CycleCharge Project - Announcements & Discussions

C

Cyclezee

The 2 people who set it up did so on a purely voluntary non profit basis with some help from sponsorship to cover costs.

I'm sure they welcome help from anyone with some time to spare.

Reactions: morphix

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
The 2 people who set it up did so on a purely voluntary non profit basis with some help from sponsorship to cover costs.

I'm sure they welcome help from anyone with some time to spare.
Just to confirm, are those two members Morphix and Funkylyn?

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi guys, thanks for your messages of support! After a long hiatus this year with CycleCharge owing to health and personal stuff, I'm pleased to announce we're still alive and well.

There's also some significant developments I'd like to tell you about..

First of all, CycleCharge is now CycleCharge Ltd - a fully registered non-profit company limited by guarantee (this was long overdue!). We're also applying for a "charity-lite" status with the Charities Commission to make the tax and fund-raising side of things simpler and more transparent.

The aims of the new company are straightforward, basically to continue doing what CycleCharge was originally set-up to do, namely:

a) Provide free to use Charge Points in conjunction with local businesses
b) To promote e-bikes as an alternative to cars, as a cleaner energy, less expensive and community-friendly from of transport.

But also:

c) To provide cheap heavily discounted electric CycleCharge branded batteries and super-compact chargers (and some larger faster chargers permanently at Charge Points for members to use freely).

No doubt c) has got some forum members attention and will raise questions and maybe some concerns... "like isn't this moving into commercial territory and won't it upset the e-bike industry?"

Well the answer is no and no. We're not going to charge a membership fee or anyway try to push CycleCharge batteries onto members. They're simply there for DIY'ers if you want them (batteries are after all the biggest expensive component on e-bikes and an obstacle for many to ownership, so if we can address that, and make bikes for affordable and safer - great. No more dealing with uncertain factories in China and risking import taxes and long delivery delays.. you can order from us and have your battery next day , tested by UK engineers. We're also planning to implement a battery recycling scheme, so if your battery breaks, we'll try our best to fix it at low cost (often using volunteers on the forum who I know are more than experienced and capable of doing this (in return for covering their time and any expenses)!

Btw, incase people were wondering, all the money from battery sales will be "asset locked" in CycleCharge Limited for the benefit of members and keeping the Charge Point network expanding and free to use. All members will be given a vote in CycleCharge Ltd, and a board will be appointed by members every few years. There will never be a membership fee, and everyone who is a member will be able to nominate other members to the board or apply themselves and take a turn in the decision and running process.

This is still very much a community-interest enterprise, intended to benefit, members, small businesses (the backbone of our economy), the wider community and the environment.

OK next piece of news... a new website is underway. Our website is starting to look dated and so I've decided it's time we move to Web 3.0 and embrace mobile devices, responsive design and the social media networking side of things. So expect a radically improved website coming soon which makes it easier to find and use Charge Points (CP's), add/review them etc. We're also going to add secure undercover bike lock-up storage areas near to CP's, and CP's that are "bike storage friendly" such as bike shops on to our Google interactive map and on the CycleStreets Android app you can use on your phones.

We've had the idea (to encourage a much high take-up rate of CP's and make volunteers job of persuading them easier, of offering a simple guarantee to CP's. Which goes like this: they will never be hindered by bicycles on premises, held liable, or be out of pocket as a result of our members using their electric. We're going to re-work the leaflet flyers volunteers hand out to potential Charge Points to incorporate this guarantee along with a QR code for quick sign-up plus a manual "fill in your details and we'll add you" form area.

We're also looking at the idea of incorporating a QR code scanning on members keyring fob cards and on CP's premises with an app (Android & Windows) developed for Charge Points and members to monitor usage, and provide stats feedback for the new website, but this is something much further down the line.

Finally, I'm pressing the County Council and various government departments for some of the grants they mentioned we're eligible for. We appreciate all the donations and financial support members have generously provided to get CycleCharge this far, but we must make this self-sustaining in the longer-term and rely less on donations (either personal or industry). That said, we will still be inviting industry sponsorship donations if they want advertising on the site, and one-off donations or sponsorship for shows etc.

Speaking of which, I was at the CycleShow at the Bham NEC the other week (on personal business) and thought it a real shame we didn't have a stand there, but I'm sure by next year myself and Lynda will both be there with volunteers, a much better organised CycleCharge with the new batteries and chargers on show, and an even larger free to use CP network for our members.

