Cycle Mirror

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Any recommendations for a cycle mirror.
I want the bar end type, but it must be able to fold out of the way. We have lots of restrictors (can't think what else to call them) round here that are two plates on tubes, you can just squeeze a bike through but would not get a horse or motorcycle through.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The Cateye BM500, or if you want smaller and lighter, BM300, are good mirrors. I like the 300 and have been using one for over 2 years. Its the best safety device that I have fitted to the bike.

I go through those horse filter things which you describe, but I do have to stop, lift the front wheel off the ground, turn the handlebars through 45 degrees and shuffle forwards whilst astride the bike. It adds about 20 seconds to your journey time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wish the authorities were more imaginative about these restrictors. Some while ago when creating some foot and cycle paths through a few kilometers of local woodlands, I created a different restrictor. This was the narrow pedestrian one but with a low square arch alongside that one passed a bike through at the same time. So there was a momentary dismount, but no restriction on the bike width. Although in theory one could also pass through a light motorbike with a little difficulty, that never occurred despite them being a nuisance on all the other paths in the area.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
We had a discussion about vibration and mirrors a while back, and oldtimer recommended this one:

Blackburn Multi Fit Mirror | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

as being least prone to vibration. I got one, and can concur, although over very rough roads it still wobbles about - I think all bar-mounted mirrors do. If that is a major problem, then maybe a head-mounted version would suit better.

One additional problem on the Wisper was that the internal diameter of the bars is smaller than normal, so I had to modify the plastic mount to make it fit; but looking at the mirror on ChainReaction there now appears to be an alternative version which fits onto your bars rather than inside them (I couldn't use this as I've got a throttle!).

Allen.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
We had a discussion about vibration and mirrors a while back, and oldtimer recommended this one:

Blackburn Multi Fit Mirror | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

as being least prone to vibration. I got one, and can concur, although over very rough roads it still wobbles about - I think all bar-mounted mirrors do. If that is a major problem, then maybe a head-mounted version would suit better.

One additional problem on the Wisper was that the internal diameter of the bars is smaller than normal, so I had to modify the plastic mount to make it fit; but looking at the mirror on ChainReaction there now appears to be an alternative version which fits onto your bars rather than inside them (I couldn't use this as I've got a throttle!).

Allen.
I was going to recommend that one as I got mine from Dave's recommendation to!

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I swear by the Topeak Bar n Mirror. Fold it out when you're in traffic and fold it back in again when you get off-road. Very tough too. I've got score marks down one of them where it slid along the road when I came off on black ice. Still works great though.

Some don't get on with the narrow mirror - it's a curved mirror though so you still see the whole of the road but in a narrow image. If your eyesight isn't good then go for a bigger mirror.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
My favourite is Mirrycle mirrycle.com: mirrycle mirrors good quality and easy folding. Just Google for the best price or look on eBay Mirrycle Mountain Mirror | eBay UK
I second that. I've tried several types but this one is far and away the best in my opinion.

Pro-connected

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2011
Edinburgh
Kalkhoff Mirrors

Who makes the mirrors fitted to Kalkhoffs? I can recommend them for toughness, at least. Happily cycling along on Saturday attempting a minor re-adjustment of the mirror position when I clumsily flicked the mirror out of the bar-end and onto the road. A couple of cars missed it, but I think the SUV driver deliberately went over it! I managed to pick it up then, and to my astonishment it was in just 2 pieces! One almost whole mirror and a small plastic flake off the mounting surround. The mirrored surface is scratched and there's a rattle from inside, but it went straight back on and off I went. Used some 'No-more nails' when I got back, so hopefully it's a bit-more 'senior-moment' resistant. I think it must be made from weapons-grade plastic!

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
My opinion on the Zefal Dooback.

The Good:-
Looks smart.
Super light, so absolutely no vibration
Comes with shim for fitting to almost any bars
Folds back out of the way and returns to original position accurately
'Safe' plastic mirror, no chance of shattering

The not so good:-
A bit fiddly to set up, though others may be the same?
With a plastic mirror i knew the reflection would not be perfect, and its not, perfectly acceptable though, i can recognise whatever is behind right into the distance, though its not good enough to recognise who is in the vehicle.
Would probably scratch more easily than glass.
Don't forget the mirrors are handed, order the correct side if only ordering one.

The Bad:-
Nothing at all, i got what i expected and i am pleased with mirror :)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I'm in the market for a mirror myself now, so this thread is very useful so I will be reading all the reviews and comments carefully to help me decide what to get and will post back my own review shortly.

There's so many instances when I wish I had a mirror fitted and a few instances where I've had near misses and definitely wish I had one!

I think it's a must have item on bikes these days but particularly so on ebikes.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
[QUOTE
There's so many instances when I wish I had a mirror fitted and a few instances where I've had near misses and definitely wish I had one!

I think it's a must have item on bikes these days but particularly so on ebikes.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I'm considering it Morphix. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, (or maybe it's just me) but I can look over my right shoulder fairly comfortably on my other bikes with straight bars but on my Gazelle, I tend to wobble slightly and I think it's down to the different riding position. I feel better braced to rotate my head while using straight bars.

Regards,
Indalo

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
In my case the mirror is quite literally a life-saver, as I haven't got any useful vision in my right eye! Thus, looking over my right shoulder is only theatre, and of no use at all. I still DO look over my shoulder, having first looked in my mirror, just to emphasise to following drivers that I have some intentions.

The things I like about the Blackburn are:
a) fairly big, clear image;
b) sticks out a reasonable distance so I can see what's behind me rather than shots of my elbow;
c) very good for vibration - not perfect, but good.

A.