footpath.
Thing is, I don't want it for footpaths - very rarely ride on them or on cycle paths unless they are bus lanes / part of the road itself. I stick to the road most of the time as the surfaces are usually better. It's for use with car drivers who cannot hear anything unless it's a car horn - and not even that if their stereo is up on full blast in the car :(