All the best,

Paul Rogers

P.S. Remember CycleCharge still depends almost entirely on volunteers and the kindness of e-bike owners signing up CP's. It's only by spreading the word via e-mail, handing out leaflets, and ultimately talking about the benefits to local business up and down the UK that we can build a more compromise network with loads more free and interesting places to charge. If you think you can help out as a volunteer (you now get a fancy new volunteers card and "volunteer" green neck strap woohoo!) drop us a line, or call, and we'll send you some leaflets and window stickers over. I've been doing my bit lately and signed up a few in Redditch which are yet to go on the site! A lot of businesses realise the advantages and are keen to take part, but have reservations on bicycles being brought in, and charging safety/cost, so hopefully our guarantee will encourage more businesses to take a leap of faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris_comber

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Oh I forgot to mention.. the batteries under the CycleCharge brand are Lithium-Ion and the chargers look very similar to laptop's in size and weight/function, and are practically water-resistant with no fans or exposed areas, so ideal for carrying on bikes or in backpacks.

Although the cheap batteries will be basic cube or oblong shaped with a black or grey housing and typically 24/36V 10Ah, we can supply higher Ah rated and different shapes to those willing to pay a bit extra for custom builds, or for those in the e-bike building business who want to place a larger order for something custom designed. Sorry it's unlikely we'll be able to supply bottle batteries or rack mount flat ones under the CycleCharge brand, unless we get a lot of interest.

Anyone needing replacement basic high performance batteries or extra backups, is welcome to place a pre-order, and/or just register your interest so we can assess demand.

Note: The 7 hr chargers are provided free with the batteries, but the very slighty larger "Super fast - 3 hr from flat" (and still close to laptop sized with no fans) will be sold separately for a small charge.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Another CycleCharge battery update...

I will post some pics soon of the early batteries shortly off my phone. Myself, and a leading bicycle manufacturer have been using and testing these batteries and the chargers and I wanted to make sure they're safe and reliable before we started offering them. But for those curious or excited about cheaper batteries, prior to an official launch on the new site with the newly designed housings and branding, I'll post some pics.

As to pricing, we plan to offer them as cheap as possible for our members and end users. We're not about making profits, only concerned with covering CycleCharge's operating costs. Therefore the cost will be relative to that objective, and of course, have to cover actual production cost in China, tax and shipping. We're probably talking about prices in the region of £120 for 24V/10Ah and £150 for 36V/10Ah, but these costs could fall bit if we get a lot of demand and production/shipping costs decrease.

I have secured exclusive market rights for the battery and very compact charger technology for CycleCharge Ltd. I can confirm after personally testing them extensively on my own eMezzo e-bikes (both 24V and 36V) and getting them tested and checked through a qualified engineer in the UK that they are safe, very well made and perform excellently, so please do consider buying your batteries (or backups) from CycleCharge because:

1) We're non-profit and the money from sales helps cover CycleCharge operating costs and the promotion of e-bikes.
2) The more batteries sold by us, the cheaper they become for all and more affordable e-bikes are to build and use.
3) The CycleCharge branded batteries and charger technology will become more familiar and acceptable to Charge Points over time. You probably won't need to carry chargers around, as Charge Points will have the "Super Fast" ones available from us on loan to get you charged up and on the road quickly!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
The Radio Amateurs in the UK have a "Worked all Britain" scheme where they attempt to establish radio links from all the 1km squares on the British Ordnance Survey map, You can either be the person in the square transmitting to the world, or the person at home logging in the transmitter. Each event ends up with a tick in the square for either user. So we could have a similar scheme whereby e-bikers could log in entries when they use each chargepoint and see who can "Work all ChargePoints"
That's very interesting about the Radio Amateurs and an excellent idea for CycleCharge. I've always thought it would be great if we can get enough Charge Points to do some kind of event or challenge to see who can travel the furthest by e-bike using the Points! Perhaps we can do a charity event, or several when the weather is warmer and the network more complete!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Thanks for the heads-up John.

I think the Cyclecharge scheme is such a good idea and businesses are failing to see the potential benefits to their trade. Like everything else e-bike related in the UK, momentum builds at a snail-like pace, although this is in no way a dig at the schemes owners.
It has been slow indeed Daniel, but we're making steady progress thanks to the forum members efforts. I think now I'm back to my old self (almost) I can put my energy and effort into getting more Charge Points established.

