cyclestreets android phone app help

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi all this is not really pedelec related, but I wish to try a local route, using cyclestreets on my pc I get the option of my location, and I type in road name of my destination. this I can then review or print.
I will be the first to admit mobile phone are not my strong point.

however I have downloaded and installed cyclestreets app for my android phone(I wish to try the live ride audio function) I was assuming the phone app would be the same as pc vertion select my position , and I type in destination?

however I seem to have a map of London and have to tap phone to start a route, (but I want Watford Hertfordshire) and cannot see a way of typing in a start point or postcode, is there a way of sending my route from my pc to the cyclestreets app on my smartphone.

I have tried left/right/up/down but still cannot get to a map of my part of the uk, I am downloading the uk map option as I am writing this.

any help info on this subject would be great
thank you

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Never tried that one but have tried a few others.. On map my ride you register on the pc program, make your map and save it to bookmarks. then when you log in to the app you can see any saved data and use it accordingly. Perhaps it's something similar..

freddie80

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2011
instead of pressing tap map to set start press menu button on phone,this should take you to the next menu press plan a route

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I use Cycle Streets quite a bit & it can be a tad eccentric :eek:)

Once you have the GB map in your phone, tap the gps button to centre it on your position then tap the little man representing you:
Scroll the map, by swiping, until you can see your destination or a waypoint, then tap the map to set it then tap the top bar to calculate a route. Zoom the map out to cover large distances, then back in for detail.

Unless you have good phone data coverage while out & about, plan a return route while you're on wifi & it'll save it for later.

Live Ride works quite well, but can be late warning of a turn, meaning you've passed the turning & it gives you too much information at times, so that a junction with several streets becomes Interesting :)

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks all bit clearer now, I selected menu/plan route/ top text box name of my road, lower text box name of destination.
this then gives me a map and I can then see live ride option.

if planning a route with cyclestreets on pc it tells me left/right etc and gives me all the names of the roads/streets /cycle paths and so on for the route.

I cannot see this info (re roads) on the phone app vertion or is this something I need to alter in settings or pick something else in menu
for the life of me I could not see a gps button anywhere in cyclestreets or the man?

will try live ride if we do get a descent day without rain and wind
whoops found the a-b for list of roads

Last edited:

freddie80

Feb 19, 2011
When you go to the map after inputting start and destination points at the top of screen theses a button which says AB this gives you a turn by turn preview of route

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
for the life of me I could not see a gps button anywhere in cyclestreets or the man?

will try live ride if we do get a descent day without rain and wind
whoops found the a-b for list of roads
You'll have to activate the gps function of your phone before starting the app. Once you centre the map on your location (tap the little rifle sight symbol- like a zero with NSEW hairs around it), the wee man should be centre screen.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks all gps was on but I had to set location to google maps in phone settings, gps icon now works and I get the wee man.
not tried a ride yet but like the a-b option ,much better than me having to print certain routes.

the only thing I am unsure off how do you delete a route from the phone app ?

freddie80

Feb 19, 2011
to delete go to phone menu again saved routes and then press and hold the route you want to delete

PennyDreamer

May 11, 2014
I always just use google maps for routes, on my iPhone, mounted on the handlebars in a waterproof holder. the only pain is it's not possible to pick your own route, but it does get you from a to b very reliably ( well apart from the ferry that didn't exist, the river Severn looks very wide when on an 80 mile ride, and you're supposed to get to the other side of it somehow!)

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi all a bit stuck today I planned a route , the first part left at the end of my road, 15 meters warning before turn, saved route -picked live ride.
I was actually walking I was expecting a voice or something to tell me turn left? speed was indicated at 2-3 mph
phone then shut down and I had passed the (point where I should have turned)

so bit baffled on whats amiss gps appears to be on ,as does wifi , and battery should be ok.

this is the first gps app etc I have tried.

thank you

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
It;ll sometimes fall over if you miss a turn & go too far off-route.

Tap your phone's back key, which should take you back to the page with the live ride button.
Tap live ride & all should proceed as before.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thank you jackhandy, my first trial of live ride was a bit frustrating, first im a bit deafo in one ear, and using my light reacting specs.

rode part of route I knew, turned on live ride, got audio directions for about 1 minute, (phone then shuts of or goes into stanby?) I then reactivate do left/right but no audio.

I then chose a-b option but because of the glaring sunlight on phone screen could not see the directions, tried in the shade but due to not having my bi focals could not see the riutes.

I just guessed the route and found my desternation. tried live ride later , got audio recalculating route, then nothing.

part of the above needing specs/hard of hearing is nothing to do with liveried but according to blurb on cyclestreets there is a padlock icon which

keeps the phone on ,rather than shutting down but pressing padlock nothing seems to work?

my second trial of live ride ill take some different specs or mag glass.

thank you

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Cyclestreets can be a tad frustrating at times, but it's worth persisting with.

You can change the distances for warnings, going off-route & recalculating etc. In Settings.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks jh received my irkon handlebar phone mount yesterday ,(was using phone tool bag affixed to stem.
as I can now rotate position phone its much easier to see the screen,
only slight problem in use is I found in traffic its hard to hear audio directions,
but noticed as one approaches a turn the yard/meters distance decreases for extra indication.

overall I really like this cycle app, I have a garmin edge 200 but cyclestreets seems a bit easier brcause of phone screen size