Cycle Mirror

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
ive got the vita uno but the handlebars are quite a small diameter tube ,so slide of handle bar grip and measure the inner diameter.

I ordered of ebay or amazon the ends of mirrors were far to big a diameter to fit. cant recall make

in the end got a railegh one but had to file out the handle bar for it to fit.

might pay you to local bike shop and see what fits
The Mirrycle fits the Vita Uno with no problem, for next time!

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
83 now. Mainly to provoke oldtom...

A

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Going back to those mirrors I mentioned back in post #35
I can now say from first hand experience, there blooming good mirrors, there's a clear view and no vibration, nice and solid and at £6 (£11.99 for two) exelent value.

Recomended :cool:

Oh I nearly forgot, there not handed so a pr will do for two bikes :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I can't agree weight is irrelevant on an ebike.

A few grammes difference is not important between one mirror or another.

But putting several heavy accessories on an ebike will see the weight mount up, and it will have an impact on handling (on and off the bike), responsiveness, and battery range.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Mirror Mirror on the ebike,what do you need to be to pass the M.S.V.A.I need to be fitted to the offside.I need to be convex and in a protective housing with a radius of 2.5 mm.I need to be not less than 94 mm wide and not more than 150mm.When I'am not circular I must be able to contain a 78 mm circle and be no larger than 120mm x 200mm.Must be fited 280 mm from the centre line of the bike.If I protrude more than 100 mm from the bikes outer edge,I must be able to be knocked back on impact.

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
I've had a few of those Halcyon mirrors on older motorbikes, and they are good quality kit. Also, they can be oriented 'portrait' or 'landscape' depending on your needs, and I can confirm they fold right back in a nice chunky way. But yes, very heavy. Even though I have electric assistance, I still try to reduce weight wherever possible. The less the bike weighs, the faster I go and the fitter I get. Unless you regard weight as a virtue and slogging extra poundage up the hills is a kind of resistance training! I've got my eye in a Mirrycle, but I have dropped a couple of hints locally, so I am waiting to see what Santa brings before pulling the trigger.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I can't agree weight is irrelevant on an ebike.

A few grammes difference is not important between one mirror or another.

But putting several heavy accessories on an ebike will see the weight mount up, and it will have an impact on handling (on and off the bike), responsiveness, and battery range.
Yes, you have a point of course. When I first started ebiking a few years ago I tried the 'usual' market-leaders in mirrors like Mirrcycle, and the elegant Busch and Muller long-stem version. Some broke with rough-ish handling (that's life in London's hurly-burly), some didn't - but they all, bar none, vibrated!

I had a look at the Halcyon mirror, and must say that as well as its much larger (and thus better) image, it WAS the weight that appealed to me. And lo and behold, mounted on the end of first my Wisper's bars, and more recently on my Dave-designed one-off, vibrate it does NOT. Steady as a rock.

And to repeat what I believe to be an essential safety point: using such a mirror, big as it is, means that when you DO need an instant glance behind, it is there, ready - on smaller mirrors there MUST be a split-second wasted in locating the mirror's image in your field of view.

Might be wrong, of course; perhaps it's just justification for my odd buying choices, but I'm no judge!

Al

ps sorry, oldtom, to further upset your digestion.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
It's probably fair to accept that for cycling in London, a need to get instant and accurate access to your mirror is very much a priority. My village, and surrounding countryside has relatively light traffic, and drivers are generally in much less of a rush than in London. A good motorbike mirror, which is consequently heavier, uglier but easier to use is more of a priority for some riders.

I still maintain though that the Mirrycle does not vibrate on either my Juicy Classic or Hubby's Vita Uno!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes, you have a point of course. When I first started ebiking a few years ago I tried the 'usual' market-leaders in mirrors like Mirrcycle, and the elegant Busch and Muller long-stem version. Some broke with rough-ish handling (that's life in London's hurly-burly), some didn't - but they all, bar none, vibrated!
What are you riding on? My b+m short stem does not vibrate ever and it is on a steel frame non suspended bike...

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Well, Santa didn't take the hint, so I bought myself a Mirrycle after Christmas. It's the MTB model for flat bars. I had to cut the end of the right-hand ergo grip to fit it, but it now looks as if it was born there. No regrets at all - I wonder how I did without it. Easy to adjust and stays put, no vibration at all, big enough for a useful image. Highly recommended.

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Well, Santa didn't take the hint, so I bought myself a Mirrycle after Christmas. It's the MTB model for flat bars. I had to cut the end of the right-hand ergo grip to fit it, but it now looks as if it was born there. No regrets at all - I wonder how I did without it. Easy to adjust and stays put, no vibration at all, big enough for a useful image. Highly recommended.
Ditto. Based on the recommendations on this thread I recently bought a Mirrycle and..err..I've never looked back. Actually I do still look back almost as much as ever but it's good to see what's going on behind, clearly with no vibration; I don't know why I didn't get one sooner. The Mirrycle is also quite inexpensive for what you get .

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Fit a little web cam under your saddle, bluetoothed to your smartphone on the handlebar mount.

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Well, the Mirrycle had its first test this morning at 6.30 am. On my way home from work, I skidded on some ice and went down. Very low speed, and no damage to myself or the bike. The Mirrycle took the impact. Knocked out of position, but otherwise not a scratch. I fully expected the stem to snap, but no - solid as a rock. Highly impressed.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Hoping never to have to test it in that way but it is certainly encouraging.
Glad your OK BD.
Oh, and thanks for testing the mirror!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Black Dog

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
The Mirrycle is the best I've come across. I've been using them for years and have them fitted on three of my bikes.

I broke the glass on one recently when I came off my cargo bike on ice.
I've searched for a new one but it seems the glass replacement, on it's own, is only available from the USA.

It's the first time I've damaged one and they've taken a lot of knocks. Just a pity the replacement glass isn't available as the bracket on mine is still fine.