Cycling Accident :(

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014

I have no idea how it happened. I applied the brakes in good time but they didn't work and I'm not sure whether I should blame myself or if there was something wrong with the bike. I might have been going too fast and didn't expect the taxi to stop so suddenly. The chain is damaged as the pedals no longer move. I'm still in shock and apart from bleeding from my mouth and mild pain in my neck, I feel fine. I'm lucky that I didn't damage my front teeth, although at the time, I was almost certain that I had broken my teeth.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
very sorry to see this. It looks like you did not brake in time.

Last edited:

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
How very unfortunate.The main thing is that you suffered no serious harm. Hope you soon get your bike fixed, and get back in the saddle. It could have been much worse. Don`t let it put you off cycling.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
very sorry to hear this. It looks like you did not brake in time.
Thank you. Yes I thought so... but I think I'm in denial. I know it was my fault but I suppose I'm trying to make myself feel better. I feel so stupid.

How very unfortunate.The main thing is that you suffered no serious harm. Hope you soon get your bike fixed, and get back in the saddle. It could have been much worse. Don`t let it put you off cycling.
Thank you. Hopefully I'll be back on the road soon :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
no real harm done, that's the important bit. Should take the bike to a friendly bike shop to get it sorted. It shouldn't cost much.
I hit the kerb once last week, it sent me flying off the bike and I was lucky to get off with a couple scratches, I broke the mounting bracket of the LCD and my bike got a couple of scracthes too. Sometimes we forget that we go a lot faster than we think.

Reactions: CorpusLuteum

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
no real harm done, that's the important bit. Should take the bike to a friendly bike shop to get it sorted. It shouldn't cost much.
I hit the kerb once last week, it sent me flying off the bike and I was lucky to get off with a couple scratches, I broke the mounting bracket of the LCD and my bike got a couple of scracthes too. Sometimes we forget that we go a lot faster than we think.
Thanks. I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad you're ok. Yes I think I'm going to start slowing down. I feel that I deserved it and had it coming. My cycling has completely changed from when I first started a couple of months ago as I've started taking risks. I think I should consider this a wake up call and be glad that it wasn't too serious.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When traffic is quite heavy, sudden stops by the vehicles in front are common. Bikes aren't quite as well suited to sudden stops as motor vehicles, grabbing brake levers potentially a bit slower than stomping a brake pedal, and some bike brakes often have less initial bite too. Even worse in the wet, they have at least four fat tyes gripping the road while you only have two skinny patches in contact.

Best to leave a bit more space ahead and half expect those in front to stop at any moment

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
I'm mostly offroad, and even so, I have about one accident per year (I count it as an accident if I come off the bike and hit the ground), and every time it's because I did something stupid. One of my finest was, I got the bike out of the car, unfolded it ready to set off. But. when I put the handlebars on, I had the front (motor) wheel back to front.

So I sat in the saddle, kicked off to go forwards, gave it some throttle to get me going, the motor sent me backwards, and I immediately hit the ground, it being difficult to balance when going backwards, and impossible to balance going backwards when you were expecting to go forwards.

No damage done, fortunately.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm mostly offroad, and even so, I have about one accident per year (I count it as an accident if I come off the bike and hit the ground), and every time it's because I did something stupid. One of my finest was, I got the bike out of the car, unfolded it ready to set off. But. when I put the handlebars on, I had the front (motor) wheel back to front.

So I sat in the saddle, kicked off to go forwards, gave it some throttle to get me going, the motor sent me backwards, and I immediately hit the ground, it being difficult to balance when going backwards, and impossible to balance going backwards when you were expecting to go forwards.

No damage done, fortunately.
No helmet cam for this? Pity it could have cheered CL up no end.

Reactions: NZgeek
D

Deleted member 4366

Many of us a guilty of something similar. I went at full speed straight into a bollard on the cycle path that somehow i didn't see. The chain has probably jumped off and jammed behind the chain-wheel. See if you can hook it back out. Wear your Marigolds because it'll be very greasy.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Another one. I'd done some adjustments to the bike, so I took it into the back garden for a quick test. I didn't bother putting my bike helmet - after all, it was only my back garden. And I would be going fast. And it was just a coulpe of laps. No danger.