As you pointed out, one of the main problems is a) e-bike's are quite rare still in many parts of the UK (in my town I've only ever seen 2 in a town of 100,000+ people, and the police didn't even know what they are!) The industry just is very slow to take off here it seems, and that's obviously limiting what we can do with CycleCharge for now, but I think we're laying the foundations for the future, and I'm sure as the cost of e-bikes continues to fall and more people learn about them, the Points will become more easy to sign and find. Like all technology, when it's new it's very expensive, but the cost can fall dramatically, it just takes a while to fall as the product becomes widely adopted.

On the continent (and in Germany especially) it's very different, and e-bikes are a more common sight. Perhaps we should expand over there and cater for the UK tourist e-bikers also ;-)

Hurricane

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2010
Perthshire
Is there any charge points around or about Kielder water?
How do I find a list of charge points?

Thanks

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Is there any charge points around or about Kielder water?
How do I find a list of charge points?

Thanks
There's a full directory listing at www.cyclecharge.org.uk by region, you can also use the GoogleMap feature on the site to view list near a postcode.

Hurricane

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2010
Perthshire
Thanks for the reply. I have tried to connect to the website using Internet explorer and google chrome and can't open it. Keep getting message "This page can't be displayed" in internet explorer and in google chrome
This web page is not available

What am I doing wrong

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Another CycleCharge battery update...

I will post some pics soon of the early batteries shortly off my phone. Myself, and a leading bicycle manufacturer have been using and testing these batteries and the chargers and I wanted to make sure they're safe and reliable before we started offering them. But for those curious or excited about cheaper batteries, prior to an official launch on the new site with the newly designed housings and branding, I'll post some pics.
Following on from this earlier post, I have now managed to get some pics of the new CycleCharge Li-ion batteries. They don't have housings yet, nor professional labels, but at least this gives you an idea of build quality and size.

From left to right: 24V10Ah, and 36V10Ah Lithium-Ion batteries, regular charger and fast mode higher current charger. The batteries use the standard IEC (Kettle plug, female) for power out, and female barrel-style connector for power input from the chargers. I had them designed this way for safety so there's no mistake when it comes to charging, and very low risk of a short or shock from the batteries.

Note: the slighter taller charger is the "super fast" one that charges from flat in < 3 hours, and this is the charger we'd like Charge Points to have. The slightly smaller and slightly lighter one next to it is the normal trickle charger one, which takes < 7 hrs to charge from flat. These are based on a 36v/10Ah battery charge.

As to the battery housings, the ones we received from China just weren't suitable at all (I think something got lost in translation somewhere and we ended up with battery cases that resembled mini-car battery housings!

We're still looking for suitable housings... ideally what we want is something in matt black or grey ABS plastic that looks similar to our charger housings (only taller/wider of course with two connections at either side (charging input via barrel connector, and power output via female IEC connector/cable). If anyone has any sources cheap, do post.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
i am also getting the same message?
Sorry guys the CycleCharge site is down for a while as we transition to a new more advanced server and website. I'll put a temporary site page up asap, but it will take a few days < week, to get the new Web 3.0 website established. The old site was hosted on very antiquated hardware and software, and the disk started failing last week. Rather than restore it from backup data, I have decided to just to move to a Web 3.0 platform so we can enjoy the benefits of a more modern site that uses responsive/adaptive design for mobile and small screen devices.

Note: the new site is going to focus more on the Co2 reducing effects and benefits of e-bike usage, with news and blogging. Everyone is encouraged to take part in discussions, and welcome to contribute to blogging areas independently.

We want the CycleCharge 3.0 website to be a community think-tank and hub for innovation and ideas. Not just on the CycleCharge core objectives (operating the Charge Point network, servicing the member community with affordable batteries, whilst helping/promoting the e-bike industry as well as smaller businesses outside the industry), but also on exploring alternative energies, new innovations and technological development related to e-bikes. That of course includes solar power charging, more efficient motors and more advanced controller designs for better power management. cleaner and more efficient battery technology and charger designs... charging and Co2 offsetting strategies, and the establishment of CycleCharge-operated e-bike battery recycling program etc. And also the huge emerging area of mobile-apps and Web 3.0 technology, offering us the ability to plan more efficient e-bike travel routes, find Charge Points easier, and avoid getting wet!

