CYCLE TUBE SEALANT

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi all,
Does anyone on here use puncture resistant tyre tube liquid sealant eg (Slime)?
Is it effective and up to how many years can it stay in the tube before braking down and requiring replacing?

MS

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i use stans no tubes but it can ball up if you are not using the bike and can go off in the bottle as well if you dont shake it up now and then.

i replace it every 3 months in both tyres if it needs topping up but i remove the old stuff if there is not much left for new.

• Informative
Reactions: mountainsport

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Hi all,
Does anyone on here use puncture resistant tyre tube liquid sealant eg (Slime)?
Is it effective and up to how many years can it stay in the tube before braking down and requiring replacing?

MS
I posted the following some time ago - it says it all for me:
Just for info....
5 miles from home and 20 miles into my ride last night I managed to run over 2 hawthorn hedge trimmings, complete with spikes, in my front tyre (Marathon Mondial). I stopped, thinking it was just a twig stuck in the mudguard, but no such luck. I could hear the air hissing out as soon as I stopped, however once I had pulled out the thorns and revolved the wheel the hissing stopped and I was able to complete the ride home with the tyre still quite hard. New tube complete with Slime now installed after a third thorn removed from the tyre.

Jim

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I use slime in my front (non motor wheel) and got thousands of miles before an eventual puncture.When I went to repair that one, I came across about 5 others which then also needed repairing so I binned the tube.
This is a pic of the tyre which I continued to use for a few thousand more miles after the photo and before that puncture.
So needless to say, I will always have it in a non marathon+ tyre'd wheel.
slime tyre.jpg

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I use slime in my front (non motor wheel) and got thousands of miles before an eventual puncture.When I went to repair that one, I came across about 5 others which then also needed repairing so I binned the tube.
This is a pic of the tyre which I continued to use for a few thousand more miles after the photo and before that puncture.
So needless to say, I will always have it in a non marathon+ tyre'd wheel.
View attachment 16979
Is that machine gun fire ?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Slime will seal punctures of up to 2mm in size. If you're unfortunate enough to get a bigger puncture, as I was in this video, you should carry spares and the tools to do the job. :oops:

• :D
Reactions: IR772

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
Have used slime with great results when I was running tubes
now use a home made Stans substitute now I am tubeless on both my bikes .
Home made because fatbike tyres need lots of sealant and Stans is expensive .
here is it in action

Reactions: LeighPing and IR772