So I rode a couple of circles, then looked down at the chain position which was fine, looked up, and was just in time to see the small tree, which I *know* perfectly well is in the middle of the garden, about 10 feet away and coming straight for me, which was not fine. I had just enough time to say something appropriate and throw myself to the side, but I wasn't quite quick enough and one of the branches hit my head.

I lay there slightly annoyed, got up, and noticed a lot of red stuff pouring out onto the grass, and it wasn't antifreeze. I put the bike away, went into the house, dripping blood all over, had a look in a mirror, and decided to go to the Small Injuries Unit nearby (for small injuries, this is *much* better than an A&E).

Scalp wounds bleed a lot. I was wearing a white t-shirt, which was now partly white and mostly red, I looked like the victim of the Amersham Chainsaw Massacre. I kept explaining to people that it wasn't as bad as it looked, but they got me in front of a nurse very quickly. She cleaned me up (which was the main reason I went, I couldn't do it myself because I couldn't see what I was doing) and decided that I didn't need stitches, just a dab of glue.

So, all nicely glued together, I went home in my red and white t-shirt to explain to ladysolly why there was blood all over the kitchen, utility room and downstairs toilet and that it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Lesson learned - always wear your helmet.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Thanks. I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad you're ok. Yes I think I'm going to start slowing down. I feel that I deserved it and had it coming. My cycling has completely changed from when I first started a couple of months ago as I've started taking risks. I think I should consider this a wake up call and be glad that it wasn't too serious.
So sorry,CL, but your reaction is SO sensible. It happens to us all. My best ones were when I looked over my shoulder to see where my friend was and went wallop into the boot of a parked car. That buckled the front wheel, bent the forks and the top tube! I had to push it home on the back wheel. Another time I tried to get my hanky out with my right hand while crossing my left hand over to keep the throttle open.Brought me off very quick! Best wishes anyway. Glad it's not your new bike, and hope your face is ok!

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Thank you very much everyone for your kind, encouraging words. You guys are awesome :)

It was a bit selfish of the cabbie to just drive off like that. He must have heard the thud?
He came back to check up on me and when he saw that I was bleeding, he offered to take me home. He wasn't even worried about his cab. He was concerned about me. He didn't even accept my money after dropping me home. Faith in humanity restored :)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thank you very much everyone for your kind, encouraging words. You guys are awesome :)

He came back to check up on me and when he saw that I was bleeding, he offered to take me home. He wasn't even worried about his cab. He was concerned about me. He didn't even accept my money after dropping me home. Faith in humanity restored :)

Ah, good news, and I retract my accusation of selfishness.

Glad your ok CL.

stu

Pedelecer
May 4, 2014
Im glad you came out of it only slightly damaged but it must have left you feeling pretty shaken up.
I recon the way i have been cycling im an accident waiting to happen, ive been going too fast in busy places, jumped plenty of red lights, rode on the pavement, gone the wrong way up one way streets, broken the laws in every way possible, you could say i have been looking for trouble,
however i have seen the error of my ways and am going to change my behavior on the road. Thanks for posting the video im sorry you got hurt but at least its reminding people of the dangers out there.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Im glad you came out of it only slightly damaged but it must have left you feeling pretty shaken up.
I recon the way i have been cycling im an accident waiting to happen, ive been going too fast in busy places, jumped plenty of red lights, rode on the pavement, gone the wrong way up one way streets, broken the laws in every way possible, you could say i have been looking for trouble,
however i have seen the error of my ways and am going to change my behavior on the road. Thanks for posting the video im sorry you got hurt but at least its reminding people of the dangers out there.
Yes I feel the same and like I said, I definitely deserved it and had it coming. I also intend to change my ways after today. Thank you for your kind words :)

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
Glad no harm done - and it's a lesson in keeping one's distance. Never accelerate into a hazard, as my bike instructor (motorcycle) drummed in to me...

I once managed to cycle headfirst into a traffic sign that was about 7 feet tall - standing on the pedals of my MTB looking cool, I'd completely missed the large direction sign suspended on the two posts I thought I'd be swish and ride between rather than go around - the too-large peak of my 'off road' style helmet masked it. So head hits said sign with a loud thwack, amplified for everyone to hear - and the shock of it made me let go of the bars, the bike carried on for about 10 meters without me on it and I ended up on my a**e in a heap under the offending sign. Bruised bum and pride mainly, but my mates thought it the funniest thing they'd seen in ages, as did many of the people in the vicinity...