When you consider every person on the planet produces an average of 5 tons of Co2 [1] which scientists think is going to have catastrophic effects in the near future for millions of people and parts of the world with very fragile eco-systems, then CycleCharge now has a key role to play. If we can get people out of their cars and onto an e-bike, Co2 is reduced on an order of magnitude. People are likely to get fitter/healthier (and richer by saving money) and the environment benefits. It's a win win situation.

With the EU now having passed a "Carbon Law" on all the member states, and the UK and other countries fast moving to low-carbon economy policies and incentives, we'd do well to position CycleCharge as a champion for this cause, if we're to encourage eco-grants and eco-investment.

Now that we're a Company Limited by Guarantee (with asset-locked investment and not-for-profit objectives) and also able to obtain partial charity status, it should be *a lot* easier than previously, to apply for Lottery/Government/EU grants, and attract this type of eco-funding from larger non-organisations looking to offset Co2 or see their investment repaid in real-term Co2 reductions.

[1] source: Bill Gates, Gates Foundation, "Innovation to Zero" - their project to eliminate Co2 - yes, eliminate totally, not just reduce!

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Already got one, it's my home;)
Totally useless in the dark:(
Like he said, not very practical in UK with our weather, the high cost of panels, and amount of voltage and current needed, the best you achieve is a trickle charge over many days, unless you spend a fortune.

However, I had an interesting call this week from a successful Israeli business man in London who is very interested in our CycleCharge project. He was asking me why there are so few e-bikes (even in London) in the UK and why the industry has been so slow growth. He told me in Israel e-bikes are commonplace and everywhere, like China.

He said Israel is a leading innovator in the e-bike industry worldwide (and many others) also has the ambitious aim of making its capital Tel Aviv the world's first 100% electric transport city, with e-bikes set to play a major role. Also as Israel enjoys all year round sun, solar charging is much more viable and economical over there he said, and Israel is investing heavily in alternative energy. He suggested we expand CycleCharge over there!

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I'd like your thoughts and suggestions on this guys....

1) green plugs: This is just kind of a novelty idea, but I thought it would be neat (and I'm sure Lynda agrees) if we had green mains plugs on our CycleCharge battery chargers (perhaps with a white-on-transparent logo motif) so that it fits in with the colour theme, and also helps identify the chargers easier (although all CycleCharge chargers will be branded clearly with our own labels and logo) so green plugs are not really necessary and we certainly won't go to any great expense to get them.

However, if anyone does know a cheap source of green 3-pin mains plugs in the UK or elsewhere, please do let us know. The cheapest I've seen is about £5 a plug on eBay, which seems a rip-off! We'd also be interested in green mains 4-5 gang extensions (ideally with surge protection), to allow multiple chargers to be plugged into a single mains socket.

2) Digital timer switching plugs: As I'm keen to get Charge Points eventually supplied with free Fast Mode 3 hr CycleCharge chargers (for members using CycleCharge batteries) further down the line, thinking ahead still further.. what about mains timer plugs (the LCD panel type where you punch in 30 mins ~ 8 hours) and then it cut-offs mains to the charger once it reaches that time interval. This may be useful for Charge Points to regulate charging if it's done "out back" or unsupervised, and so provides additional safety benefits for relatively low cost, as these digital mains timer switches can be had for around £6 retail (far less on greater economy of scale). It's also good for those CP's that only want to allow a maximum charging time per visit (i.e. cafe's or pubs offering a 30-40 min "top-up" charge"). The timers are also flexible enough to be set for different intervals, on different days or times of the day. Be interested in downside thoughts to this, or perhaps it's an entirely positive move if we offer these freely to Charge Points with simple to use instructions?

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Like he said, not very practical in UK with our weather, the high cost of panels, and amount of voltage and current needed, the best you achieve is a trickle charge over many days, unless you spend a fortune.
Solar panels are not at all practical anywhere including Israel in the dark.

As for cost our PV's were free although we don't get the feed in tarrif:(

At the time we had ours installed the government had reduced the FIT from 42p / Kwh to 28p.

Had I know what I know now I would have paid for them, on a good day they generate well over 20 Kwh.